Neal (Guru), Baumann

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neal (Guru), Baumann

I was told that the Baumann would be the best for my setup, ATI.
I was also told to order the sonnex valves. How long can I expect the install to take for a first timer. Any special tools. Should I get a deep trans pan with an oil plug? If so, which pan (part #).
Also, now much should I expect to pay?

Thanks Neal,

Old 04-08-2002, 01:53 AM
ttt

Old 04-08-2002, 05:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... 808Hawaiian : Sorry I did'nt answer you sooner, bu I only check out this thread every once and a while.

Don't get me wrong I like the BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit but I like the TRANSGO shift kit better. My BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit cost me $2500(CAN) to get my tranny rebuilt and then 15 minutes after it was rebuilt it caused my intermediate shft to snap. It's a very long story and I won't bore you with the details. I would definately go with a transgo on it's highest setting and get your SUPERCHIP's shift firmness cranked up a bit to to work with the shift kit. That's what I have. No matter what kit you decide to go with make sure you DO the OVERDRIVE mod!!!!!! This mod increases the line pressure to the overdrive band to increase it's clamping force. This keeps the band from wearing out during WOT upshifts from 3rd gear to overdrive. This is a MUST!!!!!!!! The TRANSGO KIT has a safety valve incorporated into it where it won't cause your intermediate shft to break like mine did with the B/E kit. The B/E kit does'nt have this safety measure incorporated into it. If you can afford a deeper pan then definately go for it. YES I would install a drain plug in the tranny pan. That's what I did. Make sure you install a new tranny filter as well and a AUX tranny filter installation is a good idea as well. Definately get the 2 SONNAX valves!!!!!!! I did and have never looked back. Do you have a 4r100 04 a 4R70-W tranny? I would also install some synthetic tranny fluid as well. I like REDLINE D-4. Hope this helps you out.

Old 04-09-2002, 11:53 PM
Can someone please explain these dang Sonnax valves I keep hearing about. What are they and where do you get them? Are they available for the 4R70W?

Old 04-09-2002, 11:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Here ya go :

Pressure Regulator Valve for Ford AOD-E / 4R70W Transmissions

The stock main pressure regulator valve in the AOD-E and 4R70W transmissions is prone to wear and sticking, which can be detrimental to transmission longevity. This Sonnax replacement valve is made of high quality hard anodized aluminum alloy and incorporates annular grooves to equalize the pressure around the circumference of the valve. These grooves allow the valve to float in the bore with a minimum of side loading and scuffing, resulting in longer valve body and transmission service life.

Installation of this valve is recommended for transmissions with greater than 40,000 miles of use. Replacement of this and other valves is simple once the valve body is removed. As a low-cost insurance policy, this component can be installed in conjunction with our ReCal Pro? Valve Body Recalibration Kit with no additional effort.

Catalog Number: PR-AOD-E

BYPASS Clutch Control Valve for AOD-E / 4R70W Transmissions

[Sonnax Bypass Clutch Control Valve and Sleeve for AOD-E/4R70W Transmissions] This precision replacement valve and orificed sleeve are manufactured by Sonnax utilizing superior construction and materials. These redesigned components help to prevent and eliminate torque converter clutch slip and shudder concerns in AOD-E and 4R70W transmissions. This valve is recommended for any AOD-E or 4R70W transmission that has higher mileage or has experienced torque converter clutch problems.

Catalog Number: BCV-AOD-E

There's more info on the SONNAX valves here : http://www.baumannengineering.com/aodecat.htm

Old 04-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Thanks Neal, just the info I needed. I deffiently need to install both Sonnax valves, a Transgo kit, new filter and fluid.
Did your kit have their Torque-Compensation feature? It still doesn't have the safety feature like the Transgo that I know of, but of course I will not be pushing my truck the way you do. Here's the clip about it
"Our new Torque-Compensation feature is an industry exclusive which allows the transmission hydraulics to be tuned to the engine’s torque characteristics, thus providing maximum durability and proper shift feel independent of the shift firmness setting. With our advanced shift firmness selection and exclusive torque compensation it is now possible to properly calibrate the transmission for the increased demands created by supercharging, turbocharging, increased displacement and similar modifications without destroying the transmission’s street manners and daily driveability. This design provides the performance tuner with access to most of the variables used by OEM engineers when designing a new powertrain combination."

Does anyone happen to know how much the Baumann TC costs? How about their performance transmissions? I may be in need of one or the other. I might as well spend a few more dollars and get the most performance/durabilty that I can.

Old 05-07-2002, 05:38 PM
shift kit guys ... take a look here ...

hey i wanted to bring this thread back up cause there was some info i wanted in it ..i have my trans-go kit and the sonnex valves ready to install..is the o.d. upgrade your talking about on the back page of the instructions?...i really don't see many options in the instructions other than drilling the hole larger which one have you done?? mild street rod,hot rod with original converter,or smaller diameter high stall converter..any other comments would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!! on your installs ..i want to do it right once....AODE TRANNY ..is it a big deal to drain the t.c. i'm thinking of going synth fluid ...or what do you recommend for regular fluid ....anyway lots of questions ...thanks for any info...

Old 05-08-2002, 04:38 PM

Old 05-08-2002, 08:07 PM
ROUSHFAN-1-

I'm sure that the Transgo guys will help you soon. I have the BE kit; it has an optional OD mod that includes a "high-torque overdrive servo regulator valve spring". What I wanted to tell you was to definately drain the torque convertor. It's a simple way to drain more than half of the fluid. You turn the engine over clockwise (facing it) until you see the drain plug appear at the 6 o'clock position after removing the access plug in the bell housing. Re-use the plug and torque it to 22ft./lbs. It's a good idea to install a drain plug in your pan and use some cheap ATF until you have your kit shifting the way that you want to leave it. Once everything is working well, you can easily drain with the plugs and add synthetic fluid later; it is a better product. Redline and Amsoil are equally good.

Last edited by max mitchell; 05-08-2002 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2002, 07:12 PM
bueler ...bueler....anyone ...anyone???????

Quick Reply: Neal (Guru), Baumann