Am I and idiot or WHAT?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 07:52 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Am I and idiot or WHAT?!

Okay, here's the deal. I have a black 98 f-150 xlt ext cab 4x4 offroad to which I have added several aftermarket products (20" chrome mb motoring wheels, westin sportsman chrome plated stainless grille guard, awesome stereo....too many others to mention). I've even nicknamed it "Floyd" (Don't ask). So, needless to say...I love my truck!

However, I also LOVE the new body style F-150s. So I went to a local dealer a couple of weeks ago and find an AWESOME 2004 FX4 (loaded with EVERYTHING except the sunroof) on the used lot...also, it was the "true blue" color which is rare for the FX4s (I had not seen one before or since). It had never been titled as the used lot "purchased" it from the new lot (it had just under 300 miles on it). After MUCH haggling, I got the price from the asking $31000 down to $26500 (I showed them several comparable trucks going for that price on ebay). So I did the deal because they got my payments at about $450/month PLUS they extended the warranty to 6yrs/72K miles. Man, was this truck sweet! It rode as good as any Caddy I've ever been in, and had way more power than any truck I had ever drived before. It was perfect.....

.....But something happened to me when I pulled the new truck into the garage. Out of the blue, I started missing my old 98 so badly that I started (don't laugh) CRYING....a 30 year old, 6 foot 4 inch, 275 lb man....CRYING over a truck. When I got in the house, my wife asked, "what's wrong?" I whimpered, "Floyd is gone." She didn't understand...of course, most women don't understand the sacred bond between a man and his truck. Well, I was so depressed that my old baby was gone that I took the new truck back the next day, and got my old baby, Floyd, back. Now I'm sick because I let such a sweet deal just slip away. When I see a new FX4 I just drool and wonder what could have been. Today I saw a black one that had 20" chrome wheels and a chrome grille guard and thought, "I could have had my new truck looking that good."

What should I do here guys? You all are truck lovers, and I'm sure you can identify with how attached a man can get to his truck. At the same time, I'm sure you've felt the intoxicating "new truck smell" lure you in.

Sorry for the long post....have any of you had any experiences like this? If so, what did you do?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Old 11-06-2004, 08:08 PM
well my first truck was actually a ford ranchero 1977,302 that i did over, tranny kit, headers and true duals,60 series tires all around etc...was a great great truck,,,but was no match for a fire hydrant that i hit in pouring rain..an yes i did cry,,just couldnt tell through the rain..

Old 11-06-2004, 08:16 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

At least someone out there feels my pain....I was begging to think my wife was right for calling me a moron for crying over a truck!

Old 11-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Moved to NY from FL 2yrs ago 98 f150 2wd coulnt hack the winters here so away she went. Very hard choice because the truck was my baby but the chances of it getting destroyed by the wonderful driving public here in the winter helped my decision. Practical choice.
Got a new one 01 f150 love it and wont get rid of it until ??
I'd keep "Floyd" (reference to PINK ?) seems a though you have alot of time money and memories invested. Besides you can put that extra 450 into whatever else you want.Just my .02

Last edited by hammer71; 11-06-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:37 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

hammer 71

thanx hammer! I think I'll keep 'til he's paid for and then buy a new one too!

Old 11-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Get the best of both worlds

Old 11-07-2004, 01:32 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Jason,

You may have overreacted just a little bit...... Seek professional help immediately!!! LOL

JMC

Old 11-07-2004, 05:20 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

JMC

LOL!!!! JMC, I think you're right! Ya know, my shrink said I was schizophrenic....but I think we're okay now.

Quick Reply: Am I and idiot or WHAT?!