fuel system cleaners...is it all just snake oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel system cleaners...is it all just snake oil?

or are they worthwhile in the least? If so, any particular brand I could look at?

cheers,
P

Old 12-06-2007, 09:12 PM
i use the one i have at work from pennzoil and it saves me a 1/4 tank of gas on my weekly 3 hour drive. so it definetly paid for itself

Old 12-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I have used the Lucs "fuel and engine treatment" ..... its comes in a one time use bottle or some stores carry the larger container for multi use..... the stuffs looks like motor oil. And is just as thick.! ... did not see and difference with gas milage.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:48 PM
penzoil?

which penzoil product are you referring to?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm not positive that I've ever noticed a really significant gain in gas mileage from any one fuel additive. But, I am sure of one thing: I'm particular about what i'd put in my fuel system. If you go to a discount auto store and look at all the different bottles of additives, pick them up and invert the bottle- Notice what you hear and feel: kinda feels like pure gasoline in a fancy bottle with a shiny label, cant see it can you? Put all those bottles back on the shelf.
Now, look for the Lucas oil treatment. In the clear bottle. Pick it up and invert the container. See a major difference in viscosity, its just like an oil. But imagine this oil diluted by the gasoline in your tank; it will lose quite a bit of it's thickness. Enough to remain effective, but not too thick as to be harmful. But what about those products that started off as a watery liquid to begin with? Does any dilution occur? yes, but what's there to dilute? A whole lotta nothing!
In my opinion, from using Lucas for several years, I feel that this product is the most beneficial and does the best job at protecting and cleaning the components in my fuel system. But you don't have to take my word for it! www.lucasoil.com

(also, all of those watered down additives usually contain a substance called MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether) a main component of pump gas!

Last edited by F15D; 12-06-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Logjocky
i use the one i have at work from pennzoil and it saves me a 1/4 tank of gas on my weekly 3 hour drive. so it definetly paid for itself
Originally Posted by dalman
which penzoil product are you referring to?

I think he's, either, referring to the The Outlaw Fuel Injector Cleaner [HERE] or THIS one.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by F15D

In my opinion, from using Lucas for several years, I feel that this product is the most beneficial and does the best job at protecting and cleaning the components in my fuel system. But you don't have to take my word for it! www.lucasoil.com

(also, all of those watered down additives usually contain a substance called MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether) a main component of pump gas!

California has banned the use of MTBE as an additive. Our gas now gets a minimum of 5.7% ethanol.

I use the Lucas on all of my vehicles. It could be snake oil. But so far, it hasn't hurt anything.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:18 PM
BG product, Bg 44K performance enhancer.
I do not believe in snake oils, but BG, Seafoam and Lucas products actually work. Pro-blend used to be a good product but I think those are bootlegged now days.

BG 44K, In every vehicle I have been able to tell a difference within the first 10 miles.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Roodoo2; 12-07-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:03 PM
I use Techron fuel system cleaner after every oil change.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:20 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Read this before you spend any money on cleaners.

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques076_4.html

JMC

Old 12-08-2007, 12:33 AM
I use lucas about every other month I think it helps does not seem to hurt it I got 275000 out of my 79 model 460 that was a good truck it got lucas finally my foot killed it and almosy myself

Quick Reply: fuel system cleaners...is it all just snake oil?