Coolant Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Hoses

It is getting to be time to replace all the rubber coolant hoses on my '97 F150 5.4 4x4. How many hoses does this entail?
I know there is an Upper and Lower Radiator hose, as well as 2 heater hoses. Are there any bypass hoses located on the engine that should be replaced as well? My goal is to replace all rubber hoses on the cooling system before one leaves me on the side of the road...
Thanx for your help...

Old 11-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good question! I've been wondering that myself..... I've got a '97 with 131k miles on it and it has all the stock hoses..... Ok, the top hose is a no brainer.... Pretty easy (although, have not changed it yet!!).... Even the lower hose is right there, although, mine has those additional oil cooler hoses going to the filter adapter for the oil cooling feature..... Do you replace those too??

The heater hoses look a bit more complex..... Where they attach to the firewall, it looks like they are "pressed" onto the heater core lines....

So far my solution has been carrying a roll of duct tape and two gallons of water!! Luckly, I have not had to use them myself, but I have given my water to someone else a couple of times!!

However, my wifes 1990 Plymouth Acclaim is running the same hoses from about 10 years ago........

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 11-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Yep I agree the top hose is a no brainer... I believe to remove the heater hoses you must squeeze the clips on the end, push in then pull off. The lower hose looks rather interesting with the extra two lines going to the coolers.

But what I really was wondering is if there are any other less obvious hoses that need to be replaced, those are the ones that usually get you. Most vehicles I have worked on have 2 of these, I think they are usually refered to as bypass hoses. I'm really surprised no one here seems to know...

Old 11-02-2004, 09:08 AM
I am sorry but I don't have a direct answer for you. However, you can go to an autoparts store or a stealership and they will have the list of hoses you will need for your year/engine/options.

If I were you I would look under the hood and make note of any rubber hose you see before you go to the store. Make sure you replace them all at the same time.

It is also a good time to replace as many vac hoses as you can as well as the flexible rubber brake hoses.

Old 11-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be wrong but I think one of the heater hoses runs under the intake manifold.

Not a simple replacement.

Can anyone confirm this

Old 11-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by T Ellenberger
I may be wrong but I think one of the heater hoses runs under the intake manifold.
I remember reading in another thread that that was the case on a 5.4L .

But I don't know about the 4.6.

Cross our fingers and hope not.

Doug

Old 11-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Yes,
There is a hose under the intake manifold on the 4.6 and 5.4 engines. Not any easy one to replace.

Old 11-03-2004, 03:43 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There is a pipe running under the intake manifold. It starts at the back of the water pump and runs the length of the valley and up and out at the back of the motor. Don't bother changing this unless it leaks. There are 2 heater hoses that use snap on connectors at the heatercore.
The snaps must be compressed and the hose pulled off. There will be the mandatory upper and lower rad hoses. And if you have the oil cooler 2 lines from the rad going to the cooler. A word of advise is to discard the factory squeeze clamps and replace them with the screw type.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would replace the thermostat at the same time as well.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:38 PM
also flush the system.
replace the radiator cap

Quick Reply: Coolant Hoses