Magnacharger Breather Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Magnacharger Breather Prototype

As many of you know, we have been dealing with some oil scavenging at the higher boost levels on the Magnacharger. We haven't been able to screw in a breather at the oil fill spout because the relocated alternator is in the way and prevents this. As they say in aviation, I was running out of altitude, airspeed, and ideas all at the same time. Randy, over at Martin Manufacturing made this for me today and I think it will solve our problems. Of course you will need to have your chip tuned for this but it allows the Magnacharger guys to set up the same as the Lightning. This piece is made from stainless then polished. If there is enough interest in this item it will be made available through the supporting vendors at this site. If you have questions about the install or anything else, I will get back to you. Just remember, it is Tarpon Season!

This picture was taken this afternoon and I installed the prototype tonight and I have a picture of it on my truck. I will get better install pictures tomorrow!

I figured I might as well show the install picture too!

Last edited by Silver_2000; 05-27-2002 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:41 PM
Yo Flats I love it. You will have to tell us if it makes a differnce in drivability. Contact crash so we can have a few more made up. I

Old 05-01-2002, 11:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... FLATSMAN : NICE peice!!!! No offence, but would'nt it been better if they used a peice of "MANDREL" bent stainless steel? Just a thought. That's what I would of done......... But again, I'm a perfectionist!LOL! Nice job.

Old 05-02-2002, 07:39 AM
Cool

Neal, we talked about mandrel bent stainless and that can be done but you would have to bend a long tube then cut it at both ends creating waste and higher cost. I really like the welded look and it definitely looks custom. Randy made this piece out of a tube just under three inches long so there is no waste.

Hey Skid, I am using a marine 5200 sealant ashesive to mate these parts together, It has a 48 hour cure to touch and a 5 to 7 day total cure time. If Crash needs a few of these sent out, just let Randy know. I am finished with racing until the Fall and I still need to get the chip retuned for this mod. The cool part is that I can still screw the original oil cap back on until then!

Old 05-02-2002, 05:34 PM
Looks good!
I would definitely be interested. I had the TB and elbow off and I'm getting oil at stock boost levels. I don't think there is any other cause although I realize that it could be another problem (like a bad pcv).
This would be inexpensive wouldn't it. It would be nice to see the elbow and the filter in a package.
Can someone give a little info on what has to be changed in the tune? What would be experianced without a retune? (not that I would do that)

Old 05-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Cool

Wittom, I am still in the early stages of this mod. I took it back apart today and cleaned up the 5200 before it got all set up because I had to drive the truck and could not wait for the proper cure time. Right now I installed a push in filter to get me through this weekend. I may use some two part epoxy which will cure out in about an hour unless someone has a better idea. I am not sure 5200 is the way to go. I am in the middle of Tarpon season so I can't really take too much down time on the truck. I just can't make my self stop working on it. I will keep you guys and girls posted. As you know,nothing ever happens fast with these trucks!

Old 05-27-2002, 07:42 PM
Yeah, Yeah...me too...

Sup Flats,
Very nice work Randy!
Yeah Derek wnd I were just talking about that when he was down to do Matt's ATI.

Where and when do we place our orders?

Late...

Old 05-27-2002, 10:45 PM
Cool

Hey Nodrive55, good to hear from you again. Get to Crash and ask him to get a price for you from Randy. It would be cheaper if He could sell about 10 of them so they could all be made at the same time. I finally used epoxy which works very well and cures out so you can drive your truck in about an hour. What I like about this mod is that you can keep the stock cap on or go with the breather cap. There should be at least 10 Magnacharger guys on here that could use this mod. If you need anything, just send me an email and I will help you out if I can.

Old 05-27-2002, 11:29 PM
I posted in the thread "black stickt oil in throttle body". This is what I said:
I was looking in the Lightning section and I saw this: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...&threadid=78616

I thought it sounded good so I gave it a try.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...19108&anum=111
I went to the Home Depot and picked up c couple compressor filters. It kind of looks like hell with the brass fittings and all but in one day, maybe 50mi of driving, there is oil in the filter from the pcv valve. Perhaps this is something that will work. I put a filter on the other side. No oil there yet.
Anyone see any problem doing this!
I've installed it in such a way that I can easily put it back the way it was.
What do you all think?

I realize now that I missunderstood what the line on the drivers side, from the air intake to the cam cover, does. I was thinking that I needed to filter that but I have since figured out that it doesn't help.
Now, the breather would eliminat the blow by? The filter I installed seems to be catching the oil before it makes it to the TB. Is that not enough?
I wnat to do what will work. When I saw the thread in the Lightning section I thought it sounded good.
I would like to hear what you all think.

Thanks!
Tom

Old 05-28-2002, 04:47 PM
Tom, if you didn't put it on the line with the breather, what line did you put it on? The PCV line? The link to the other posting doesn't work.

Ian

Old 05-28-2002, 05:55 PM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=78616

Hopefully this link will work.
I put the filter in the line from the pcv to the back of the tb elbow.
I guess what I am wondering is, (I can see that the filter is catching the oil,) will the breather set up that Flats Man is showing eliminate the oil from getting through the pcv and into the tb elbow?

Old 05-29-2002, 01:22 PM
Flats Man,

5200 is some serious stuff. We used it a lot on boats and yachts. We have seen in water apps installed and sealing in less than an hour doing transducers and the like.

Cure time really isn't a problem. Getting it off ever again may be!

For through hull transducers in marine applications it takes an enormous amount of energy to break the seal. Often only 6-8 square inches of 5200 would have to be cut at the edges. Then one person would crank the through hull fitting with a large pipe wrench, while another hefty guy stood on the top of it inside the boat.

Old 05-29-2002, 10:25 PM
I had a similar problem back in the days when I was running modified 1600DP air-cooled vw's drag racing. At high rpm's they'd suck oil down the carb(s) due to oil coming up the breather tube from the block.

The solution was to drill a hole in either valve cover, route 1/2inch rubber hose from each valve cover into a common box about 2 inches high, 3 inches wide and maybe 8 inches long. From there the hose goes to the carb. This little reservoir contained "liquid" blow-by gases. You could probably setup something similar for the Triton V-8's.

Any thoughts?

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=238

Part# Description Price
1754 CRANKCASE BREATHER KIT $34.95 BUY!

"Eliminate oil loss and blow-by not the breather tube. Many high winding VW engines needed additional crankcase ventilator. Crankcase pressure caused by blow-by can result in oil loss and destroyed engines. Don't gamble with your off-road machine. Install a Crankcase Breather Kit. The addition of a Sand Seal pulley Kit and Crankcase Breather Kit result in a "sealed" engine. Using proper air cleaners, your engine will run clean and free of contaminates, even in the roughest of conditions, and terrain. Kit contains one filter box, hoses, clamps and fittings required for installation. "

Old 06-02-2002, 03:50 PM
Tom;

I think the best way to run that filter would be to put it before the T in the PCV line since oil in the big PCV line would be just as bad as oil in the TB. Either way, it is going to get on the intercooler which is bad for heat transfer.

I don't think the breather mod will fix the oil in the PCV issue - that seems to be related to poor PCV baffling in the engines. It will give excessive blowby a place to go, though (ie out through the breather). Too much blowby is a problem in that the crankcase becomes pressurized and then gaskets start blowing. A sure sign of this is when you see oil around the breather opening in the intake tube.

Personally, I think both mods may be required at high boost levels - I may try yours (specially when I get the 7lb pully).

P_Ferlow - the system you are suggesting would work as well so long as the drain point was away from the PCV pickup (like the driver's side valve cover).

Ian

Quick Reply: Magnacharger Breather Prototype