4R70W replacement transmission tailshaft housing 1” longer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4R70W replacement transmission tailshaft housing 1” longer.

I know I seen a thread pertaining to this topic but cannot seem to locate it at the moment. I don’t recall there being a definitive answer. I am in the process of replacing a transmission for a new customer in his 2000 F150 2WD. His 4R70W went from slow to engage out of park or neutral to not engaging at all. I dislike most inexperienced people do and performed the basic tranny service (new filter, new gasket, clean the magnet, check for brass/metal flakes in the pan, and 5 quarts of new Mercon V. You guessed it , it made it worse for draining out the old fluid which had disintegrated clutch material in it and adding new clean fluid which washed away even more of the friction material away. So I hunted around and via FaceBook market found a recently rebuilt 4R70W replacement for under $500.00 and 2 hours away. Everything looked the same but when I got it back to the shop and was double checking everything that’s when I happened to measure the tail-shaft housing and found the replacement to be an inch longer. I went ahead and installed it and tried to install the drive line and of coarse it was too long. I took some more measurements making sure there wasn’t a flat spot on the shaft or not enough splines stopping the slip yolk from going all the way in, there wasn’t it was just bottoming out so I cut 1” of the slip yolk of said drive line put a chamfered edge to it , cleaned up the splines and installed it with no other problems .

Old 07-02-2019, 08:30 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
so....was there a question here?....or just noting that there is a difference in 4r70w tailshaft length's

Old 07-02-2019, 11:47 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Watch and learn:

More likely than not, the redneck adaptation will result in premature U-joint failure. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-03-2019, 03:12 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DragmNdrivemout
I dislike most inexperienced people do and performed the basic tranny service (new filter, new gasket, clean the magnet, check for brass/metal flakes in the pan, and 5 quarts of new Mercon V. You guessed it , it made it worse for draining out the old fluid which had disintegrated clutch material in it and adding new clean fluid which washed away even more of the friction material away.
Based on your experience, it's better not to do anything at all? Will the worn transmission from a model year 2000, which is 19 years old, repair itself, because somebody does not service it? Or do you have a better service procedure?

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
the redneck adaptation will result in premature U-joint failure.
We don't know that he's a redneck. We have no established facts in evidence. Only by his own admission that he believes transmission service causes transmission failure; as opposed to other people who believe in regular service intervals to maintain the transmission. We also know that he shops on Facebook. But that would not indicate that Facebook is his source of fake news. We also know that he had no prior knowledge of the different configurations for the same transmission.

If I were a redneck, I would be a little sensitive and offended.

so I cut 1” of the slip yolk of said drive line
Most mechanics I know would not do that with a customer's car. Even if you did not specifically have knowledge, the transmission builder selling the unit would have asked you the right questions to make sure that you got the right transmission for your customer. Assuming that you have a business to business relationship with the transmission builder, there should be no problem in returning the incorrect transmission for the correct transmission. But then again, most mechanics buy parts from distributors, and not Facebook.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:54 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
We don't know that he's a redneck.
It was the adaptation that was termed "redneck", not the individual, whereas the Jeff Foxworthy definition of "redneck" was used. That definition is "A complete lack of sophistication".

Old 07-03-2019, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
It was the adaptation that was termed "redneck", not the individual, whereas the Jeff Foxworthy definition of "redneck" was used. That definition is "A complete lack of sophistication".

Then could we perhaps, say, that the term "redneck" is more of a term of endearment? That it conveys a special affection? Maybe even hinting at a fraternal connection?

Forgive me. I am not cool. I just don't know the hipster slang. I don't speak jive.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:12 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
well he b gettn er done!.....

Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know how that slip yoke went in there, but I do know this. There isn't enough clearance between the back of the output shaft and the bottom of the slip yoke bore now.

So, what does that matter?

It REALLY matters. Anyone doing this or the truck owner won't likely notice it initially, but the transmission will. As the suspension moves, the slip yoke needs to have proper travel to slip. That's the whole point of a slip yoke. Otherwise there would be a u-joint connection there. The effective length of the driveshaft changes quite a bit as the suspension moves. Without proper clearance the slip yoke ends up hammering on the end of the output shaft. This hammering forces the output shaft to move forward and beats the living hell out of the transmission internals.

This is one case where you REALLY don't want to do any form of (insert derogatory adjective of your choice here) engineering. There are a whole lot of terms for people who do stuff like that. Most start with a d, j or m, are often preceded with a word starting with f. None of them are at all flattering but are very deserved because people who do stuff like this hurt other people and are proud of themselves for doing what they do.

D

Old 07-15-2019, 12:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
In other words, what Darrin is referring to is no different than cutting a PTO shaft to fit a tractor and implement.

If the shaft is too long, and it fits when the implement is on the ground, then you go to lift the 3pt arms, it shaft needs to slide a bit to retract. If not, it doesn't have any place to go, and will wind up either taking out a transmission or the implement gear case or both. I see this problem with a lot of folks with subcompact tractors that have no clue or didn't read the instructions.

Same thing that goes on with a slip yoke, it allows for travel with the suspension so the shaft isn't ramming itself into the tranny or bevel gear case (rear diff).

In this case, you need to make sure everything is correct... if not you'll need the correct driveshaft and slip yoke assembly.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch

This is one case where you REALLY don't want to do any form of (insert derogatory adjective of your choice here) engineering. There are a whole lot of terms for people who do stuff like that. Most start with a d, j or m, are often preceded with a word starting with f. None of them are at all flattering but are very deserved because people who do stuff like this hurt other people and are proud of themselves for doing what they do.

D

You, Sir, are politically correct, and a gentleman.

The rest of us would have just used the swear words.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
You, Sir, are politically correct, and a gentleman.

The rest of us would have just used the swear words.
There hasn't been a post in recent memory that has offended me more than when I read what this guy did to a customer. This is exactly the reason for the stereotypes that we who actually know what we're doing and honestly try to help people have to fight against.

Either do it right or don't do it. If, for whatever reason, you cant then go find something that you can do that doesn't do harm to others. Maybe apply to be a Walmart greeter or something, because buddy, this isn't your gig.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-20-2019, 03:41 AM
There hasn't been a post in recent memory that has offended me more than when I read what this guy did to a customer.
I'm in agreement. There are people who make a living, by doing everything wrong, and are proud of it. What really galls me is that they know what they are doing is wrong!

I actually cringed reading what he did to a customer's car.

Maybe apply to be a Walmart greeter or something, because buddy, this isn't your gig.
Even Wal*Mart has standards. But let's face it. This is his gig. His gig, is to find a way to fix something. He found a way to fix something. Just not the right way. But as you & I are upset by the quality of his work; his customers probably think he's the right kind of genius to make something work. Some people actually hold that type of creativity in high regard.

Fbird
well he b gettn er done!.....

I once looked under a girlfriend's car because she was complaining that the car was old, and leaking oil on her garage floor. I looked and found Loctite blue smeared all over the oil drain plug and around it. The drain plug was rounded down. I finally got the drain plug off by using an impact gun and a lug nut lock removal socket. The drain plug gasket was deformed, and also had Loctite smeared all over it. I got a new drain plug washer, and a new drain plug.

Car was only 6 years old, and maintained since new, by 1 shop. Owner was a friend of the girl's family. Shop owner told her that's what happens over time, and that all cars eventually leaked. I spoke to him. He explained that the Loctite slowed down the oil leak. Without it, the car would lose a quart a week. His guys would use an air tool so that they can get the plug on tighter, which also meant that it took that much more torque to get it off at the next oil change. That's why the head was rounded down. I had to ask the guy why his techs never changed the washer. His reply was, "this isn't a dealership, how is an independent shop suppose to have all of those different washers for different cars?"

I took a quick glance at her invoices, since she kept every receipt in a folder. He was a friend of the family. He was trying to save her a little money. Always gave her a 10% discount. Dude really took $2 off the $19.95 oil change. All the oil change tickets, every 3 months or 3,000 miles, showed 4 quarts of 10W-40. Her little Honda uses 4.5 quarts of 5W-20. So he used the wrong oil weight, and not enough of it.

he be gettn her done

Old 10-24-2019, 06:09 AM
1” update

For any and all self proclaimed masters of mechanical engineering and other people’s of popular hydrodynamic principles. The afore mentioned 1” onsite modification has had no ill effects upon the performance or lack there of in any way shape or form and the Spanish speaking amigo can be seen driving the vehicle in question with smile upon his face on a daily basis. For the amount he paid out of pocket for a professional technician to diagnose, remove, locate, and install a replacement transmission on site all the while avoiding a tow bill ,shop fees and parts markup why the choice is so in your face and easy to comprehend that even the most prominent professors of propulsion power systems would gladly have made the same choice as Louis the lucky Latino .

Old 10-24-2019, 08:16 AM
Hack

D

Old 10-24-2019, 08:58 AM

lHack

noun

Definition of “hack”

informal
: a usually simple and clever tip or technique for accomplishing some familiar task more easily and efficiently "hacks," as they are known, are all about eliminating life's manifold frustrations in simple and deliciously clever ways. The best involve tricks that are free, efficient and stunningly obvious

Quick Reply: 4R70W replacement transmission tailshaft housing 1” longer.