If not K&N - what paper filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If not K&N - what paper filter ?

I had been reading about the K & N filters and was about to switch to one, when I started reading not so favorable reports too. What brand of paper replaceable filter do you guys reccomend? I have read a little about Baldwin filters but not enough to help me decide. Are there any paper filters out there that will also help performance?

Old 06-12-2003, 04:45 PM
I'm not to sure on the question. I use a Fram filter in mine. I'm sure a WIX filter would be good as well. I would honestly look elsewhere for performance. Your not going to get "much" out of this in your truck. I know some people swear they feel a huge difference with just replacing a drop in filter. But they are smoking crack and have left reality. Guess it just takes all kinds to make a world.

-Brian

Old 06-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Hurry, take a hit and pass!

Old 06-12-2003, 05:06 PM
I am no expert on just what “air intake” system to use but can tell you from experience in racing and talking with people in race shops that a properly tuned motor will increase horsepower.

When I say properly tuned motor that also includes the “air intake” the easier the motor can breathe (more air in) the more efficient it will operate. When the motor operates more efficient that translates into “more” house power. How much more horse power will be gained with a good air intake? I really can’t say, but on a V6 you could get somewhere around 5 – 10hp gain just by that. Is it a seat of the pants gain? Hard to say, most likely not, but it is “one” of many systems to gain horse power at. You start adding proper exhaust, a Superchip etc and it all begins to add up.

The easiest way I can think to explain how the “air intake” helps the motor is to use an example of someone running. Take a run and run a few blocks and put a towel over you mouth. You will find it harder to breath and thus you will be less efficient at running. If you breathe without a towel over your mouth you are bringing more air or oxygen into your body and thus more efficient. Same with an air intake into a motor, the less air the less efficient the combustion, less combustion mean less horsepower…

Old 06-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Good Post,

But keep in mind you can open the intake up all you wan't but unless you start port and polishing your heads and other mods your just wasting your time. Since you are only talking about dropping in a K&N filter and nothing else it's your call. But I can tell you that a K&N drop in filter on an 89lx 5.0 was only worth a 1hp gain on a dyno.

01XLTSport makes some good points on the intake if you choose to add some additional modifications.

-Brian

Old 06-12-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by 02XLT
Good Post,

But keep in mind you can open the intake up all you wan't but unless you start port and polishing your heads and other mods your just wasting your time. Since you are only talking about dropping in a K&N filter and nothing else it's your call. But I can tell you that a K&N drop in filter on an 89lx 5.0 was only worth a 1hp gain on a dyno.

01XLTSport makes some good points on the intake if you choose to add some additional modifications.

-Brian
That makes sence, my 5-10hp remark may be way off. I know you can gain some, but not sure how much...

Old 06-12-2003, 08:40 PM
I'm sure 5-10 is possible on some applications. I wanna say on the GM LS1 engines they claim those kind of gains.

-Brian

Old 06-12-2003, 08:45 PM
well i think we should also point out, higher flowing filters are only going to benefit you in a situation where you need a higher flow of air.

Lets say hypothetically, you can get a 10 hp gain on a dyno with a K&N. Where is this hp gain gonna be? At say 3000k rpm is your stock system restricting you? I would say its doubtful. At 5500k rpm is it? Yeah maybe. You could very well feel more throttle responce, but i dont think your gonna be able to "feel" more hp except at the very end of your rpm range, where the cotton filter makes up for the paper filters weakness. And at that point in the rpm range i doubt you could feel even 10 hp. JMO.

oh and i use the K&N cause its cheaper, i dont have to worry about replacing it all the time.

Quick Reply: If not K&N - what paper filter ?