How to: Ford Lightning swap on a N/A F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by str8t six
atleast you will have some people to help you with the install, that will make it go alot faster.
I appreciate all the help and guidance you have given me str8t! and thanks to all the others that have helped make this swap so much easier! Big thanks to tarajerame, phil, twinskrewed, and many others! Also thanks to all the good people on lightningrodder!

Last edited by formuladriver01; 01-26-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can't believe i haven't seen this thread, nice write up man!

i'm curious as to where you bought the parts for the coolant crossover mod, i remember reading a thread on LR about it and it had info. where and what all did you get for the mod?

Old 01-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by coobies5
can't believe i haven't seen this thread, nice write up man!

i'm curious as to where you bought the parts for the coolant crossover mod, i remember reading a thread on LR about it and it had info. where and what all did you get for the mod?
I got the info from LR in the how to gen 2 section. I found two or three of them in the back pages. I am going to do the one where you take out the freeze plugs and run some Lincoln navigator parts and connect the lines. I'll see if I can dig them up.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:08 PM
http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum...ead.php?t=9460

This is the coolant cross over that I am going to do.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks, i read it on Lrodder, i didnt use the AN fittings that some of those guys were, i used brass fittings. if you look on the thread it has what size parts you need. i wouldnt do this mod again tho, i had problems with the fittings leaking, so i had to resort to JB welding them.

but if i was building a motor to put in, i would do what formuladriver is doing and use the navigator parts.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh ok, i thought those brass fittings looked a lot like....brass fittings hahahaha. smart and quick/easy to do though. guess i'll have to see if a dealer can still get those parts, or i'll be out at the junkyard pulling them.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still workin on my vac lines- Even with all the how to's and videos i'm still tryin to figure out all the little connections- got some T's and a few other little pieces, so I think I might be able to finish it..

Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by SupercrewLightn
Still workin on my vac lines- Even with all the how to's and videos i'm still tryin to figure out all the little connections- got some T's and a few other little pieces, so I think I might be able to finish it..
Can't wait to see some pic and vids of the build!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Faster150
dang and i thought my engine bay was dirty!
, We know how to keep them clean... Many don't and let all that crap feed into the engine compartment.

What usually happens is the wheel well skirts fall off at some point. The driver is unaware. Or , a body lift is installed without lengthening the skirts.

Engine gets hit, so do the coils... - Plug wells can fill with water, etc, etc...

str8t six - Good write up, but you suck at video's . I would like to see a few good launches from the outside. - Like Joey did, -

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p...%3Dlaunch3.mp4

Fun project, - you still data logging? Have the final tune yet? - I didn't see the whole thread, might have missed it.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by SupercrewLightn
ill make a better video this weekend.

Originally Posted by jbrew
, We know how to keep them clean... Many don't and let all that crap feed into the engine compartment.

What usually happens is the wheel well skirts fall off at some point. The driver is unaware. Or , a body lift is installed without lengthening the skirts.

Engine gets hit, so do the coils... - Plug wells can fill with water, etc, etc...

str8t six - Good write up, but you suck at video's . I would like to see a few good launches from the outside. - Like Joey did, -

Fun project, - you still data logging? Have the final tune yet? - I didn't see the whole thread, might have missed it.
yeah, thats what happens when you go mud ridding alot. i was always scared to clean the engine because i didnt want to mess up the electrical.

dont be knockin my videos, it was cold outside!! i didnt want to stay out there.
this one isnt very good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDzQg...eature=related

heres one on the inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT74z...6fAUAAAAAAAGAA

Last edited by str8t six; 01-27-2012 at 12:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-27-2012, 01:57 PM

yeah, thats what happens when you go mud ridding alot. i was always scared to clean the engine because i didnt want to mess up the electrical.
Can't blame yuh there. I messed up one doing that. Pulled the battery and power washed the snot out of it. Blew it all out with compressed air, ie,-connectors, plug wells, etc, etc.

Installed the battery, fired her up, lost one coil right away and the rest were shorting intermittently. That was back in 2000. I think I learned a little since then ? Very little..
dont be knockin my videos, it was cold outside!! i didnt want to stay out there.
this one isnt very good
I haven't seen those yet. That's what meant! Sounds good!

Old 01-27-2012, 02:55 PM

i used brass fittings. if you look on the thread it has what size parts you need. i wouldnt do this mod again tho, i had problems with the fittings leaking, so i had to resort to JB welding them.
Yea, those pretty brass fittings can leak.Teflon tape won't help much. That was originally designed to be used on pipe threads that were "old" and had been taken apart many times in the past. The "rounded" edges of the threads would allow leaks. The Teflon tape would fill the voids and seal the threads.

Today, people use Teflon tape on all threads, however, new threads just cut the tape as you put the two parts together, and don't improve the sealing quality of the tapered pipe thread.

So, the trick, -well not really a trick, use a silicon made for high temp sealing, that can handle a little pressure. High Heat Ultra Black (Permatex) will seal them up. Smear a little on the threads before matting together.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 AM
How much total did this cost you man? I've been thinkin about how to get some sort of big mod done to my truck quickly so as to save time doing the small things.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 AM
you can do the swap for about $3000 if you buy used and get some good deals.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a lot of good buys out there so I would think you could beat the $3000 mark.

Here is a reasonable deal, but not complete. This is how I started and easy to finish this off. Just providing as an example:

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum...ad.php?t=92264

Quick Reply: How to: Ford Lightning swap on a N/A F150