Best intake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best intake?

Is there a difinitive answer as to which intake is best? I'm looking at 4 different ones, the K$N, Airraid, Air Force 1, and Volant. I think the K$N is probably off the list because I didn't like the fit and finish on my dad's 99. I'm open to suggestions on the others, mainly the AF1 and volant.

Thanks,

Mitch

Old 11-19-2002, 12:40 PM
MAC intake from www.poorboysperformance.com is only $139 and it looks just like the Air Force 1.

Old 11-19-2002, 01:59 PM
poorboys....They must be poor. Their 'Online Store' has been under construction for like a year

Old 11-19-2002, 06:16 PM
V8KILLAH1
I didn' t think that K&N made a full intake for our 4.2's. If they do, I would have gotten that. Only because they have been in business for as long as I can remember.

I do however, currently have the Volant. It's great. Only problem, the pretty blue filter turned pretty GRAY!

It still sounds good, and that makes me think that it is good performance wise.

You really have to ask yourself what you want in an intake.
Looks?
Performance?
Cheap?
or top of the Line?

from what I hear MAC is solid and its a good price. People will state, why pay $230 for an intake when you can pay $140 for the MAC and get a nice metal tube that does just as good a job as the $230 piece?

think about it.....

Old 11-20-2002, 12:49 AM
I'm looking for preformance, I don't care about looks, and the cost difference isn't that much in the long run if the product is better. My buddy put an airraid intake on his otherwise stock truck, it made a big difference. I still need to be able to smoke him by several truck lengths...

Mitch

Old 11-20-2002, 06:07 PM
V8KILLAH1
Sorry guy to burst your bubble, but an Intake alone is not gonna be the mod to help you beat your buddy to finish line.

List what mods you currently have and what your friend has. Truck type is helpful too.

Regardless, there is no Intake that is gonna give you significant gains. In fact, be prepared to only feel 5Hp's at the most. If you combine it with an exhaust, then that combo right there will be good. Then of course you should chip your truck.

Old 11-20-2002, 06:10 PM
V8KILLAH1
Even if you got the most expensive Intake at $250....I would save the hundres bucks, spend $140 for the MAC and use that saved $100 towards an exhaust if you don't have yet, or a chip!

You can easily spend under a hundred bucks to cut out the factory muffler and replace it with a Flowmaster (Delta 40 I heard was good and inexpensive).....

Old 11-20-2002, 06:11 PM
Cool

i got a AF-1 and had nice gains. it will not give you a few truck lengths...but it will make you more competitive. every bit helps. like mentioned above a chip and exhaust would really compliment this mod. i would totally recomend it. check it out:

Old 11-20-2002, 06:27 PM
V8KILLAH1
LBC150:

now that looks HOT! I like that kit. I should've gone with the metal tube. I don't know, someone just convinced me to go with a plastic tube kit to keep the air slightly cooler (d*mn salesmen )

when changing the airfilters, are they all compatible from manufacturer to manufacturer? or do I have to take the time to actually measure my filter's opening?

I've got Volant.....by the way.

Old 11-20-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by V8KILLAH1
Sorry guy to burst your bubble, but an Intake alone is not gonna be the mod to help you beat your buddy to finish line.

List what mods you currently have and what your friend has. Truck type is helpful too.

Regardless, there is no Intake that is gonna give you significant gains. In fact, be prepared to only feel 5Hp's at the most. If you combine it with an exhaust, then that combo right there will be good. Then of course you should chip your truck.
Apparently nobody reads sig lines anymore (see my original post). It's already chipped with a different muffler and some other stuff.

I'm not looking to gain 3-4 lengths on him, I can still beat him by at least 2 lengths, so I'm looking to get back that 1 he gained when he added the intake. I used to beat him all day by 3 lengths. I think there is a substancial reduction in flow from the flex section of the factory intake, so I want a better intake.

Our trucks are very similar, both 4.2 5 speeds with 3.55 gears and 275/60/17 tires, I went with a magnaflow, he did flowmaster. I have the modified airbox with K&N, he got the airraid kit. I have a chip, he doesn't. He has a LS differential, so he usually gets a little better launch than I do, but I pull right past him in the top of second gear.

Here's the sig again:

Mitch

Old 11-21-2002, 04:03 AM
when changing the airfilters, are they all compatible from manufacturer to manufacturer? or do I have to take the time to actually measure my filter's opening?
most of the aftermarket intakes come with a K@N-ish type filter. bassically you just clean and keep using. there is no need to replace them.

Old 11-21-2002, 01:39 PM
Never put my truck on a dyno, but I would be surprised if the Airaid or comparable FIPK only added 2-5 hp.

FWIW, on my truck, the Airaid made absolutely no noticeable difference in power below 3,000 rpm. However, above 3k there is a noticeable improvement. Not as much improvement as adding the chip, but a gain nonetheless. I had heard the intake systems added approx. 10 hp to our trucks, which seems about right to my 'butt dyno'.

Old 11-21-2002, 01:58 PM
V8KILLAH1
my bad Bronco man...with such simple questions, I figured you were all stock.

how is it that you have a chip and your friend only has LS rear and an Airraid and he can still keep up with you?

I'd figure that the chip alone would leave him behind.

Wow, just the intake alone improved your buddy's truck by 1 truck length!

Watch out, he may get chipped and then what?

***it makes me feel gloomy reading you guy's signatures with all your mods....one day when I grow up, I'll be a BIG BAD V6 just like my bros......

Old 11-21-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by V8KILLAH1
my bad Bronco man...with such simple questions, I figured you were all stock.

how is it that you have a chip and your friend only has LS rear and an Airraid and he can still keep up with you?

I'd figure that the chip alone would leave him behind.

Wow, just the intake alone improved your buddy's truck by 1 truck length!

For some reason his truck seemed to have a bit more torque than mine did stock, but we raced pretty even. When the modding began I started with the chip, muffler, K&N filter, and the throttle body mod all at once. I easily had him by 3-4 lengths after that. He added a muffler about 6 months ago, and the airraid about 2 months ago. Now my lead is down to 2 lengths.

I'm not 100% convinced that the chip is all it's cracked up to be. I'm planning on adding a set of JBA headers and an intake, then having it reprogrammed.

Sorry for my basic questions. I was basically asking for a consensus on the best intake from the group based on performance. It sounds like they are all about the same, so I'll probably save some $$$ and get the MAC one. Does anybody have an installed pic of the MAC one?

Thanks,

Mitch

Old 11-23-2002, 03:03 PM
AMSI Air Intake Kit

Hi. I found a good deal on a AMSI air intake kit with reuseable filter. Anyone know of this name brand? It has a 3" red metal tube for the V6. Is this a cheap knockoff of KNN? Also, I have a KNN conical filter. Think this filter would fit on the AMSI?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Best intake?