Bush Killed The One-Fifties!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Bush Killed The One-Fifties!!!

Most of you have heard by now that Bush is signing some bill to make it mandatory that EVERY vehicle must get at a minimum 35 mpg by 2020. I dunno what Ford, Chevy, GMC, or Dodge plans to do, but they better think fast! Ford's tiny diesels sounds good, but I dont want a diesel engine and I don't want E85 either....

Dosen't sound good for the future of pick-ups...

Old 12-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So hes banning Nascar/hotrods and getting rid of classic cars?

GOOD LUCK lol

Well if they want my truck to get at least 35MPG then they are payin to have it converted.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:05 AM
:sigh: Come on guys, actually try to read more than just the headlines. If you did you'd have realized that it is an increase in the average MPG from 25 to 35.

Directly from the first article I clicked on when googling "35 MPG increase"

The centerpiece of the bill remained the requirement for automakers to increase their industrywide vehicle fuel efficiency by 40 percent to an industry average of 35 mpg by 2020 compared to today's 25 mpg when including passenger cars as well as SUVs and small trucks.
Edited to add: The 25 MPG average was set back in 1975

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 12-19-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Most of you have heard by now that Bush is signing some bill to make it mandatory that EVERY vehicle must get at a minimum 35 mpg by 2020. I dunno what Ford, Chevy, GMC, or Dodge plans to do, but they better think fast! Ford's tiny diesels sounds good, but I dont want a diesel engine and I don't want E85 either....

Dosen't sound good for the future of pick-ups...

Dude, read the flippin' details before you say something this stupid and put your foot in your mouth.

Congress wrote the bill, Bush is just signing it.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:18 AM
It has been a long time coming IMO, milage hasn't really improved much in the last 10-15 years.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe it will force the Car manufacturors to get off gas, I would love to stick it to the Arabs and Venezulia scum that soak us dry. Heck they own everything now because of our high oil useage. We should have taken them over and converted to something different. just my 2 cents worth.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Bush didn't kill anything. 2020 is just over 12 years from now. I dont give a **** about the gov now and most likely will give less then. I will be more worried about my son driving around on his own at that time and could care less about what the gov is doing to mandate mpg. They should have been mandating it all along and forcing the oil companies to stop getting so damn rich by hiking barrel prices all the time. Gas shortage is NOT the problem. Greedy a$$holes in the wrong positions IS the problem. money money money money, we earn it, they want it.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Well yeah, dirty rotten politics as my grandfather has said for years now. Even when he is a past oil man!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Jesus, did all you completely miss my post????

Our trucks could continue to get crappy mileage and it won't matter so long as hybrids and other new MPG friendly cars can offset our low mileage so the INDUSTRY AVERAGE MPG IS 35!!!

God damn, can nobody read?

In case you still can't grasp the concept, I'll give an example.

Say Ford only makes 3 vehciles, a truck, a sedan a hybrid car. In 2020, I'd assume some basic improvement in gas mileage vs. what we have now. So, the truck gets 18 MPG, the sedan gets 33 and the hybrid gets 55. That's an average of 35 MPG right there.

- NCSU

Old 12-19-2007, 12:13 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
All the doomsayers were saying the same thing when the original CAFE standards went into effect. The automakers found ways to comply minimizing impact on the consumers then, and will do the same this time. Performance went down some for a while, but it steadily got better with use of more modern technology. Emissions standards were just as big a factor, if not bigger, as CAFE then anyway.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Jesus, did all you completely miss my post????

Our trucks could continue to get crappy mileage and it won't matter so long as hybrids and other new MPG friendly cars can offset our low mileage so the INDUSTRY AVERAGE MPG IS 35!!!

God damn, can nobody read?

In case you still can't grasp the concept, I'll give an example.

Say Ford only makes 3 vehciles, a truck, a sedan a hybrid car. In 2020, I'd assume some basic improvement in gas mileage vs. what we have now. So, the truck gets 18 MPG, the sedan gets 33 and the hybrid gets 55. That's an average of 35 MPG right there.

- NCSU
I think you're being ignored. I read that same article though. Gonna be a lot more Escape Hybrids on the road in the future.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm still relatively new to F150 ownership, and there's a lot to learn. I like forums here...and fuel mileage seems to be a big part of the threads which constantly appear and reappear on this site...And for good reason...It's never good enough!

Sadly, the same automotive manufacturers churning out vehicles here in North America are already years ahead in Europe. They have not been too quick to introduce their fuel efficient/lower emission models/vehicles to the North American marketplace and, sadly, it will be legislation that will accelerate the awareness to the public and thus create the demand from the manufacturers.

After all, if there was an incentive to use less steel, less parts, less rubber and less fuel, just who would offer that incentive? Not the steel companies, not the rubber manufacturers, not the big V8 and V10 engine builders, and certainly not the fuel companies (as much as they all like to "talk the talk", they don't really want to walk the talk). SO...you have a political issue with this. Many jobs are at stake. Distribution systems are at stake. Technology is at stake. So in comes the legislation, because nobody will really do it otherwise (sadly). And I dare say...the conviction to change our own "comfortable" and "familiar" ways of living with large vehicles has a lot to do with it. Hey, I love the big vehicles as much as anyone else. Not that technological advances haven't been made on the many fronts, but it will take legislation to get some of the better technology that is already in existance because of our capitalistic ways and means.

Please safely centre yourself on the bright side. This new way of thinking will be a huge technological opportunity for North America. Let us be the leaders in fuel efficency, alternate fuels and non-carbon fuels and low emmision vehicles. It's a new erea for us all. I doubt the pick up truck market will evaporate overnight (that is to say we'll all have a soft landing) but it will change. Through technology we'll find better ways to haul and tow. Trucks will be around for ever. SO...enough "woe is me" or "woe to the truckers of this world". Let's embrace the change or get left behind!

And yes, by my signature you can see I've got some cleaning up of my own to do. It's getting silly to own so many vehicles. We've all got to change our ways of thinking.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 F-150 Lightning Edition

mods:
aftermarket rollbar
custom color keyed bumpers
ice cream bell

Last edited by Raoul; 12-19-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I'm telling you all. Diesel technology is the key.

If you want an example:
Jeep Compass Diesel (UK): 42 mpg with a 2.0l Turbo Diesel Engine.
Jeep Compass Gas (US): 30 mpg with a 2.4l Gasoline Engine.

With the exact same options; 5 speed stick, front wheel drive.

It's funny that a majority of the vehicles abroad are diesel, and they are getting an average of 35 mpg already. The US is stupid with gas engines. Rudolf Diesel had a great invention that America flat out ignored. I feel bad for him.

Also to add, there isn't any reason why you can't run a diesel engine on fryer oil... so that means there is NO reason to make FFV vehicles, and the conversion costs a lot less than a gas E85 engine. America steals your money.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Raoul
2020 F-150 Lightning Edition

mods:
aftermarket rollbar
custom color keyed bumpers
ice cream bell

...with an energy-efficient street lamp mounted to the roof instead of regular headlights!

Quick Reply: Bush Killed The One-Fifties!!!