F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   code: lean mixture on both banks and misfire on rt bank cyl2 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/318534-code-lean-mixture-both-banks-misfire-rt-bank-cyl2.html)

hgalofaro 01-28-2008 07:31 AM

code: lean mixture on both banks and misfire on rt bank cyl2

I have recently run into a problem with my 1998 F150 4X4 (5.4L). Sometimes it starts up and runs fine but other times it misses repeatedly for a period of time. Before I let a dealer figure this on out (only go to dealer for repairs), I would like to troubleshoot it myself. I haven't done anything thus far and think maybe I should start with the fuel filter and plugs. Any suggestions? I had the ecm read at a local Auto Zone. :confused:

LastSplash 01-28-2008 09:04 AM

Both banks running lean is normally caused by unmetered air getting to the engine so I would start by inspecting all of the rubber lines connected to the intake, a common failure is the back side of the 90 degree elbow in the PCV hose will crack letting air in.

hgalofaro 01-29-2008 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by LastSplash
Both banks running lean is normally caused by unmetered air getting to the engine so I would start by inspecting all of the rubber lines connected to the intake, a common failure is the back side of the 90 degree elbow in the PCV hose will crack letting air in.

Thanks I will check it out.

collinscw 01-31-2008 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by hgalofaro
I have recently run into a problem with my 1998 F150 4X4 (5.4L). Sometimes it starts up and runs fine but other times it misses repeatedly for a period of time. Before I let a dealer figure this on out (only go to dealer for repairs), I would like to troubleshoot it myself. I haven't done anything thus far and think maybe I should start with the fuel filter and plugs. Any suggestions? I had the ecm read at a local Auto Zone. :confused:

I had the same problem you are having and found out the there is a small 90 degree vacuum tube on the back left of the motor that connects the EGR vacuum system to the plenuum that may have a hole in it causing most of the miss/vibration and letting alot of air into the intake. I am still working on a small vibration that maybe an ERG or the regulator.

Delirium 02-03-2008 01:40 AM

Mine is idling bad too, what is the plenuum?

Adam06FX4 02-03-2008 02:11 AM

i think he is refering to the PCV elbow not egr... its on the back of the intake and is a common failure. just follow the black tube from the PS valve cover around to the back of the intake and u will feel it.

jbrew 02-03-2008 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Adam06FX4
i think he is refering to the PCV elbow not egr...

:lol: Yea , I think someones confused as hell :rolleyes: :lol:

jbrew 02-03-2008 12:54 PM

How many miles on that 98 ? Do your coils have the GREEN tags on top?

That's good thinking about changing the fuel filter first - Knock the easy stuff out first . The filter could very easily be the problem. :thumbsup:

collinscw 02-03-2008 04:14 PM

90 degree vacuum hose

:wave:
I have a 98 4.2 efi with 196660 miles.
Same problem I had, Check the small 90 degree hose on the back upper left of the plenuum looking from the front of the truck it's kinda hard to get to but I changed that out and took care of 90% of the problem. Got to put a new EGR on to take cake of it all.
Hope this helps:thumbsup:

FordTech1 02-03-2008 09:03 PM

Before putting a new EGR on I would check the EGR ports inside the throttle body elbow, they are very prone to clogging up wth carbon and causing the EGR system to not function properly.