SuperCrew

6.5 foot bed parking and driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.5 foot bed parking and driving

For you guys who have the F-150 Supercrew 6.5 foot bed... any problems parking and driving? I have had both a 1998 F-150 supercab shortbox and a 2002 GMC extended cab short box (forgive me) and have not had problems with them so just wanted your all's advice. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 AM
I just make sure to make wide turns and I usually park at the far end of the parking lot and walk to the store instead of just getting the closest parking spot. If I'm going anywhere I would need to parallel park or I have to park in a parking garage I drive my car instead. A Screw will completely fill up a parking spot and still stick out somewhat.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by ZEEKA
I just make sure to make wide turns and I usually park at the far end of the parking lot and walk to the store instead of just getting the closest parking spot. If I'm going anywhere I would need to parallel park or I have to park in a parking garage I drive my car instead. A Screw will completely fill up a parking spot and still stick out somewhat.
X2

Mine won't fit in the parking garage either nor my own garage at home. My wife and kids know that if we take the truck out, rain or shine we are parking someplace that is away from the store or a spot that I can pull through facing outwards.

I have never been in a spot I couldn't get out of, however sometimes it takes a few back and forth to get out of small isle parking lots. Nothing that would prevent me not from buying the 6.5 bed over the 5.5 ft bed, the extra space really come in handy hauling wood or the gear when we go camping.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I wish they offered an 8 foot bed on the Supercrew, because I'd have one. I like to snicker when that extra foot in length is discussed like it's a mile. If it doesn't fit in your garage, then that's a good reason to avoid the 6-1/2 foot bed. If you don't need the length, then forget it. Other than that, that foot longer bed will not drive any different than the 5-1/2 footer. It is not hard to turn around, parallel park, back a trailer, etc. You'll be used to it before you get home from the dealer. Trust me. I drove 8 foot bed supercabs and crew cab F-250's for years. Those were looooong, and I'd still not shy away from Chicago streets - other than height in a parking garage. NOw, I've gotthe 6-1/2 foot bed Supercrew and I daily drive it everywhere - including the City, and pull a 33 foot trailer.

With the 2008's, the advantage also is you can get the larger fuel tank with the 6-1/2 foot bed, where the 5-1/2 footer you can't. In 2009, the 36 gallon tank is standard.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I have the 6.5 bed on mine and I love it. The Supercrew with the 6.5 bed is only 6 inches longer than the Supercab with the 6.5 bed. So you are talking about a 19' or a 19.5' truck, nothing to worry about.

My brother in law has the 5.5 on his Screw and he hates it compared to my 6.5.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:56 PM
When i first got mine it took me awhile to get use to but I had been in a Mustang for 4 years. After about a week I could pretty much get it any where and now I have no problem at all. As far as parking lots go I always back in, I find it so much easier then pulling in. Then agian maybe it's because I've never really pulled into parking spots...always back in. Unless I'm at the gas station and its a straight shot.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
With the 2008's, the advantage also is you can get the larger fuel tank with the 6-1/2 foot bed, where the 5-1/2 footer you can't. In 2009, the 36 gallon tank is standard.
An pics of the 36 gal tank? I read in the manual it was an option on the Scab with 6.5' bed but I looked under there and don't see where it would fit.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:05 PM
I have had no issues with the 6.5ft bed on my supercrew. I park it anywhere and driveability is good too in or out of the city. Everytime I have used the bed to haul anything around the extra foot allowed me to haul everything with the tailgate up If you go with the 5.5ft bed the tail gate extender is a must need from my experience with the 6.5ft.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 6.5' bed and live in Atlanta (work in the city). I'll admit that you do have to use some extra care, but the 6.5' bed has never kept me out of a parking garage or parking space. For me, the key is being able to back in. I have a VERY VERY VERY small parking garage at work and I definitly wouldn't trust just anybody to get the truck in and out of there, but it you are comfortable with backing in to a spot, then you'll be fine. I LOVE having the extra foot when I'm ready to load something up.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 PM
I always back my Ford f_150 Super crew in backwards so I can get out easier if I do get boxed in by bad parkers. I love it!!!

Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 PM
I take the time to find a spot to avoid door dings. Usually back in, easier to manuever in and easier to get out. sometimes I wish I had the back up sensors or cam. At first I was usually a little crooked in the spaces, after a week no problem. Smokewgn mentioned the 36 gal tank. I have one its nice, over 500 per tank, fill up every two weeks. And most importantly, aside from function, the 6.5 bed looks better.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:52 PM
I've got the 6.5 ft bed also, took a while getting used to parking it but I had an 02 Explorer before this. Just took time getting used to how big of a vehicle it was. And I agree with Xtra Lagre Tall.....the 6.5 bed looks better than the 5.5 Only a foot but it makes a difference as far as appearance goes.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:02 AM
compared to the f-350 crew cab with the 8 ft. bed i had my screw with the 6.5 ft. bed feels like a smart car. it freed up a ton of room in our garage too.

Quick Reply: 6.5 foot bed parking and driving