Marvel Mystery Oil for HPFP on Eb's

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have had a few people mention running Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas to make the HPFP quite on these trucks. Many say to run 4oz to 10 gallons of gas. I went and bought some this morning, came home and put 10oz of it in the gas tank and let the truck idle in the driveway. Within 5 mins it was atleast 50 percent more quite! Can definitely tell the difference.

Just figured i would pass it on here.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

What's the HPFP?

Old 06-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
What's the HPFP?
High Pressure Fuel Pump

Old 06-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

How does a lubricant work on a fuel pump? That's a new one. This is a common noise with EBs?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Uh, I'd rethink that if I were you. First off, the name Marvel Mystery OIL is just plain wrong and is deceptive. There's zero "oil" in it. Yes, there are derivatives but not a lubricating oil , as such. The main component is naphthenic hydrocarbons. For the record, those are distillates of coal tar. They can accumulate and cause things to get sticky- not something you want in a fuel pump. The above is in 70-80% concentration in the bottle. The other large component would be mineral spirits, about 20-30%. Less than 1% is a chlorinated hydrocarbon. It is a 100% solvent and nothing has any lubricating qualities at all. Frankly, diesel fuel is more lubricious than this stuff. The best fuel additive for this application is going to be one made with esters. Great solvency and yet provides lubrication. As far as I know as I don't get onto this, there's only one and that's Eco-Tek-1. I'm not endorsing it as I know very little about it. But it's far better than MMO. Frankly, using nothing is far better than using MMO. Your truck, your money.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You shouldn't run that stuff in your gas or new DPF/SCR diesels. It contaminates the catalytic converters (gas) or a diesel particulate filter/selective catalyst reduction system (diesel).

Only use additives that are designed for the application.

Older gas/diesel engines that don't have reducers can run anything with hardly any ill effects to a point.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:44 PM
umm, stuff has been around forever.. Never heard anything bad about it.. Did some research on on the ol interweb and it gets alot of praise especially in the D/I engines.

Oh well, all i know is the truck is quite now instead of all the racket going on under the hood.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 06-17-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
How does a lubricant work on a fuel pump? That's a new one. This is a common noise with EBs?
This is what the truck sounds like and has since day 1. Now its sounds like a normal 2013 idling instead of this.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:17 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I think I'd ditch the MMO too, Coy. It's interesting, I think the engine in my truck is VERY quiet, although it did seem more noisy when it had the 5W20 oil in it. I immediately noticed it was quieter when the oil was replaced with 5W30.

I've certainly never noticed the "clattering" you have in your engine.

- Jack

Old 06-18-2015, 02:14 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
MMO goes back to when motor oils were just that and that only- just oil. No additives, no anti wear agents, nothing but base oils and those were solvent refined. MMO was a good thing to have around to keep the internals from sludging up and keep things clean. It was also good for an engine that sat a while as the valves had a tendency to get sticky. For the most part, as an oil additive, it burns off in about a thousand miles leaving the trash hopefully in the oil filter. Frankly, it has next to no value in any engine today. There are far safer things available to use than a solvent in the gas or oil.

I assume you understand that the injection system at idle on that EB is running right at 2500PSI. A lot of what you are hearing is the fuel pump going into by-pass as all of the fuel is not needed by the engine so it returns to the tank. Being a different viscosity the MMO is only masking the noise. I assume you are also familiar with Ford SSM 21762 that talks about the pump noise being normal. Yours is probably the loudest I've heard but it can make that EB sound like a diesel at idle. I'd still have concerns about it causing failure in the fuel pump due to the asphaltenes in the formulation.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the HPFP noise bothers you I would suggest checking the foam cover for it for proper fit. If it's loose the pump noise won't be masked as well. Another possibility would be to make a secondary cover for it. Look around, the aerospace industry had to trash a ton of insulation and foam because the flammability requirements changed. Find some of the high temp noise reduction foam and that should squash a lot of the noise. That would be a lot better than dumping some crap into your tank.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:41 PM
I will say it doesn't seem as loud as the camera makes it out to be, but it is definitely noticeable when sitting in a drive thur or at the bank. There has been times i had to shut the truck off cause i couldn't hear over the speaker.

I will stop using it, just sucks cause it is nice to have a quite truck idling.

Oh well live and learn. The truck hasn't let me down yet, i doubt 10oz of MMO will do it.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:49 PM
Tried to get a video of it quieter but with my Tune and being 90 degrees the fans are to loud to notice the engine sound.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Frankly, diesel fuel is more lubricious than this stuff.
I need to find more opportunities to use the word lubricious in my daily life!

Old 06-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mkosu04
I need to find more opportunities to use the word lubricious in my daily life!
It DOES have a sexy sound, doesn't it? And, makes me think somewhat naughty thoughts.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Marvel Mystery Oil for HPFP on Eb's