How to: Ford Lightning swap on a N/A F150

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How to: Ford Lightning swap on a N/A F150

this is my first write up so im sure ill have to edit it a few times incase i forgot something.

the first thing you need to do is make sure you have all the parts. here is a link for the list
http://madenterprise.com/scparts.htm

Another thing that is handy to have is a chiltons or a haynes manual incase you get stuck on a certain part when dissasembling the stock intake.
i used several aftermarket parts for my install, so if you are using all factory parts, yours will be a little different. i used a Trick intercooler tank, #4 to #8 coolant crossover mod, LFP lower pulley, EGR delete, L&S oil separator, Accufab throttle body, Air Force One intake tube, and S&B air filter.

you will need a complete tool set, a torque wrench, 2 different fuel line disconnect tools, air compressor, jacks, fan removal tool (rent it at advance auto), wire and wire connectors, a 30AMP relay, 20 Amp fuse connector, 7/16" and 3/8" fuel hose, about 5ft for each, use a bottle of motor oil to lube all the rubber lines and fuel injectors to make them easier to slide on.and a pillow. the pilow is good for setting on the header panel when you are leaning over

several months before i started the swap i installed my Heat exchanger, the intercooler pump, and intercooler resevoir. i just did this to save time for when i start doing the swap.

now for the swap. i would suggest running the gas tank to below 1/4 tank to make it easier to move around. disconnect the battery first then disconnect the fuel filler hose and the overflow hose. i used to jacks to get it down by myself.
Name:  DSCF4084.jpg
Views: 10050
Size:  129.4 KB
support the tank with the two jacks, remove the two holding straps and remove them. slowly lower the tank and disconnect the fuel lines, two rubber hoses (its alot easier to just cut them and replace them with the 7/16" fuel hose later) and two electical connnections. remove the tank and clean it, so its free from dirt that may fall in when you remove the old pump.
Name:  DSCF4083.jpg
Views: 9479
Size:  116.2 KB
install the new fuel pump
Name:  DSCF4082.jpg
Views: 9545
Size:  148.1 KB

remove the two old rubber breather lines from the frame rail and replace with the new ones for the gas tank. lube up the connections with some motor oil, makes it easier to slide the hoses on.
and bolt the tank back in.

i went ahead and decided to replace the fuel filter at this time too.

start by disassembling the stock intake and remove the alternator, EGR brackets and where it connects to the exhaust manifold, disconnect all vacuum lines, throttle and cruise control cables, electrical connections.
Name:  DSCF4085.jpg
Views: 19840
Size:  206.7 KB
here is how to undo the throttle cable. on the gas pedal just push up on the black plastic peice that holds in the pedal with a screwdriver. it should pop right out.
Name:  DSCF6007.jpg
Views: 9469
Size:  57.3 KB
to undo it from the fire wall, use some pliers and squeeze these two black tabs together so it will fit into the firewall and push it threw.
Name:  DSCF6008.jpg
Views: 9391
Size:  115.7 KB

remove the COPS, blow out around the injectors and into the spark plug holes to remove some dirt. disconnect the fuel line with the bigger fuel line disconnect tool.
Name:  DSCF4089.jpg
Views: 9339
Size:  101.5 KB
i kept the fuel rails on the intake manifold when i removed it.
Name:  DSCF4087.jpg
Views: 9319
Size:  169.6 KB
fill the intake on the heads with rags so you can clean out the spark plug holes.
Name:  DSCF4093.jpg
Views: 9383
Size:  180.4 KB
mine had alot of dirt in them so i used a air compressor to blow them out and a vacuum to catch some of the debris.
Name:  DSCF4092.jpg
Views: 9406
Size:  155.4 KB
remove spark plugs and install new ones. torque to 28ft-lbs dry!

clean the intake gasket area of any dirt.
Name:  DSCF4099.jpg
Views: 9989
Size:  193.7 KB

install new gaskets and set the lower intake manifold on. torque the bolts to 19ft-lb.
Name:  DSCF4100.jpg
Views: 19238
Size:  210.5 KB
Name:  DSCF4101.jpg
Views: 17392
Size:  172.8 KB
install coil packs, injectors, fuel rail, intercooler lines and connect heater hose also.
Name:  DSCF4103.jpg
Views: 9700
Size:  194.2 KB
remove the stock fan and shroud.

install alternator and alternator bracket.
Name:  DSCF4106.jpg
Views: 11755
Size:  183.9 KB
the factory f150 alternator has a extra ground connector on it.
Name:  DSCF4115.jpg
Views: 9929
Size:  98.1 KB
the lightning alternator is grounded internally, so dont worry about the small connector.

install bolt with spacer for the pulley bridge.
Name:  DSCF4107.jpg
Views: 9386
Size:  192.4 KB
install pulley brigde
Name:  DSCF4108.jpg
Views: 12906
Size:  172.8 KB
put on supercharger. torque bolts to 33ft-lb
Name:  DSCF4117.jpg
Views: 9960
Size:  78.8 KB
and attach upper plenum.
Name:  DSCF4118.jpg
Views: 9319
Size:  109.7 KB
attach throttle body and throttle cable bracket.
Name:  DSCF4120.jpg
Views: 10871
Size:  137.4 KB
Name:  DSCF4121.jpg
Views: 9597
Size:  124.0 KB
i used a LFP quich change lower for my lower pulley. it is the stock size 8# pulley.
Name:  DSCF4123.jpg
Views: 9431
Size:  101.0 KB
install throttle and cruie control cables

Name:  DSCF4124.jpg
Views: 15971
Size:  152.0 KB
i routed all my vacuum lines, attach the two new 3/8" fuel hose to the brake booster and the green nipple above it.

extend the IAC and IAT sensor wires so they will reach the new locations.

Last edited by str8t six; 12-26-2011 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice! is it running yet? did you end up using JJ for a custom tune? Did you port the blower or anything? Id be very curious to see what both of our trucks are putting down...Im curious if you are getting much more out of that throttle body, intake w/ elbow, and the intercooler. Mine is pretty much all stock parts but I gasket matched everything above the lower intake manifold, and ported the stock TB. You are going to love it, the torque is unbelieveable, but get ready to spend a ton of $$$ in fuel...I still cant keep my foot out of it!

Old 12-25-2011, 08:18 PM
yeah i sent the first datalog to JJ saturday, so ill get the revised tune sometime this week. i did port everything! i did the lower intake, mildly ported the blower and ported plenum!

i cant wait to drive it, but it wont be atleast till wednesday for me!! Do you have any numbers that your truck put out? people keep askin me how much more HP is it going to give me and i just dont know, because you cant go off the stock lightning because we have a higher compression ratio and i have modded parts too!

Old 12-25-2011, 09:36 PM
no I havent gotten it on a dyno yet...have been working on little issues trying to get it 100% dialed before it goes on they dyno. Im going to try having it reflashed by ford again and if that gets it, then I will go ahead and load the tune from JJ and get it datalogged. Then I will get it on dyno.

I just had the blower off to the the porting and got talked out of it for stock level boost so I just matched everything for now...once im ready to raise the boost level I will probably have POSI port the blower.

That being said, daily driving it, it is insane...I have embarrassed so many unsuspecting cars and trucks that had no idea (its so fun!) and towing is amazing for a half ton truck! Its funny though, as fast and fun as it is I cant wait to put the money together for a built short block, built trans and lots more boost!

Old 12-25-2011, 09:47 PM
according to my edge evo (corrected for 35's) my truck has done 0-60 in 5.5 seconds...its hard to get a good launch though as you have to very carefully roll into the throttle or you will just light up the back tires! honestly once I get it 100% right I think theres more in it, plus JJ's tune as well!

Old 12-25-2011, 09:53 PM
^ thats good to hear! i bet i can roast my 35's easily with the 4.88 gears i got!

did you plug the silncer holes on the blower?

Old 12-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Lets just put it this way...my truck has 4.10s, and I can absolutely MELT my 35's anytime...you CANNOT go WOT below 20-30mph without spinning...my truck actually surprised me, I was towing our offroad car and got stuck in traffic in socal, the other lane opened up and I JUMPED on it and merged over, the truck broke them loose all the way through first gear while towing 6000lbs...I was pretty amazed!

no I thought about it, and it would be fun around town, but the blower is LOUD under load towing 6K lbs over the passes I have to do and it would get old on the road trips I do

Old 12-25-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by str8t six

wire up the intercooler pump. i mounted the IC pump in the stock lightning location and ground the pump on that crossmember. i used the starter solinoid for the power and a 20AMP fuse. i used a 30 amp relay to kick the pump on with the ignition and used the 12V switch source from the trailer tow relay in the fuse box and grounded the relay on the body.

install

might want to post some pics of the wiring to help people out

Old 12-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mxr181
Lets just put it this way...my truck has 4.10s, and I can absolutely MELT my 35's anytime...you CANNOT go WOT below 20-30mph without spinning...my truck actually surprised me, I was towing our offroad car and got stuck in traffic in socal, the other lane opened up and I JUMPED on it and merged over, the truck broke them loose all the way through first gear while towing 6000lbs...I was pretty amazed!

no I thought about it, and it would be fun around town, but the blower is LOUD under load towing 6K lbs over the passes I have to do and it would get old on the road trips I do
Do you have a stock 4r70w?

Old 12-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by mxr181

thats awesome! i cant wait to drive mine! i just got to be careful with the cold weather up here!

Originally Posted by tarajerame
might want to post some pics of the wiring to help people out
im going to. ive been taking pics along the way, i just havent loaded them yet. i still have more to write.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by str8t six
thats awesome! i cant wait to drive mine! i just got to be careful with the cold weather up here!

im going to. ive been taking pics along the way, i just havent loaded them yet. i still have more to write.
Dude, you are the MAN for doing a write-up! This is gonna make my life much easier!!!!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:31 PM
no I put a 4r100 in my truck...its stock except a superduty trans cooler and a factory tech valve body...so far so good but the way I drive my truck I dont honestly know how long it will last, BUT I have a Lightning 4r100 sitting in the garage and planning on having it built and putting it in...just hoping the one in the truck now lasts long enough for me to afford having the L trans built and a nice converter

Old 12-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by SupercrewLightn
Dude, you are the MAN for doing a write-up! This is gonna make my life much easier!!!!
yeah i wanted to do one because there really isnt much info in one spot about how to do it. there are alot of questions i had before i did the the swap and i want to try and help answer them for others.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 AM
here is how to wire up the intercooler pump.

wire up the intercooler pump. i mounted the IC pump in the stock lightning location
Name:  DSCF6002.jpg
Views: 9099
Size:  171.4 KB
and ground the pump on that crossmember.
Name:  DSCF6003.jpg
Views: 8576
Size:  118.1 KB
i used the starter solinoid for the power and a 20AMP fuse.
Name:  DSCF6004.jpg
Views: 8435
Size:  210.7 KB
i used a 30 amp relay to kick the pump on with the ignition and used the 12V switch source from the trailer tow relay in the fuse box and grounded the relay on the body.
Name:  DSCF6005.jpg
Views: 8657
Size:  256.2 KB

Old 12-26-2011, 02:10 PM
dang and i thought my engine bay was dirty!

Quick Reply: How to: Ford Lightning swap on a N/A F150