lightning swap complete, no power

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lightning swap complete, no power

loaded the tune, started her up checked for leaks, idled good reved up good, had like 18 of vacume on the boost gauge at idle so no vacume leakes. took for a raod test and it felt like i had done nothing at all,felt like it did before i started the blower install. i am seeing good boost, 2200 rpm i see 6-7 and 3k and above i see about 10 psi, but the engine doesnt sound right under load, the exaust sounds funny when i give it throttle, sounds great in nuetral. any ideas what it could be? think my tune is way off or something like that, i am stumped, nothing i can see wrong, it isnt throwing any codes, what do you guys think i should check? i am going to the dyno on tuesday mourning if it isnt something wrong with the tune i need to get it fixed before i hit the dyno, thanks in advance

Old 04-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't know what the issue is in your case (trans perhaps?) but you should DEFINITELY feel a power difference with the eaton installed especially at 10#. when i drive my blown Harley vs. my naturally aspirated f150 the difference in torque is like night and day. i would venture the tune is off but someone like MAD could probably give you a better idea of what the problem may be. congrats on completing the swap though

Last edited by zombiemachine; 04-27-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it's the tune.You have a very reputable tuner in Sal!!
Try calling Mike http://www.madenterprise.com/index.htm
He will figure out whats going on.

Phil

Old 04-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi BT;

Just thinkin' out loud .. how's the fueling, fuel pressure, etc. Knock sensors turned off, etc, TPS setting, ... yeah, you need some logging perhaps to diagnose this....

Good luck - I'm sure you'll get it worked out

Great job on the install.

cheers
bubba

Old 04-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just a thought... did you upgrade your fuel supply in some way? such as upgrade the pump? or did you go with the fmu or whatever that was suppose to be called...

Old 04-28-2007, 01:07 PM
zombiemachine , no problems with the tranny.

phil6608, already talked to Mike, it should be working

MGDfan, i will check TPS voltage, but i dont think that is the cause

Klitch, i have a 255 lph feul pump, that is not the problem.

the only thing i could really come up with is that it is running way to rich, like the tune is way off,but if it was it would throw a code right? so i am lost. i cant really think of anything else, but anything else you guys can think of?

Old 04-28-2007, 09:54 PM
WLF
Never mind I see you are using TR5's. I didn't like the look of TR5's but they should work fine.
Good luck.

Last edited by WLF; 04-29-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by bigtruck311
zombiemachine , no problems with the tranny.

phil6608, already talked to Mike, it should be working

MGDfan, i will check TPS voltage, but i dont think that is the cause

Klitch, i have a 255 lph feul pump, that is not the problem.

the only thing i could really come up with is that it is running way to rich, like the tune is way off,but if it was it would throw a code right? so i am lost. i cant really think of anything else, but anything else you guys can think of?
pull a couple of the plugs and check see if its running rich. sounds to me like its the tune. or the belt is slipping. what idlers are u running if any. what coolant for the charge air cooler. what thermostat are u running i hope atleast a 180 or lower. also id recomend an NGK iridium plug since your boosted

Old 04-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
pull a couple of the plugs and check see if its running rich. sounds to me like its the tune. or the belt is slipping. what idlers are u running if any. what coolant for the charge air cooler. what thermostat are u running i hope atleast a 180 or lower. also id recomend an NGK iridium plug since your boosted
i will pull a couple of plugs today and take a look, you think if i was runnning way to rich were it would be killing that much power it would throw a code or something, i dont think it is belt slippage, belt is on there good, and yes i am running a 180, i am running the gold stuff in the intercooler, i was told by mike that the NGK TR5 would be fine for my truck, i even double checked that with him. i will pull a couple plugs and get back here, hope i can figure this out it is frustrating.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:12 PM
i will pull a couple of plugs today and take a look, you think if i was runnning way to rich were it would be killing that much power it would throw a code or something, i dont think it is belt slippage, belt is on there good, and yes i am running a 180, i am running the gold stuff in the intercooler, i was told by mike that the NGK TR5 would be fine for my truck, i even double checked that with him. i will pull a couple plugs and get back here, hope i can figure this out it is frustrating.

what was the plug gap set to? around .04 or lower?

Old 04-29-2007, 01:15 PM
WLF
bigtruck311,
My post didn't come thru right. If your going to check the plugs anyway put in a set of TR6 gapped at .036. I bet your blowing the TR5's out.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
what was the plug gap set to? around .04 or lower?
gap is at .035, i pulled a few plugs and they still look brand new, so i dont think it is running way rich,

i did check the TPS sensor and the resistance is .465 closed and 1250 fully opened, i cant remember corectly what is the right, but is this good resistance? or do i need a new TPS? i reused my stock one. i am really stumped here, there has got to be something wrong, i just dont know how to find it

Old 04-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by WLF
bigtruck311,
My post didn't come thru right. If your going to check the plugs anyway put in a set of TR6 gapped at .036. I bet your blowing the TR5's out.
i dont know, maybe on the top end but it has to be something other than that because, it is like i didnt even put a supercharger on the engine it has the same amount of power threwout the RPM range not just at the top, i could see blowing out the TR5s maybe on the top end but not from idle on up. it has to be something else.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
gap is at .035, i pulled a few plugs and they still look brand new, so i dont think it is running way rich,

i did check the TPS sensor and the resistance is .465 closed and 1250 fully opened, i cant remember corectly what is the right, but is this good resistance? or do i need a new TPS? i reused my stock one. i am really stumped here, there has got to be something wrong, i just dont know how to find it

Hi BT - I think the TPS should be 0.995 volts closed. Do a search in the Lightnin' forums ... there's a bunch of threads that discuss this ..

Hang in there buddy - you'll figure it out - you got a lot of real smart & helpful folks here rooting for you....

BTW - It's not yer SlowMasters LOL! - just tryin' to cheer you up

Maybe a datalogged dyno session, with the results sent to Sal will do the trick ...

Cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-29-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Yup, it should be like .95-.99 closed
Yours is prob non adjustable like mine.I just drilled the brass bushings out of the holes for the screws and made it adjustable

Last edited by Kevin24; 04-29-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply: lightning swap complete, no power