Which is better? K&N in my stock intake or replace w/ entire new K&N intake system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is better? K&N in my stock intake or replace w/ entire new K&N intake system?

I'm currently running the stock intake on my 1998 F150 4.6L with 203k miles on it. I use it for daily commuting and don't have the pedal to the floor much, I on occasion will tow a small landscaping trailer but normally don't. I've read a lot of the old posts in this forum, many seem to suggest replacing the stock intake with either an Airforce, Airaid, or K+N. I noticed in Walmart the other day they sell K+N filters that I can just drop into my stock intake. My old filter needs to go anyway, my only debate is whether I should just swap the filter to K+N or if I should swap out the whole intake system with the K+N FIPK tube etc.. Which is better? My main goal is fuel economy and I heard these help a little bit (I understand there are other mods that can help more though, but I'm on a budget). Is swapping the filter the same as swapping the whole intake tube system? Any opinions?

Thanks- Matt

Old 01-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
swapping out only the filter will not change the mpg noticably, the only good thing about swapping the filter i you will never have to buy another filter again, changing to the whole intake assemble is like $200 and will get you some more HP but will not change the MPG by more than .5 if even that much, it is pretty much up to you but it would take awile for the whole assembly to pay for itself in the fuel saving, good luck

Old 01-11-2006, 09:27 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
In theory the less restrictive K&N filter will allow more air to flow to the engine. This extra air allows you to add more fuel. Adding more fuel will increase the power. Because you make more power at any given throttle setting you should be able to reduce the throttle setting to make the same power before the mod. This reduced throttle setting might save you some gas. Now if you beleive that and if you beleive that the FIPK is better than just the filter then you should get the FIPK. The only problem is that there is no way of knowing what, if any, the feul savings are.

Regards

JMC

Old 01-11-2006, 11:53 AM
It is according to how much you want to spend and what performance you are looking for. At Wal-Mart the filter itself is in the $40 dollar range I assume. You can get the whole intake itself for less than $300 on ebay.

Now the second thing is, with 200k miles on your engine, you probably wont improve gas mileage and power very significantly.

3rd thing. If you are going for looks, then I would suggest the Air Force 1 system. It has the stainless steel versus the plastic tube that the K&N has. I have the K&N and I am happy with it and the performance gains are similar with the AF1. But if you want better looking intake get the AF1.

Last edited by tbizzle; 01-11-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tbizzle
It is according to how much you want to spend and what performance you are looking for. At Wal-Mart the filter itself is in the $40 dollar range I assume. You can get the whole intake itself for less than $300 on ebay.

Now the second thing is, with 200k miles on your engine, you probably wont improve gas mileage and power very significantly.

3rd thing. If you are going for looks, then I would suggest the Air Force 1 system. It has the aircraft grade aluminum versus the plastic tube that the K&N has. I have the K&N and I am happy with it and the performance gains are similar with the AF1. But if you want better looking intake get the AF1.
Correction : That would be T304 Stainless for the AF1, NOT aluminum.

Aluminum is just about the worst material for an intake, in terms of heat transfer to the intake charge. IAT temps actually drop a few degrees over stock whn using the AF1 under normal conditions, even lower than the plastics used in some other intakes. This was dug up using Search.

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...atalogno=16408

Cheers
Grog

Old 01-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Just drop in a new paper filter and use the money you saved for some new fishing gear.

You'll enjoy the benefits way more.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Old 01-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by jward
Just drop in a new paper filter and use the money you saved for some new fishing gear.

You'll enjoy the benefits way more.

I'll take your advice. I need some more ice fishing equipment anyway, so that cash will come in handy. Paper it is.

Matt

Old 01-11-2006, 07:50 PM
if your gonna buy a drop in spend he extra money on a K&N. they are reusable so it will pay for itself vs. having to keep buying new paper ones. it will be the last filter you will have to buy.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Location: Spokane WA (that's Spo-Can dumbass) and NO I'm not close to Seattle.
I've always liked the K-N except for the whole "pay $10-$15 for a recharge kit, wash, wait for it to dry, re-oil" they may be a lifetime filter but the cost/time is a hassle.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by MikefromMT
I've always liked the K-N except for the whole "pay $10-$15 for a recharge kit, wash, wait for it to dry, re-oil" they may be a lifetime filter but the cost/time is a hassle.
Good point. I think I'll just stick with paper. Maybe I can find a better low-budget mod that will improve my mpg? If not, I'll just buy some fishing tackle.

Thanks again,
Matt

Old 01-14-2006, 04:52 AM
Try this airbox mod

I have a k&N ($48) and modified the airbox using this tech. article. I love it
https://www.f150online.com/tech/airbox.html

Old 01-15-2006, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by My974x4F150
I have a k&N ($48) and modified the airbox using this tech. article. I love it
https://www.f150online.com/tech/airbox.html
would it work to just cut that part of the airbox off to attach the filter to the intake tube? I just bought my F-150 today, and am looking to mod the airbox, and drop in a k&n. My question is won't this just suck in hot air, or does it get significant cool air from foreward movement? I might have to get my dremel tool out tomorrow and start cutting.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:29 PM
All K&N cold-air intakes suck air from the engine compartment, which is hot. Dont waste money on them and go get a Volant system instead! A regular K&N filter is better with the stock intake because it takes in cold air from the hole in the drivers side fender well.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Real K&N FIPK intakes have a divider that separates the filter from the rest of the engine bay this making the filter suck cooler air only.

Quick Reply: Which is better? K&N in my stock intake or replace w/ entire new K&N intake system?