lightning swap complete, no power

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well it wasnt the TPS, i was just measuring wrong, i was cheching the resistance and not voltage, checked the voltage it was .998 wich is good so i dont know what to check next, any ideas?

Old 04-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtruck311
well it wasnt the TPS, i was just measuring wrong, i was cheching the resistance and not voltage, checked the voltage it was .998 wich is good so i dont know what to check next, any ideas?

Long shot - fuel filter been changed recently?
I'm leaning (no pun intended) towards the tune now myself...

Old 04-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Long shot - fuel filter been changed recently?
I'm leaning (no pun intended) towards the tune now myself...
yep fuel filter is brand new, i just cant believe the tune can be so far off that i feel no change at all, well i will hit the dyno on teusday, hopefully i can find all the problems then. i was hoping to figure it out before than, but it has me stumped

Old 04-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Sure the intake manifold and gaskets are properly seated? I read what you wrote about vacuum, etc. But under load, with the gasket improperly placed, could a restriction be created?

2. Any possibility that something is clogging your exhaust?

3. Any chance that the crank-to-camshaft timing was disrupted? Valves & springs OK?

4. Air filter and intake path unobstructed?

5. Any chance that the transmission/torque converter is experiencing any problems?

Of course, these are just outside-the-box ramblings. But it seems that you've looked at the more obvious causes. I'm not anything approaching a qualified mechanic, just trying to help.

Good luck,

Lee

Old 04-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by bigtruck311
yep fuel filter is brand new, i just cant believe the tune can be so far off that i feel no change at all, well i will hit the dyno on teusday, hopefully i can find all the problems then. i was hoping to figure it out before than, but it has me stumped
I had a mail-order tune from a reputable tuner who will remain nameless...that was so rich, truck barely ran despite the tuner telling me "it's not the tune, this same tune is perfect on dozens of setups just like yours, you must have screwed up the install".

Sal dyno-tuned it at a NorCal dyno day and, lo and behold, it was the tune. But by this time my cats were shot...so I had them replaced and then got another dyno tune.

What I'm getting at is this: each truck is different, and many times a dyno tune/dyno session will reveal what the deal is. A canned tune may work for 90% of the people, but maybe not you.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:30 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the Vacuum source for the bypass valve. If it is just like the pre-blower power then the bypass may not be closing at full throttle. The vacuum source should be from the intake below the blower (between the blower and the engine.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So your getting full boost, but its like the brake is on or something? Very strange... Did you do anything to the tranny? Is there any way you could video you accelerating from inside the cab and post it on here?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by WLF
Check the Vacuum source for the bypass valve. If it is just like the pre-blower power then the bypass may not be closing at full throttle. The vacuum source should be from the intake below the blower (between the blower and the engine.

The boost bypass should be hooked to a vacuum source between the thottle body and blower so that it is only receiving vacuum and not boost pressure.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Huitt24
The boost bypass should be hooked to a vacuum source between the thottle body and blower so that it is only receiving vacuum and not boost pressure.
my bypass hooks in like that, i even pulled off the blower and adjusted the bypass valve so it couldnts stick(1/4 turn on the stop screw).

i am going to drop the gas tank today, and see if maybe the fuel pump is ubstracted or something along those lines, i am grasping for straws here, i am going to the dyno tommarrow i am hopeing it is something simple, that comes out in the datalogging process

Old 04-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by built54
So your getting full boost, but its like the brake is on or something? Very strange... Did you do anything to the tranny? Is there any way you could video you accelerating from inside the cab and post it on here?
not like the brakes are on, it like i never installed the blower, it feels exactly the same as it did stock, under light throttle and idle it sounds the same also under 1/4 or more it feels funny, the exaust note sounds bla bla bla, instead of vrooooommmmm, you know what i mean hard to explain

Old 04-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
sounds like it's missing, did your crank trigger get moved out of whack????

Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
sounds like it's missing, did your crank trigger get moved out of whack????
it shouldnt have, if it was missing it should throw a code right? thats my problem no codes, i need something to go on.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:53 PM
well i dropped the gas tank to see if maybe the fuel pump sliped and was touching the bottom, and starving for fuel, nope it was about half an inch from the bottom and in there tight, well tommarrow i go to the dyno, hopefully the dyno and some datalogging sheds some light on my problem i am totally stumped, it must be the tune, i just wish it were throwing a code of some kind so i knew it was running rich or lean so i would know it was the tune, it has me scared, this truck is my daily driver and i have to go back to work on friday, i dont want the truck to be down any longer. any thing else you guys can think of for me to check?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Boost + no power + odd engine note...sounds like excessive timing retard. I don't know what else would allow you to have boost but no power, and no codes.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
Boost + no power + odd engine note...sounds like excessive timing retard. I don't know what else would allow you to have boost but no power, and no codes.
this is a tuning issue correct? there is nothing i could have installed wrong to retard the timeing. it almost feels like a slight miss but it only feels that way at over 1/3 throttle were i can barely tell with all the engine noise and blower wine, well i geuse i will find out tommarrow when i get on the dyno, i just hope nothing breaks, i have bad feeling about going full throttle under load if something is wrong. anything more i can check before tommarrow mourning?

one more thing, the routing of the intercooler and heat exchanger lines is as follows corect, left line from intercooler goes to the resivior, bottom of resivior goes to the inlet of pump, outlet of pump goes to lower heat exchanger, upper heat exchanger goes to right intercooler line, right?

Last edited by bigtruck311; 04-30-2007 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply: lightning swap complete, no power