Paxtondyne? ( long )

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 03:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paxton

This project started quietly enough with WLF telling me that the Paxton Novi 2000 was a great centri, and it ran on the engine's serpentine belt. I looked around and found that the Novi 2000 puts out nearly double the cfm of a Powerdyne, and a bunch more than an ATI or Vortech. That sounded even better. But the tuner kits are for 99+ trucks.

chucks_bp suggested that it might be better to just mount it to a Powerdyne mounting plate, rather than use the Paxton kit with all of the kit hardware, much of which I didn't need. That sounded good.

A " never run " Novi 2000 head only showed up on ebay, and I won it. I already had an ATI belt tensioner from ebay which I had planned to use on my Powerdyne. A week or so later I am balancing this new thing on top of my Powerdyne to compare size, and oh chit....it's bigger than it looked in the picture! I know it will fit....somehow.

So, I fabricated a Powerdyne style mounting plate, pulley bosses, a secondary gusset with bracket which attaches to the cyl head, and other misc bracketry.I must have made twenty trips to the industrial hardware store, and a few to the speed shop. I saw Brown at my door a least three times a week for two weeks. I spoke to tech support at Paxton and ATI a few times, and many online vendors.

The only short cut I had was the intercooling. Other than a few bends and couplers, my discharge and intake piping was nearly the same. I stayed with the discharge piping going under the s/c and down to the cooler.

The intake is 4" diameter from mass air to s/c inlet, and the current set up may be just a mock up. It works pretty well though, at least the a/f's seem smooth on the wideband. I may fab an aluminum tube intake at some point.

The first run I hit nearly 12 psi, with a 8" lower, and a 3.75" upper. After a day of driving around, and with the belt streched and retightened, a solid 11 psi is where it's at with these pulley sizes. I was shooting for 8 - 10 psi, which would have worked out with a 4.25" upper, but I couldn't find one.
The lower pulley is a Moto Blue interchangable set, and 9" and 10" are availabel to make about 12 and 14 psi. From there smaller uppers would be need for more boost and more belt slip.

This project was more work than I bargained for, but I like the results. The Novi has plenty of boost potential. The power band is typical of a centri, but much smoother than the Powerdyne. I am seeing 10. 1 - 10.4 a/f's at wot, so there may a bit more power to be had with retuning. That's the next project.

Have Fun, Burns

Last edited by ONELOWF; 07-21-2006 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Title change for search function.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:42 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just can't imagine having the knowledge, the skillset, and the means to basically fab an entire supercharger system from th ground up.

Gotta hand it to you, amazing.

Hope you like it! Let's see some numbers!

Old 07-16-2006, 03:55 AM
Excellent reading and great results

I liked the part when you said;
This project was more work than I bargained for
Isn't it always

but I like the results
Makes it worth all the effort

Old 07-16-2006, 04:38 AM
SnowmaNick
Nice write up, looks great. Man, props for tackling this one.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Nice job,glad to see someone running the Novi, it is one hell of a blower. That was my second choice had I not found such a smok'n deal on my ati. Make sure and get us some numbers, my guess is at 11psi the novi will easily outgun the p1sc ati at the same boost level.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Congratulations man, nice work.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by LowFast
Nice job,glad to see someone running the Novi, it is one hell of a blower. That was my second choice had I not found such a smok'n deal on my ati. Make sure and get us some numbers, my guess is at 11psi the novi will easily outgun the p1sc ati at the same boost level.

Probably very similar to going from a P1-SC to a D1-SC. Terminal specs between the P1-SC and the Novi 2000 are not a whole lot different...mainly just the size of the impeller and its design. He'll really notice it in the 3500 rpm range where the helical impeller design really comes into play. As far as the boost vs. boost thing that will depend on a lot of factors...step up ratio being one. In comparison I think the P1-SC would come on sooner but after ~3400 rpms the Novi would walk away.

Where did you get the rubber elbows? I need to do some work on my intake setup myself...

Old 07-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Hella nice job

Looking at your idler spacer/bosses,are they thick enough to not cause any deflection under high loads?

Good stuff.

ANd Im still envious of your 8 rib setup .When I get some time,that will be my next mod

Old 07-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Where did you get the rubber elbows? I need to do some work on my intake setup myself...
I get my stuff from:

http://store.airflo.com/rubber-hoses---clamps.html

Not sure how cheap they are compared to others tho.They also have metal tubing and elbows.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by ganiman
Hella nice job

Looking at your idler spacer/bosses,are they thick enough to not cause any deflection under high loads?

Good stuff.

ANd Im still envious of your 8 rib setup .When I get some time,that will be my next mod
ganiman - good eye. The spacers are 1 1/8", and I agree that they may be a little skinny. I have 1 1/2" pieces cut a bit long which I will cut to length when I am convinced that the belt is tracking straight. But they seem fine.

james - I got the rubber hoses at www.intakehoses.com

Old 07-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Congrats on your new setup. You will see some nice gains once you get it dialed in. I know of a shop on the east coast who recently switched from ATI to Paxton head units and are constantly seeing more torque and power using the Novi 2000. Best thing is that they use the Novi for everything from thier stock block cars all the way up to 400+ cube cars running low 9's. You will find that the Paxton is quieter, runs cooler and takes less power to turn then the ATI stuff. Keep us posted on how the tuning goes.

TG

Old 07-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Of course, there is a down side to everything. I just filled up with gas this monning, and it looks like I'm getting 10 mpg.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I've been driving it like I stole it.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Onelow, where is the blower discharge? Is it straight down past the driver side header?

Old 07-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
Onelow, where is the blower discharge? Is it straight down past the driver side header?
The discharge elbows forward and runs over the upper control arm, 90's down inside the front corner of the wheel well, and 90's under the frame to the intercooler.
It is better than it sounds, and only 45* more bends than my Powerdyne which ran under the degas hose, and snaked around the steering box to reach the intercooler.
The only clearance issue is with the inner liner bulging a bit and rubbing the tire slightly, just a utility knive job I haven't gotten to yet.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:45 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ONELOWF,
Having been watching this from the beginning I know how much fabrication went into it. You did a great job and it really looks as good as it runs. As you know I just had another failure of my Powerdyne. I have to make up my mind about what to do next but the Novi 2000 is very attractive to me… especially since I know this great guy with a template of the mounting bracket that will work perfectly with my set-up

Quick Reply: Paxtondyne? ( long )