S/C Tranny slipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S/C Tranny slipping

Have any of you guys had any problems with your S/C? Do you have any suggestions on how to improve reliability of tranny?

My Truck is listed below. My tranny started slipping about a month ago. The first time I noticed it slipping was about 15 mins after warm up and making a right hand turn, 1st gear only. Thats about the only time it slips while hiway driving. I pull a 3500 lb boat. When pulling out of the boat ramp, the tranny will slip, and then lock up tight. Almost like the torque converter is locking up. I've got it at the dealer now. Since it is SuperCharged I am pretty certain they are going to tell me "No warranty on the powertrain" This supercharger doesn’t add that much power (I'm know where near a lightning). I am 40 and don't hot rod the truck. I have driven with the OD engaged while towing the boat. I presumed this was OK since I live on the flatlands by the coast. Anyone have a guesstimate of what the problem may be??? And if the tranny is toast I don't want to put the same parts in that only last 30K miles. Any Thoughts???? Thanks!

Old 09-10-2001, 07:18 PM
Slipping Tranny

There are something like 20 different specs for the 4R100. If you are getting the dealer to rebuild it, get it rebuilt to Lightning/Diesel spec (the most HD build).

Personally, if they said "No Warranty", I would go to an aftermarket shop for a rebuild and spend some time working out what components you want. A good shop can work miracles.

Ian

Old 09-10-2001, 09:37 PM
I have a tranny guy and so does crash. My guy can take a stock tranny and replace with factory parts to handle up to 800 hp. Much like the lightning. Personally I like the trans go kits and will be updating my tranny to accomodate the extra hp

Old 09-11-2001, 10:26 AM
Transgo?

How will a Transgo shift kit help me if the tranny is slipping? How do you go about finding a reputable tranny rebuilder? I am in the Houston area and would appreciate any information. I also have a Super Chip, I have had that for quite a while. Thanks again.

Old 09-11-2001, 02:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i now this is a long shot but my trans started slipping between the 1-2 shift. i had the filter changed and had the trans completely flushed. after about 500 miles it quit slipping. that was about 5000 mikes ago and it is still shifting fine. i had a guy quote me $1500 to rebuild my 4r100. the filter and change was about $130 at a kwik Kar lube.

Old 09-19-2001, 09:09 AM
Tranny's fine

First of all, I'm sure most of you realize that adding the S/C or chip will void your warranty. The thing that bothers me is that if a problem develops as a result of modification, I don't have any problem paying. For example, Helfman ford here in Houston said they will not warranty the truck and they wanted $400 just to pull the tranny and find out where the problem lies. I told them forget it! I took it to a friend who pulled the pan and found the filter on the bottom of the pan. Someone on this board pointed that out to me earlier! The good news is that it works fine now.

Old 09-19-2001, 09:25 AM
tranny filter

is the filter for the trans up inside the oil pan? How often fo you have to change it?

Old 09-19-2001, 10:21 AM
Cool

Just a thought for those of you with blowers and tranny problems. Crash is right about the tranny being a weak link, especially the 4R70W. I had my tranny pulled and reinstalled for $150 and shipped my 4R70W to Art Carr and had a performance rebuild. They pretty much trashed every thing but the case and gears and installed racing clutch packs, which fill at a much faster rate than stock, a one piece input shaft, etc. I had them install a 2400 stall high performance torque converter, which is very streetable, and I can tell you that I am good to 700 HP and 600 torque so I feel I am bullit proof in the tranny department. In normal driving my trans temp gauge barely comes off the 140 degree peg. The shifts are so fast that it is almost instantly from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd, so much so that Mike T is having to do some special work on the chip burn to get the shift points where I want them. The 1/4 mile time on my signature was on a hot day with full street trim, 1/4 tank of gas and stock shift points. I was coming out of first at 5200, 2nd at 4600 and dropping into 3rd at about 3700 which as you can imagine, killed my et and top speed. Still it was good enough to beat the 4.6L Gt Mustang beside me. If you have to rebuild, do a performance rebuild from a reputable shop!

Old 09-19-2001, 01:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bjohnston.. you dodged the bullet on that one!
i work by hobby airport in houston. i have used a guy named mike at All Trans to do trans work for me - from mild to wild, his prices are responable. some small changes now would probably save you alot of money latter.

what did art car charge to build your trans flatsman.

Old 09-19-2001, 04:11 PM
Cool

I did it through a local speed shop so I am sure they got a rake on everything but the tranny was around $2000 and the torque converter was $725 and labor to take it out and install so everything came to about $3000. Shipping was included in the above prices. If you delt directly with them it would probably be cheaper but I did not have the time to mess with it.

Old 09-20-2001, 09:02 AM
Changes?

Brotherdave,
What changes would you recommend? Have you done some mods to your tranny?

Quick Reply: S/C Tranny slipping