2000 5.4 wanting power

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he he...thats what I get for posting in the am...oops

So your building your setup to run what times,8.9 in the 1/4??

Frank

Old 03-08-2005, 10:48 AM
I hope to get in the low 13s or high 12s. However, long term, I plan to put a MonsterBox trans. in next. Then, go back and put a built engine in with a Whipple 3.3 twinscrew adapter kit and go for low 11s or high 10s.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:27 AM
So basically your shooting for the times that Green_Fox(yeah,that guy who started this thread) is going for.I just dont understand why a lightning setup is what he needs to run those times.Can a procharger or turbo not get an f150 into the upper 12's?.I'm just wondering why you are saying your setup is the best way to go in order to run 12.7 in the 1/4.I think an important consideration is the warranty that comes w/ a kit.I know ati has a 3 year on their kits.Skid and Crash's setup im sure covers "ALL" parts I just dont know how long for.I havent seen anyone offering a warranty on all the parts required for a lightning s/c swap,I may be wrong tho.

Caveat emptor.

Frank

I got my money on that there turbo truck..vs the 3.3

Last edited by ganiman; 03-08-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:51 AM
ganiman,

I believe just about any roots, twinscrew, centrifugal or turbo system will get him where he wants to go or where anyone wants to go. But, Green_Fox asked our input and already stated he was looking into the Whipple. I like the advantages and options of the lightning assembly, therefore I conveyed that to him, JUST LIKE others conveyed their preference for other systems.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Note to Green_Fox,

Sorry if your thread gets closed are if it continues to get "hijacked". As I stated previously, this is not an uncommon occurrence in this section. This thread was about YOU wanting input on forced induction options. Some have tried to provide that, while others attempt personal attacks ........ as usual.

However, some good methods to do research on forced induction systems include:

1. This sites search function. It is the best search function of any site out there.
2. www.madenterprise.com "Madferraristi" can help you decide and get the parts you want and need.
3. www.nloc.net Access a lenghty detailed list of 1/4th and 1/8th mile E.T.s and the mods that made them.
4. www.nhtoc.com You can find detailed lists of 1/4 mile E.T.s and the mods that made, of F150s crewcabs.
Good luck!

Old 03-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
comparing supercrews and supercabs to a lightning is stupid.

a comparison to the h/d truck makes alot more sense

http://www.nhtoc.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=238

the fastest truck is jlps and it runs 11.6. look at the list and i think you will find that us sheep from the flock are in the hunt.

Marks 12.6 would place him 13th on the list, considering the low boost he is running, stock heads and cams and bottom end the fact that this is everyday transportation, not bad.

dont understand why crash and mark dont market this 12.6 run better?

Old 03-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I think everyone is or can be "in the hunt" regardless of system.
.......and your definitely not apart of any herd or flock! haha!

But, once you start installing built engines and drivetrains in F150s, Lightnings and Harleys, in the end, the only difference is the body configuration and the forced induction system used.

I am always interested in seeing the potential of go fast parts in our F150s (especially before I pay a lot of money for them). Thats why I look forward to JDMs 3.3 twinscrew lightning adapter kit and PSPs single turbo lightning adapter kit performance. Either way, any F150 owner that performed or is considering the lightnng intercooled supercharger assembly swap, wins. Let the vendors spend their time, money and effort and prove their mods. The burden of proof is on the vendors, not us as consumers.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:55 PM
I dont think this thread will be closed if we get back on track.Its better to post the benefits of the systems we bought.
When I bought my procharger almost 3.5 yrs ago,the only viable options were the ati,or the magna.I went w/ ati cuz

1.You cant beat the efficiency of air-air cooling for a daily driver.Water to air setups are like getting your cooling from a middleman,as opposed to the wholesaler.

2. I didnt have to pop a hole in the oil pan.Im sure you dont have to do that on the lightning setup,but the other s/c that were out you did.

3. You can pull the belt and your truck will still drive around town fine.I didnt know how important this was until after 2 yrs I had to send my head unit back for repair(warranty rules).All I had to do was put my k&n fipk intake back on and whammo,I still have my daily driver.Im running it right now again until I get my new lower valance and i/cooler installed.Try this w/ a roots.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...5457&anum=4774

4.Oh yeah,did I mention the 3 year warranty?
With all that,I think anyone who puts an ati on their f150 wins... ....hehe.this is fun

frank

Last edited by ganiman; 03-08-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Yeah, you are one of the few that actually understands!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!! Yeah......lets discuss/debate the systems only, no personal attacks.....then we all win......

1. Actually, water to air intercooling is more effective than air to air according to research I found on the net. However, you do have to deal with another fluid and a pump. I do not think an air to air needs a pump?

2. Of course no tapping the oil pan with a roots or twinscrew, infact, you have less oiling maintenance with a roots or twinscrew than with any other form of forced induction.

3. Actually, with the lightning roots assembly, you can remove the supercharger belt and still drive it around (has two belt system).

4. Who needs to pay new "kit" price to get a warranty, when the less expensive lightning oem system is made from the most engineered, durable and proven parts.....oem factory parts.

5. Who wants to be limited by only boost increases, when the lightning system allows you to choose from a roots, twinscrew, centrifugal or turbo AND increase boost for each?

6. Do you want a highly proven system or a less proven system?
The lightning system has been used in more oem set-ups than any other system.

7. Do you want a system used by the fastest F150 Lightning in the World or the Fastest supercrew.......in the World! That is the lightning system.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:19 PM
I see we both have alotta time on our hands today..im bored too

.but....
I definitley disagree w/ water to air being more efficient than air-air.Water to air setups would excell in marine applications because theavailable water is usually below ambient temps.Not so when your recycling the water.Its like adding an extra cooling loop,air cooling water that is cooling air.Driving around town,theres no way that the recycled water is @ ambient temps until speeds pick up,even then.Air-air get their cooling from an endless supply of ambient air.

Try driving your truck around w/ a roots blower that you sent back for repairs.Thats what I meant about the no belt thing.

And if your saying that your setup wont breakdown cuz its oem,
....thats just funny...ALL machinery gets worn and eventually needs repair/replacing.Thats 1 thing oem will never overcome.

As far as upgrading,I can easily swap head units to an f1 if I needed or wanted to.And Im pretty sure it would be cheaper than upgrading a roots,not sure tho.

And how is running the same setup that the fastest lightning in the world gonna help anyone when their goal is high 12's- low 13's.Thats like saying my big brother can beat up your big brother.And if thats the case,well, heres my big bros.
http://www.procharger.com/racing-news/04update-sep.html

Frank

Old 03-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by iron horse

6. Do you want a highly proven system or a less proven system?
The lightning system has been used in more oem set-ups than any other system.
I think I know what you meant by this statement, but I would have to disagree with the way you stated it.

I am sure a turbo has been used on more oem setups than any other forced induction system many times over. From power stroke diesels, dodge diesels, chevy diesels, turbo coups, grand nationals, freightliners, macks, peterbuilts, white, gmc, kenworth, volkswagens, and many other import cars that I can't think of right now.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the OEM lightning compressor isn't proven or reliable, because if it wasn't I don't think Ford would use it as much as they have. I am just saying that a properly set up turbo is as much reliable or even more reliable that the Lightning compressor. Turbos have been used on literally MILLIONS of vehicles in the harshest of conditions world wide, and seem to be able to go 100K, 200K, even 300K or more miles with no problems on most applications.

Marlon

Old 03-08-2005, 03:38 PM
absolutely true....

and further, air to air is superior to air-water intercooling as the temperature of your inlet air will only be able to get down to the temp of the water in the intercooler. therefore if the temp of your water is over 100, then your inlet air is never going to be any lower. on the contrary i think inlet temps of 80 or 90 degrees have been recorded with the 3 core procharger intercooler.

i myself checked mine one day with a predator and the outside temp was in the 50's and my IAT was 68.

good thread, lots to think about here.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:51 PM
.....this is good stuff. It reminds me of how this section use to be......when it was entertaining and a technical journal all in one. We use to help each other out, no matter what system we prefered and we debated the advantages and weaknesses of various mechanical devices that make our trucks go faster.

.......it may have been water injection that I read about. I was shocked to read that, either water injection or water to air intercooling supposely reduced larger quantities of temps, than air to air. Although, centrifugals do not need temps dropped as much as roots or twinscrews.

Have you heard from Flatsman lately? I though he was going to be our best chance to see a centrifugal F150 go head to head with the best lightnings. I have not read anything on his project in a long while.

Yeah, I meant to say, on gasoline engine vehicles as far as use. Its odd, but in one of my businesses that I just started, I am actually having to deal with (purchase) baseload electrical power generation units. Some of these units use a diesel engine with a Turbo option! haha! .......as far as turbo diesels, they can move! Infact, a trend has started in my area. Some take a Ford or Dodge turbo diesel and lower it, put in a chip and exhaust and proceed to blow past other trucks!

I like turbos a lot. I wish there was a system developed for our F150s that allowed for the bolt on upgrade of twin turbos and the protection of the piping.

There was a guy on here a while back named "Zturbo". He has his own little website. He makes turbo systems from scratch. He was making one for his F150 a while back. I do not know what happened with it. I talked to him, when I considered a turbo kit. He told me for what I was trying to accomplish (engine and forced induction upgrade), I would be better off with the lightning set-up. He told me that the most expensive part of a turbo kit, is the fabrication of the exhaust manifold(s).

Old 03-08-2005, 04:06 PM
I think most of the time you can see lower air charge temps with an effecient air to air intercooler, but it will vary greatly with the ambient temps. I think you will see a more CONSISTENT charge temps with a water to air intercooler, although it may be consistently 100 degrees.

Water injection will remove a LOT of heat from the intake charge. But with a very good intercooler, you get lower charge temps so there is less heat to be taken out, meaning less of an inprovement.

And just for the record, I built my own turbo kit from scratch on my truck

Marlon

Old 03-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
HI!... I'm currently building my own turbo set-up for my 5.4, F-150, and I can tell you that the most expensive part is the TURBO it'self. Over $1600(U.S) just for the turbo head unit. Everything else is peanuts.

Quick Reply: 2000 5.4 wanting power