code: lean mixture on both banks and misfire on rt bank cyl2

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question code: lean mixture on both banks and misfire on rt bank cyl2

I have recently run into a problem with my 1998 F150 4X4 (5.4L). Sometimes it starts up and runs fine but other times it misses repeatedly for a period of time. Before I let a dealer figure this on out (only go to dealer for repairs), I would like to troubleshoot it myself. I haven't done anything thus far and think maybe I should start with the fuel filter and plugs. Any suggestions? I had the ecm read at a local Auto Zone.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Both banks running lean is normally caused by unmetered air getting to the engine so I would start by inspecting all of the rubber lines connected to the intake, a common failure is the back side of the 90 degree elbow in the PCV hose will crack letting air in.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by LastSplash
Both banks running lean is normally caused by unmetered air getting to the engine so I would start by inspecting all of the rubber lines connected to the intake, a common failure is the back side of the 90 degree elbow in the PCV hose will crack letting air in.

Thanks I will check it out.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by hgalofaro
I have recently run into a problem with my 1998 F150 4X4 (5.4L). Sometimes it starts up and runs fine but other times it misses repeatedly for a period of time. Before I let a dealer figure this on out (only go to dealer for repairs), I would like to troubleshoot it myself. I haven't done anything thus far and think maybe I should start with the fuel filter and plugs. Any suggestions? I had the ecm read at a local Auto Zone.

I had the same problem you are having and found out the there is a small 90 degree vacuum tube on the back left of the motor that connects the EGR vacuum system to the plenuum that may have a hole in it causing most of the miss/vibration and letting alot of air into the intake. I am still working on a small vibration that maybe an ERG or the regulator.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:40 AM
Mine is idling bad too, what is the plenuum?

Old 02-03-2008, 02:11 AM
i think he is refering to the PCV elbow not egr... its on the back of the intake and is a common failure. just follow the black tube from the PS valve cover around to the back of the intake and u will feel it.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam06FX4
i think he is refering to the PCV elbow not egr...
Yea , I think someones confused as hell

Old 02-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
How many miles on that 98 ? Do your coils have the GREEN tags on top?

That's good thinking about changing the fuel filter first - Knock the easy stuff out first . The filter could very easily be the problem.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-03-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Thumbs up 90 degree vacuum hose

I have a 98 4.2 efi with 196660 miles.
Same problem I had, Check the small 90 degree hose on the back upper left of the plenuum looking from the front of the truck it's kinda hard to get to but I changed that out and took care of 90% of the problem. Got to put a new EGR on to take cake of it all.
Hope this helps

Old 02-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Before putting a new EGR on I would check the EGR ports inside the throttle body elbow, they are very prone to clogging up wth carbon and causing the EGR system to not function properly.

Quick Reply: code: lean mixture on both banks and misfire on rt bank cyl2