replace my fuel injectors???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replace my fuel injectors???

I have a 99/F150/XLT/4wd/5.4...its time to replace the spark plugs and while I'm down that road I was thinking of replacing the fuel injectors. i'm not looking for HUGE HP gains or get worse MPGal just a strong running truck again. I dont wanna burn a hole in my pocket either (the truck is getting up there in mileage and age) but I'd be willing to spend a couple extra bucks for something worth wild. Any suggestions? brand? type? average cost?

oh and if you dont mind throw in spark plug suggestions!?

thanks for your help!

Old 03-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi...Fuel injectors are very expensive to replace. They can be cleaned on the truck (although not very well) Or some shops have an ultrasonic cleaner that does an incredible job, making them as good, or better than new, and generally only costs about $75 for the service, but the injectors have to be removed from the truck. Remember, there are four parts to an injector, only three of which can be serviced. FIlter screens can be changed, Pintle Valves can be cleaned, Pintle Heads can be cleaned, but a worn Valve seat is a worn valve seat, and if this happens, be ready to pay about 200 for a new injector. As for spark plugs, Autolite 23's are my preference.

-Jim

Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Jim has it right. The best you can do, is soak them in some injector cleaner overnight, and replace/clean the filters. You better take the seals off, or the injector cleaner might ruin them. Or you could just buy new seals. But I've never seen a reason to fool with them, unless you're getting a missfire code that is unrelated to coils/plugs. They're REALLY simple by design. They're an electromagnet powered needle valve. Not much to break. And they don't wear out quickly. Bear in mind that I'm no expert on injectors, but I don't really see a point in changing them, unless you have a problem.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MIDNIGHT F150
I have a 99/F150/XLT/4wd/5.4...its time to replace the spark plugs and while I'm down that road I was thinking of replacing the fuel injectors. i'm not looking for HUGE HP gains or get worse MPGal just a strong running truck again. I dont wanna burn a hole in my pocket either (the truck is getting up there in mileage and age) but I'd be willing to spend a couple extra bucks for something worth wild. Any suggestions? brand? type? average cost?

oh and if you dont mind throw in spark plug suggestions!?

thanks for your help!

Definitely MOTORCRAFT on the plugs is what I suggest.

I changed the plugs, new COP's and updated my injectors to the type three 19's.. I was at about 165,000 miles when I did it , I noticed a big difference in performance , everywhere.

I found a set of COPS for 60 bucks on ebay (NEW) - Same goes for the injectors - I think they were $65..

Watch that ebay site and eventually it should pay off for yuh

Good Luck

Last edited by jbrew; 03-14-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:36 PM
If you think that it's making a big difference in how your engine runs, just go get a fuel system cleaning at a shop somewhere. It's pretty slick, they hook up a machine directly to your fuel rail and run cleaner directly into the fuel system. Alot of people who have it done say it makes their engine run significantly better. Do a google search for "fuel injection cleaning" and you'll get alot of info from reputable websites.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by KDOTengineer
If you think that it's making a big difference in how your engine runs, just go get a fuel system cleaning at a shop somewhere. It's pretty slick, they hook up a machine directly to your fuel rail and run cleaner directly into the fuel system. Alot of people who have it done say it makes their engine run significantly better. Do a google search for "fuel injection cleaning" and you'll get alot of info from reputable websites.
Injectors are so simple. They're a powered needle valve. If it's working, it's working. That's it. Leave it alone. Besides, your owner's manual says to NEVER run injector cleaners.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:37 PM
injectors either work or they dont.. the only benifet u would see is upgrading to a new more efficient design.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I disagree about work or don't work. They can work poorly and cleaning with the type of cleaner that hooks to the fuel rail has worked quite well for me. I have mine done at about every 60K as long as I have the vehicle that long. And every time I have had it done there has been quite a difference.
A partly clogged injector will not spray correctly and give you the maximum performance.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
A partly clogged injector will not spray correctly and give you the maximum performance.
The fuel gets filtered THREE times in your truck before it gets to the injectors... There's no telling how many times it gets filtered before that. What could possibly stop it up? It has a fairly large opening.....

Old 03-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
The fuel gets filtered THREE times in your truck before it gets to the injectors... There's no telling how many times it gets filtered before that. What could possibly stop it up? It has a fairly large opening.....
How does a carb get gummed up? You can get varnish on just about anything from fuel.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
How does a carb get gummed up?
The fuel evaporates in the bowl and jets. If you drive it a lot, it won't get gummed up.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:55 PM
It will always varnish a little, and the other problem is carbon.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi! Injectors get varnished after time, no matter how long you do or dont drive it for. Thats the whole point of cleaners - what did you think they were cleaning?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by 1994f150XLT
Thats the whole point of cleaners - what did you think they were cleaning?
Your wallet.

Go ahead and do what you want. It probably won't break the truck even though the owner's manual says don't do it.

Just presenting my point of view. Which I did, so I'll stop here.

Just for kicks.... The next time you change your fuel filter, cut it open, and see how much sludge/varnish etc. is in it...

Old 03-14-2007, 08:03 PM
I agree that in tank cleaners are a waste of money, but fuel rail connect cleaners do a halfway decent job, While off the truck Ultrasonic cleaning is the best way to go. Makes them better than new. We removed 8 injectors from a 2006 5.4, And put them on the spray box. 4/8 Were spraying incorrectly, on a FACTORY motor with 4,000 Kilometres. They were jetting. We replaced the screens, ultrason cleaned them, and they sprayed like they SHOULD. We repeated this process on a 2003 4.6, And found that 3/8 Were spraying terribly with under 1000 Km on this motor. Again, ultrasonic cleaning, Better than brand new.

Quick Reply: replace my fuel injectors???