Oil Leak in 2003 Supercrew 5.4 L V8

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak in 2003 Supercrew 5.4 L V8

Two parts to my post - first is my complaint with Ford service
I had my front end aligned last week and the mechanic told me that I had a pretty significant oil leak on the passenger side of the engine. I have just under 32,000 miles on it.
I called a local Ford dealer as the one where I bought it is about 60 miles away. I told the service manager that I hadn't bought it there, but have had them do a few oil changes for me. Service guy told me to bring it in Monday and they would try to fix it. I called late afternoon and the service manager told me that he didn't have an engine mechanic, had been advertising for one and that I should take it back where I bought it or another dealer.
I called another dealer in another close by town - told them the story and they told me to bring it in Friday - end of the day they told me that they had been too busy - I could pick it up for weekend and try again next week if I wanted to.
So now I'm going to bring it where I bought it on Monday 120 miles round trip to drop it off, but i guess that's what I get for buying where the price was best, by several thousand $$. Is it worth complaining to Ford and who would I call?
Anyway 2nd part - oil seems to be coming from the block - I don't see any up high but its on front of block below lowest pulley, on alternator, oil pan and everthing else that hangs down as well as the suspension. Is this common with the 5.4 L V8?

Old 05-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Take it to a local mechanic and ask him to run a dye test on it.You will prob be alot futher in the long run....Rob

Old 05-21-2005, 09:53 PM
The head gasket leak on the passenger side was a common problem on the earlier trucks but a 2003 should have all the updated parts and not have this problem. Take it in to get checked out and get a free loaner. I didn't know what to say about the dealers giving you the run around but to take your business elsewhere. Do you want them fixing your truck if they don't want to.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Well I definately won't be going back to either of those dealerships.As a matter of fact, I'll be considering GM next time as there are more dealerships closer by.
I'm dropping my truck off today (Sunday) - they arn't open so I won't be getting a loaner out of them. I live in Massachusetts and I'm going to have to bring it 60 miles to a dealership in Portsmouth NH what a PITA
How does the dye test work - do they put it in and let it run while its parked, so it doesn't blow around as much?

Old 05-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Which dealerships jerked you around? I live in Massachusetts too and would like to know which places to avoid.

Old 05-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Ipswich Ford really p'd me off - made an appointment for the oil leak 2 weeks in advance (told them that I hadn't bought it from them).I've had them do oil changes several times. When I called to ask how it was coming - they told me that they didn't have a mechanic that could work on engines and that I should take it back where I bought it.
Thomas Ford in Beverly told me to bring it in a few days later (I told them I hadn't bought it there) when I called in the afternoon, they told me that they were too busy to work on it and that I could pick it up if I wanted it for the weekend and make an appointment for another time.
Just got back from dropping it off at Portsmouth Ford - hoping I have better luck this time. Just a pain to have to drive 60 miles each way - me with my truck and my wife with her explorer.
I already had the same type of problem with Danver's Ford with my last truck - kept it for over a week without touching it - so I won't bother with them again either.
A friend of mine who used to work at a dealership tells me that they don't mind changing parts - they get a percentage - but they don't like troubleshooting and labor intensive jobs - don't make much $ on them.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:47 AM
I'll make a point to keep clear of those places. I'm out in Westford so they are far enough away that I probably won't deal with them anyway, but you never know.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Just wanted to give an update - Portsmouth Ford did a dye test and found that it was leaking from the head gasket (passenger side). Service manager says he thinks it will be done today - estimated that it was about a 10 hour job. I'm glad it's still under warranty!

Old 05-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Got my truck back last night. Boy am I glad I got it in before my warranty expired (32,000 on it). Bill would have been almost $1100. I don't like the idea of having had my engine removed from the truck, hopefully it won't lead to future problems.
I'll have to say that Portsmouth Ford in NH was very resposive and courteous - wish I had gone there first instead of wasting time with the local Ford dealerships. If I ever buy another Ford, it won't be from the local dealers.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Up here in Canada I have never seen a differrence at dealers based on whether you bought it there or not. I have gotten pretty good service at most ford dealers but there always seem to be crummy service writers around just when you don't need them.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would not even tell the dealership where I bought the truck. That does not even matter. I have found that when they give you a car to drive while they are fixing your truck they tend to get the truck back to you quickly. Since it is under warranty you should push for a loner car next time.......it seems to get the lead out of their a$$. Now what is up with the alignment? I have only had an alignment on one truck that I have had and it really didnt change anything. Just got it cause the truck had never had one and the tech said he had to put a camber kit in it to align it. Unless you jack up the front end major then it isn't need. I stay on the road and don't mud or anything.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:36 PM
I had pretty bad cupping on the driver's side front tire, so I went to a guy I know who does nothing but front end alignments. It was out of alignment but he said that there was nothing else wrong with the front end. He saw the oil leaking. I hadn't even noticed it
I don't go off road either, but I do remeber pulling into a rest area one time and hitting the curb pretty good (I'd been driving about 16 hours on my way back from Florida - a little groggy).
Now I can get back to trying to decide between the Michelin LTX M/S and the Bridgestone Dueller AT REVOs.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:39 PM
I hope you have better luck with your head than i did with mine. At 34k mile i had a head gasket replaced under warranty but 18 months later i found it was leaking again. It was out of warranty and only had a 1 year guarantee for the repair.
I suggest before your 1 year guarantee is up make sure you have no problems or leaks. I still have a leak and will probable always will.

Old 05-26-2005, 06:27 AM
Sorry to hear that - its what I'm afraid of!!
Since 1990, I've owned nothing but F150s (4 all bought new) - this will be my last one. Unfortunately, I have 3 years left to pay on it. I just hope it goes that long without any major problems.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak in 2003 Supercrew 5.4 L V8