bad oil leak behind oil filter adaptor help??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad oil leak behind oil filter adaptor help??????

i have just bought a 2000 f150 4.6 v8 and it leaks oil really bad right behind oil filter adaptor (i think..) this is the part that bolts to the engine and the oil filter screws onto it. my question is does anyone else have this problem??? when the front of the truck is parked on a hill lower it really leaks out bad. i was hoping it is just the gasket for that but before i go to just replace that anyone have a problem like this please let me know. i cleaned that area and that seems to be right where it is coming from but would like some opions if anyone knows. thank you

Old 03-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a gasket behind it that's a common failure item. You'll make a huge mess changing it, since coolant flows through the adapter, but it ain't too bad a job.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Smile

I am in the process of replacing my engine, so I kinda know what you are looking at. Mine never leaked in that area. The gasket for the oil filter housing is nowhere near the oil filter, but instead is at the front of the engine, right below where the lower radiator hose connects. This is where the gasket is located. The oil filter housing is an aluminum piece that also channels the engine coolant into the block. So, you need to look carefully at where the leak is. If it is not coming from the front of this housing, then I would suggest you go ahead and replace the oil filter and see if that fixes your problem. It is possible it is causing the leak. If you replace the oil filter and it still leaks, then it is possible it could be the valve cover leaking and making it look like it is coming from where you specified.

If you still cannot locate the source of the leak, then clean the affected area thoroughly, then go to NAPA and ask for an oil dye tracer. You add it to your oil, get a black light and shine it in the area you are experiencing the leak. This will usually help you identify the source of the leak. This is usually good for leaks that are hard to detect. Since yours seems to be leaking quite a bit, you shouldn't have to go this route. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2006, 10:46 PM
i did change the oil filter no help. i did clean the engine there and i am 90% sure that is it. the one guy i talked to said they do fail and more common on the v6 and yes the collant does come in part of the gasket to. i am hoping it is not that tuff to do. i just dont like working under cars no more, to fat and getting old lol. one shop quoted me 1 hour labor so that dont seem that bad. i think this weekend i will try to get it done.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:04 PM
IF that is all they are going to charge you, then go for it. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
There's a gasket behind it that's a common failure item. You'll make a huge mess changing it, since coolant flows through the adapter, but it ain't too bad a job.
Yo Quintin: On my 04 5.4 I noticed it looks like the bottom radiator hose goes behind the oil filter mount is that an engine oil cooler also???Thanx I do have the tow pac.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:14 PM
so you think i should just let a shop do it then?? they charge 75 a hour? if it is a big deal i will but dont look that bad. anyone know for sure?? thanks

Old 03-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blackf-150
Yo Quintin: On my 04 5.4 I noticed it looks like the bottom radiator hose goes behind the oil filter mount is that an engine oil cooler also???Thanx I do have the tow pac.
Yup.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:45 PM
well i am gonna let a garage put the gasket on. should be less than 100.00 not that bad

Quick Reply: bad oil leak behind oil filter adaptor help??????