Towing & Hauling

Towing w/ Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing w/ Overdrive

I have a very silly question for everyone. I just got my F150 about 2 weeks ago with the 5.4L engine. I have never owned anything this capable of towing. My question is would it hurt anything to tow my boat with overdrive left on. It is a 19ft Stratos and I figure with a full load of fuel and my gear it weighs around 3500 lbs. For sure 4000 lbs would cover any of my errors. I forgot to mention I got the towing package with the truck as well. I just don't want to burn anything up or being doing something I shouldn't be doing. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't, especially if you are only going a small distance. Try it on a good flat surface to see how it struggles, if any. You never know. I don't pulling a 4k car on a 1500 lb car trailer and my o/d still died so.....

Old 03-02-2008, 12:41 PM
I have only hauled it once and turned the overdrive off. I used to haul it with a Explorer which had the V6 and never even thought about leaving overdrive on. The difference is night and day between towing with the 2 vehicles. The truck pulls it so easy I have to remind myself I am still pulling a boat back there.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The only thing that matters is if it will even stay in O/D while towing!! That's it. If it'll stay and not shift back and fourth then by all means do it. Wont hurt a thing.

But that's probably not going to be so easy. What's gonna happen is it may stay in O/D, but the converter wont stay locked. If it keeps shifting back and fourth or the converter wont stay locked, then go ahead and just turn it off. With the size of your load, it's gonna be hit or miss. You'll just have to try it and see. Don't worry, the tranny will tell you what she wants to do.

When I'm towing, I leave the O/D on. 80% of the time, it never shifts into O/D anyways, so no big deal. If I got a good tailwind, downhill, or something like that I take advantage of it. If it's flat and starts shifting back and fourth I just turn it off. None of this hurts a thing.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:55 PM
For the most part I take my boat to a lake that is real close to the house and go down many city streets to get to it. I have a few trips planned this year that will require some highway driving for a good bit of distance. I will leave the overdrive on and see how it responds. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:15 PM
I towed several cars with mine and on a flat highway surface never had any problems. but with a heavy load or a lot of inclines and hills where it would shift in an out i'd just shut it off.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:17 PM
yeah i would have to say leave it on when on a flat surface but if it begins to go in or out just shut it off till you get back on a flat ground

Old 03-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by rmadison
yeah i would have to say leave it on when on a flat surface but if it begins to go in or out just shut it off till you get back on a flat ground
yea what he said....i tow a 3500K pop-up and i leave it on, even on my 800 mile trip......it all depends on if it is searching for gears or not.....

Old 03-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
The only thing that matters is if it will even stay in O/D while towing!! That's it. If it'll stay and not shift back and fourth then by all means do it. Wont hurt a thing.

But that's probably not going to be so easy. What's gonna happen is it may stay in O/D, but the converter wont stay locked. If it keeps shifting back and fourth or the converter wont stay locked, then go ahead and just turn it off. With the size of your load, it's gonna be hit or miss. You'll just have to try it and see. Don't worry, the tranny will tell you what she wants to do.

When I'm towing, I leave the O/D on. 80% of the time, it never shifts into O/D anyways, so no big deal. If I got a good tailwind, downhill, or something like that I take advantage of it. If it's flat and starts shifting back and fourth I just turn it off. None of this hurts a thing.
x2. There is no standard Yes or No answer. If it stays locked into OD and doesn't constantly hunt then OD is fine, if it shifts a lot leave OD off. You can take the same trip with the same load and one day OD is fine, the next it isn't. Wind, temperature, etc all make the difference.

Good luck and enjoy your new F150!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks everyone for all the information. I will just do like you guys said....try it out and see how it responds.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:14 AM
I have a 19ft. Rinker Captiva. and pull it with a 99 f150 4x4 5.4l. I leave the OD on with no problems at all. The converter stays locked even going up slight grades on the interstate. full tank of fuel on my boat is 43gal. and you know all the equipment. Just tow it in different situations and see what it does. Like I said I have no problem with my truck. The wifes Durange V8. definateally needs the OD off. You should be good to go, just take it easy on the accelleration and watch to see if the converter stays locked.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 AM
I pulled my car on an open trailer this weekend 500 miles. Total weight was around 3800 lbs. I drove anywhere from 67 to 77 mph the whole way with OD engaged. I never saw the tranny temp get over 169. It was about 75 deg outside. Went from Dallas down to Baton Rouge so there were some decent rolling hills.

Pulling your boat anywhere around N Texas I wouldn't worry about keeping it in third for the weight your towing. If you are concerned get something to read tranny temps. IF they start going up then you will know you have to shift down to 3rd to stop the torque converter from kicking in/out.

I have yet to tow with our new truck in the TX summer heat yet. When its 100deg in the shade all of this may be a much different story.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Ok What about my Situation

Not to jack you thread but....

I will be traveling from NYC to NC (about an 8 hour drive) I will be towing a trailer (290lbs), an atv on the trailer (about 450lbs) and another atv in the bed (about 350lbs). All together thats 1090lbs not including me and my girlfriend inside of the truck. Do you guys think that I should leave O/D on or off. This route isnt extemelt hilly at all. I guess what Im asking is how should I know when to turn O/D on and off. This is my first truck and this is why I'm asking. Thanks

Old 03-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pmason718
Not to jack you thread but....

I will be traveling from NYC to NC (about an 8 hour drive) I will be towing a trailer (290lbs), an atv on the trailer (about 450lbs) and another atv in the bed (about 350lbs). All together thats 1090lbs not including me and my girlfriend inside of the truck. Do you guys think that I should leave O/D on or off. This route isnt extemelt hilly at all. I guess what Im asking is how should I know when to turn O/D on and off. This is my first truck and this is why I'm asking. Thanks
Not to sound like a jerk, but did you just read this thread????? Everything talked about applies to you also. The size/weight of the trailer/cargo load is irrelevent. Try it and see what she does. Go back and re-read the parts about the tranny constantly shifting back and fourth or converter not staying locked to know when to turn it off or not.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
pmason, in your situation the OD should definetly be left on.

If it starts to hunt with that load, on that route, you have other issues.

Quick Reply: Towing w/ Overdrive