About to get BLOWN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 05:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking About to get BLOWN!!!!!

Well, after much debate and thinking, I am going to get a Whipple supercharger!!!! I got the HP bug and can't seem to shake it. I want that "throw you back against the seat" power.

I was going to just get custom tunes from Troyer but knew I would just be wasting more money because I already have the Edge tuner with custom settings and figure Troyer tunes can't be that much more of a difference in HP. Not knocking Troyer here, from what I have read he sounds like a great guy, I just thought why waste more money on just another tuner when I would want the blower eventually anyway. So I decided to get a supercharger and an XCal 3. This way with some custom tunes I can unleash all the power that the blower has to offer. I am even thinking about taking the trip to his shop to have all this work done. Waiting to here back from the email I sent him yesterday.

I went with the Whipple because after much research I think they put out the best numbers, is easy to increase to higher boost if wanted, and is the best overall value. I liked the Roush and Kenne Bell too, but I think the Whipple has them beat and puts power out across the widest rpm range. If anyone else has an opinion or some info here, feel free to speak up.

I am thinking about bumping up to 10 psi on the boost... The motor is all stock, would I have to beef anything else up??? I also have 3.55 l/s gears and will probably change them to Ford Racing 4.10's l/s. It's a daily driver and drive about 100 or so miles a day so I want to maintain driveablity, but want it to be a little more fun.

This website is really great, but makes me spend so much money and I don't think I will ever be done with mods to my truck. But at least it keeps me outta trouble and makes my ride looks nice. I can't wait to get the blower done now, I feel like a 5 year old on christmas eve waiting for Santa:santa:

Old 11-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Reinhardt003
About to get BLOWN!!!!!
I wish I could say that.....I wish I was getting a supercharger too

Old 11-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Where are you getting the Whipple? What's the best price you have found?

I am looking strongly to go with Troyer for the Roush s/c package. $5,900 or so, comes with 3/36 powertrain warranty. Maybe I ought to give Whipple a look too.

Hmmm

Thanks,
CW

Old 11-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CWCobra

I am looking strongly to go with Troyer for the Roush s/c package. $5,900 or so, comes with 3/36 powertrain warranty. Maybe I ought to give Whipple a look too.

Hmmm

Thanks,
CW
You wont get any warenty like Roush with the Whipple.

Phil

Old 11-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by CWCobra

Hmmm

Thanks,
CW
After a a short web search I found the the Whipple for $4900 or so. Its a complete kit, with the intercooler and all parts needed to bolt it up. Don't know how much shipping would be. If you look around you kind find one cheaper than the Roush.
I am going with the Whipple because it makes more power, upgrading power is easier with more power available, it runs cooler, it is more efficient, and a twin screw supercharger is just better overall than a roots style supercharger or a centrifugal supercharger. I know some will argue this here but I have done some research and from what I have read a twin srew (Whipple) is a better choice.
You won't get the warranty like a Roush, but I am out of warranty on my truck and I believe the warranty is kind of pointless. I have heard other stories about people having problems with a Roush supercharger and Roush not honoring the warranty and it is a fight to get them to cover the problem. Roush always seems to find a reason why they should not cover the warranty.
I am not down playing Roush here. I had no problem with Roush when I had a problem with their exhaust and they needed to replace it due to defective welds.
I have not heard of anyone having a problem with the Whipple and it just seems like the better choice. Everyone is going to have their own opinion here and this is just mine....

Old 11-23-2007, 06:19 PM
I just got an email from from Ryan at JDM Engineering and I can get the Whipple for $5100. That's for the black one because I really don't like the polished superchargers. It's gonna be about $9500 total. That price includes the supercharger, dyno tune, XCal2 with cutom tunes, bigger fuel, pulley upgrade, and air intake upgrade, all labor and I would be at 12 PSI of boost. I would be at around 470 RWHP.

Looks like I will be making a few phone calls and get the necessary funds together next week to have this done ASAP. I guess this is gonna be my christmas pesent to myself this year.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Reinhardt003, please keep us updated, i will follow this thread closely because i want to take the same route as you.

BTW, have you dyno'ed your truck? It would be nice to see what kind of increase you get after installing the blower

Old 11-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sal FX4
Reinhardt003, please keep us updated, i will follow this thread closely because i want to take the same route as you.

BTW, have you dyno'ed your truck? It would be nice to see what kind of increase you get after installing the blower
No dyno runs yet, but want them to do a before and after so I can see the difference in power. I went this route because after looking at all the different superchargers the Whipple seemed like the best choice. Will keep everyone posted when I get the changes.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with that man

Old 11-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Reinhardt003
I would be at 12 PSI of boost.
With stock rods?

Old 11-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by GerRod
With stock rods?
All the engine internals are stock and JDM said that this would be OK for the 12 PSI. Just have to upgrade fuel pump, pulley, intake and what not. I might back it down and just do 10 PSI if it is gonna be a problem. I just want all the power I can get safely. I am searching around now for more info.
I thought I would be OK with the 12 PSI? I was told by JDM that was about all I could push safely on my stock block and internals with the setup I have now. If I went higher than I would have to upgrade. Anyone have some insight to this? I am looking to learn here and by no means am an expert on this.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Talking

You will never be the same! Keep us posted!

Old 11-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Don't get a Roush because of the warranty unless you're a dentist.
it's like pulling teeth to get them to honor it. See my thread " Roush go boom". I whish I had gone with the Whipple now.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:32 PM
The guy I bought my Roush from sold it to buy the whipple. Afterwards he said he wished he would of stayed with the Roush.

Since I bought my SC used I had no warranty, I have just at 30K on my truck with the SC installed and the truck already had 50K onit when it was installed and I have had no problems.

The Roush already comes with the better intake, bigger injectors and it is relativly cheap to buy a lower pulley to up the boost to around 9-12lbs. IMHO JDM is pushing the limits at 12lbs on our stock blocks to be used as a daily driver.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Huitt24
IMHO JDM is pushing the limits at 12lbs on our stock blocks to be used as a daily driver.
^^^I agree. I always heard 10 psi is about as far as you want to go with a stock block. There's a standard 10 psi upgrade that Whipple offers. JDM probably has that option as well. That's about as far as I would go.

Quick Reply: About to get BLOWN!!!!!