Long Term Solution for Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Long Term Solution for Pinging

99' F-150 4.6.
Began pinging around 65,000 miles.
Pings and rattles under hard acceleration.
Pings LESS with very cold outside temps.

I have read every post and thread on this site pertaining to pinging. I have read about cleaners you put in your tank, pvc valve or brake booster line. I read about changing sensors, filters, and plugs, etc. I have read about cleaning MAFs and other parts and even unplugging connections to reduce timing.

Which if any of these techniques have proven to eliminate pinging or detonation in the long term Thanks.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... IRON HORSE : Since I got banned from the "OTHER" site because the TRUTH HURTS. I'll post it here. Now you have been complaining that your truck has been getting detonation for a long time now. Most likely (99%) you are running way too lean. So why not do things to richen up your A/F ratio? You can :

- relocate your IAT
- install a adjustable fuel regulator
- get your chip re-burned
- get to a local dyno shop and get some A/F #'s
- get a higher volume fuel pump

Last year I was running massively LEAN and sorted it all out. You can too.

Old 03-10-2003, 11:28 PM
YOU got banned

Yeah, after pinging for a while, I finally got a "Bank One System Too Lean" code.

My concern is that, I did not want to go for a dyno tune to only find out then, that there is something eles I should do before the dyno tune in order to eliminate the pinging. Remember, I DID install the supercharger myself! ha!

Old 03-11-2003, 12:34 AM
BANNED!!...Banned!!...we don't need no stinkin' BANNED-ages

I don't know what that "other" site was that banned you. But they made a mistake

There are many knowledgable people on this site and you are one of the most. Keep up the good work.

Thank You,

Bill

Old 03-11-2003, 12:49 AM
hey neal since your here i have a question about running lean. Ive never got a clear answer as to why lean is bad. Do you happen to have a good one? Is it mutiple reasons? i think the goal should be to have a perfect a/f to most effetively use your engine however everyone seems to aim rich. Is that just to avoid lean? How rich can you go? Sorry to pose this to you but seems like you really know whats what on engines and ive never got a definate answer yet.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:17 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Running too lean will creat excessive heat. Excessive heat can cause preignition or it can melt pistons etc. depending on the severity.

JMC

Old 03-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Thats what I have, is excessive heat. The only thing that stops the pinging 100% are outside temps of 30 degrees or colder!

.......so a chip program that has a whole lot of "spark" "pulled out" would not necessarily cure a lean condition?

........melting pistons! what the!

Old 03-11-2003, 10:58 AM
JMC

IH,

As Neal directed I would get a dyno run and check the A/F ratios. Once you know what they are you can work on a solution, if that is what is causing the problem. Your blower will increase combustion chamber pressure and that causes detonation. Did it do it before the blower? If it didn't then you know what the cause is. If it did then you only made it worse by adding the blower. Who chipped the blower. Where did you get the blower?

JMC

Last edited by JMC; 03-11-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:32 AM
JMC,

Purchased new and unused 4.6 Magna (Allen) Supercharger kit from private seller (he bought it at an auction).

Installed myself with stock 5 pound pulley. NO PINGING

Installed shift kit. Boost guage started reading 7 pounds of boost instead of 5 pounds of boost and the truck "pulled" very hard during WOT. VERY SLIGHT PINGING (maybe)

Installed bazooka 11 to 12 pound pulley. PINGS at 10 pounds and above as well as hesitates at higher speeds.

Installed FlipChip with a 93 octane program and a low octane (?) program. With 93 octane in tank, and flipped to the high octane program, it still pings/hesitates at 10-11 pounds of boost. With 93 octane and on the LOW octane program, it pings/hesitates at 11 pounds of boost but does not ping as bad. After month of use, I got a "Bank One System Too Lean" code.

Installed second chip. It had a single program that has "a lot more spark" removed from the chip program. With 93 octane it still pings at 11 pounds of boost but hesitates MORE. With 89 octane, the Bank One system Too Lean code" lit up and it pinginged and hesitated the most.

If outside temps are 70 degrees or more, it will ping even at 8 or 9 pounds of boost if at WOT.

It will not ping at all if outside temps are 30 degrees or colder.

Old 03-11-2003, 12:23 PM
JMC

IH,

It sounds like the intercooler is not effecient enough for the boost you are running. Richen up the A/F or find a better way to cool the charge. Retarding timing is not the answer. Take enough out and you will negate any gains from higher boost.

Old 03-11-2003, 12:39 PM
JMC,

I feel better now.

Thats exactly what I was thinking about the timing! Infact, I was about to change to a lower boost pulley, to get the boost temps down so that timing would not have to be reduced as much so that I would increase power-not heat! ha!

Yeah, right now, I am trying to figure out how to mount a oem Lightning heat exchanger. The stock Allen kit heat exchanger is the trans. cooler type. The oem lightning is a radiator type which I hope dissipates heat better. It should also increase my cooling capacity since it has tanks on either side of the core.

I think, I will get it mounted and then go get an actual dyno tune. Thanks again.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Cool

HI!... IRON HORSE : Sounds like you got a chip from YING&YANG. You know who I'm talking about. Why do they keep playing with your timing? If you want to go richer they need to play with your injector pulse rate. By increasing it (more fuel) you will be running richer. This is what I did. I had to richen up quite a bit. Try almost 17:1 on A/F ratio. I had MIKE T crank up my pulse width but my factory in tank fuel pump was maxed out. I changed that to a 190LPH in tank pump but was still running a bit lean. I then added a AREOMOTIVE adjutable fuel regulator and that helped alot. Got chip burned again, thanks to MIKE T and it's pretty dam close now. I just have to add a few more mods then I'm going to get a final DYNO tune, to make sure my A.F's are where I want them to be.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Cool

HI!... grinomyte : It's not too good to run really LEAN for several reasons :

- cumbustion chamber temps will skyrocket, causing melted pistons, ring fatigue, melt valves, burn valves, warp aluminum cylinder heads, crack cylinder walls, wreck 02 sensors, destroy CATS.

- I like to usually stay just a tad rich. Sure you will sacrifice a bit of H.P but your engine and it's components will last MUCH longer.

Old 03-11-2003, 07:58 PM
IronHorse;

I think you are just running too much boost. Go back to 9#. Remember the L's have a lower compression ratio, which allows more boost and the guys running big boost are also running race gas.

Don't let the detonation continue - it will all go bang!!!!

Ian

Old 03-12-2003, 10:45 AM
I don't know anything about super charged trucks and that very well could be the problem.

However the 2 main things on your engine to cool it down are the ENTIRE EGR system. It meters exhaust back into the combustion chamber to cool things off. so if it is not working you get a lot of heat.

2nd and most over looked is your coolant temp sensor. If it thinks your engine is hot it will lean it all out.

just a thought-

Quick Reply: Long Term Solution for Pinging