F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Superchargers & Turbochargers (https://www.f150online.com/forums/superchargers-turbochargers-77/)
-   -   2000 5.4 wanting power (https://www.f150online.com/forums/superchargers-turbochargers/186571-2000-5-4-wanting-power.html)

Green_Fox 02-18-2005 09:27 PM

2000 5.4 wanting power

Hey guys, hope ya can help me alittle on this one. I have a 2000 Scab and Im gonna strip it and pull out the motor at the end of this summer. Im gonna rebuild it pertty strong and stengthen the drivetrain. Heres what im gonna be doing. Im gonna strip all the tv,dvd,sub stuff outta the truck and get rid of those huge heavy 20in wheels and get some lightweight ones. Im gonna get a nice aggressive suspension setup also. The truck has the 5.4L 330ci V8 and im gonna add: mac headers, forced induction, ect...

The truck as is now runs a 15.6 on the 1/4 and when im done I want it in the range of 12.7 on the 1/4.

Now my question is what kind of induction system should I look at? Lets say my budget is 5k on a induction sys. What would ya'll recommend? Im kinda lookin at the Whipple

Thanks for any info!

iron horse 02-18-2005 11:12 PM

For that cool of a truck, there is only one option at that price level for the system alone........

mount the Lightning oem supercharger manifold/intercooler/pulleys/brackets, on top of your rebuilt 5.4, AND then get the Whipple 3.3 twinscrew lightning replacement blower . It is the largest capacity forced induction system made for our Fords, ever. You need to talk to Mike D. of www.madenterprise.com before you decide on anything.

If you have a little less, mount the same Lightning oem supercharger manifold/intercooler setup and get the smaller Whipple 2.3 or Kenne Bell 2.3 replacement blower (fastest lightning uses this set up)

If you have 8-10 K to spend on the system alone, I would still do the lightning oem manifold/intercooler and monster whipple 3.3 twinscrew system and spend the rest eleswhere, but if you had 8-10 k to spend and wanted to experiement, you could now afford a twin turbo system. Either way, for the ultimate set up, you will need twins.......intercooled twin screws or intercooled twin turbos. Mike of madenterprise can help you decide what is best for you. Good luck!

raider 02-18-2005 11:32 PM

there are tons of options on what to do..you can Procharge it or do a L conversion or a turbo..do your research on all the setups...I have the Procharger and it pulls hard..not as hard as a L on take off but it keeps climbing till you shut it down..it takes money to go fast so look for the best setup for your budget..and dont skimp on things cuz you will be sorry later

just my 2 cents

Neal 02-19-2005 12:33 AM

HI!... Plain and simple............ TURBO IT!!!!!!:rocker:

Green_Fox 02-19-2005 01:52 PM

cool thx guys.

I like the idea you gave iron horse about "Lightning oem supercharger manifold/intercooler/pulleys/brackets, on top of your rebuilt 5.4, AND then get the Whipple 3.3 twinscrew" I am going to look into that for sure :thumbsup:

indynotch50 03-03-2005 06:50 PM

Crash,
I"m curios, how would the turbo fair on a stock motor. Of course you cannot turn the wick up, but what about reliability. As a ball park figure. A small kit on a stock motor, what kind of price are we talking? Lightning kits are too common, no offense to all those who have of course, I just like the use of turbos

Thanks,
Chris

BullittMcQueen 03-03-2005 09:31 PM

for your budget, you should go with the turbo kit. you can have it completely for less than 5k. the lightning swap and then whipple conversion that iron horse was talking about will cost a LOT more than that and in the end you probably wont make as much power with the whipple as you would with the turbo. forget twin turbos. you dont need em. one is plenty.

iron horse 03-04-2005 10:51 AM

A single turbo against the intercooled whipple 3.3 twinscrew? It will be no contest.......the monster Whipple 3.3 twinscrew will crush the single turbo. However, we are all just speculating......why? The centrifugals and single turbo advocates will always talk about effeciency.........roots and twinscrew advocates will always talk about ACTUAL 1/8 and 1/4 mile e.ts of supercharged TRUCKS.

What has not occurred yet, is an actual comparison! haha! However, a good comparison should occur this summer, when the monster Whipple 3.3 twinscrew adapter kit, Whipple 2.3 adapter kit, KenneBell 2.3 adapter kit and modified Eaton M112 roots adapter kit for the lightning assembly, race against the centrifugal adapter kit and single turbo adapter systems for the lightning assembly, in similar trucks with similar systems. This summer's competition should benefit us as F150 owners.

The lightning supercharger assembly usage in the F150 is not common at all, infact it is very unique at this point.

I believe in the end, it will be proven that, the top dogs are the Whipple 3.3 twinscrew and the Twin Turbo set up. Soon we should have some actual results to discuss! haha!

raider 03-04-2005 11:50 AM

well looks like your bench racing again Iron Horse..wait till the proven #'s are out before post up whats better

iron horse 03-04-2005 01:27 PM

As of this date, is any 97-04 F150s running as fast or faster than 9.880 sec. in the 1/4 mile with a centrifugal or single turbo? .......anybody? .....NOPE.

Infact, the only 9 second 1.4 run in the 97-04 F150 bodystyle is a 2001 Lightning with a 2.3 TWINSCREW adapter kit for the lightning oem intercooled supercharger assembly.

As well as, as of this date, the only known existing single turbo late model truck times that I am aware are from a Chevy! .....and his single turbo 1/4 miles time(s) are SLOWER than the Lightnings 2.3 Twinscrew times including the 2.3 Twinscrews sub 9 second 1/4 mile runs.

You all need to understand my perspective.........

A 97-04 F150 is the truck I am interested in, since that is what I have. Even if I never go all out in performance mods for my truck, I would like to see my type of truck have the ability to compete with and or beat the fastest trucks. Its kind of like cheering the "home team" on.

I am not interested in what could be, might be, or excuses for the 97-04 F150 not being able to consistently compete with or beat the fastest trucks in the world (Lightning).

If someone proved that a Sears leafblower adapter kit would have us running as fast as the Lightnings (taking into consideration body type and other mods), I would back it 100%.
After 3 years on these forums, I have not seen that occur.

The only consistent body of data that shows the results and effects of forced induction systems for our trucks is the Lightning threads/sites. The system used on the Lightning is also continually being improved and proved with the time, money and effort of full-time truck tuners. Since this system can be used in our trucks as well, it is only logical that I am drawn to it. The fact that adapter kits have been and continue to be developed for the lightning system, ranging from improved roots, twinscrews, a centrifugal and a turbo, only make the lightning system more appealing. Infact, I hope Madenterprise, someday develops an improved version of the Lightning lower/upper manifold for production. I look forward to the results of JDMs Whipple 3.3 Twinscrew adapter kit vs. PSPs single Turbo adapter kit. I think regardless of the outcome, more bolt on options is always better...........for us.

.........plus this section was getting boring. :D

Jordan not Mike 03-04-2005 02:20 PM

9 second trucks are hardly streetable. And none of this is helping the original poster out. L's that run with Parish's Chevy are not too streetable either, if what we read about Parish's truck is true - street tires, daily drivability. But that guy has a lot of time in his truck - it shows. 4WD also helps those 60-fot times...

I THINK that Crash's turbo setup is pretty killer- there's lots folks out there with it and the setup is being perfected by them as we speak. All are happy. AND he's a supporting vendor on this site. He puts his money where his mouth is, and folks are stoked. I sure am, he helped me tremendously with my ATI.

Let's hear from some twin-turbo F150 owners...anyone? Hello? Not around here at any rate.

If the original poster wanted a race truck, he'd have said so. He's interested in a mid-12 second (12.7) street truck.

Since he's going to remove a lot of weight, the easy solution is any number of complete kits out there. With the right tuning and gears, he should be right there. Next easiest would be a Lightning blower, since you need to peice it together - it all doesn't come in one kit from one company, though Mad's know-how with his stuff makes this route relatively easy as well. Plus, Mad is also a supporting vendor. That also says something - why not support the folks who are the backbone of this site?

Whipple with various adapters and what-not sounds like a PITA to me. Obviously it can be done, but at this point it doesn't seem like he can just call one place to get all he needs.

A centrifugal, KenneBell or turbo kit will get him to where he wants to be. I don't think an overdriven M90 Magna is a good choice. And he can one-stop-shop these kits. An L blower will also get him there, and that will be a two-stop shop (with Mad's expertise plus buy the blower from E-Bay or something).

Bench racing = :devil:
But don't laugh too hard, Iron Horse will one day have his setup together. And I'm sure he'll be happy with it, Just as the rest of us are happy with whatever setups we've got.

Dude, Whipple bypassed the older F150s entirely. Promises for years. They're already working on kits for the new trucks and Mustangs, in addition to countless other cars. I'd rather spend my money at a company that supports what I've got, so I don't have to piece things together - I'm no fabricator, and have no desire to become one. :thumbsup:

iron horse 03-04-2005 03:39 PM

Actually, My truck still currently has a supercharger on it. I have ran up to 11-12 psi of boost of tire burning roots power and I have used the Allen roots for a longer period of time or for more miles (have used a intercooled roots supercharger for over two years and 65,000 miles on the same truck) than some that are posting right now in this forum.

Yes, I have dragged out my lightning supercharger install. But, its not because it would have been hard to put my "kit" together.

Infact, one call to Madenterprise, one call to a Ford Dealership and one email to the ebay vendor "Monkeybiscut" and I could have a complete "kit".

However, I am doing a Lightning ENGINE AND lightning oem intercooled supercharger ASSEMBLY AND torque CONVERTER install for the cost of a used supercharger kit ONLY. I have had other priorities as well as, the Allen roots and my 4.6 are still running very strong.........therefore the delay. As well as, since I am a cheap basta*d, I would never pay new "kit" cost regardless of how much money I had! haha!

What many do not realize is that, NO "kit" is a simple bolt on. No matter what psi you run, with ALL the "kits", you have to at least remove the entire gas tank to change the fuel pump AND make modifications under the hood. ...and that is just the basics.

What is a "kit"........but a collection of parts. Some of these parts come from different sources and manufacturers.

If you go above "stock" boost levels (and most do) with these "kits", you MUST now change/add even more parts........even though you installed a "kit". But, wait, you now want even more power and or boost, so now you have to find more sources for "kit", engine and drivetrain mods, even though you may have bought a "kit".

.....and what about the existing "kits" that are out there.......how many of them have YEARS of easily accessable F150 racing data, F150 R&D improvements and is used on the fastest 97-04 F150 bodystyle? NONE of the "kits"...........but the lightning oem supercharger assembly does.

.....and which of these "kits" allow you to swap head units for an oem Eaton M-112 roots to a ported Eaton M-112 roots, to a Magnum Powers Roots to a Kenned Bell 2.3 twinscrew right now and will soon allow a swap to a centrifugal to a turbo to a Whipple 2.3 twinscrew to a Whipple 3.3 twinscrew???? NONE of "kits" allow for this kind of versatility in blower type. None of them. Only the lightning oem supercharger assembly does this.

As far as supporting vendors, I am no sheep, and will "support" whomever supports me, therefore, in consideration of his considerable experience, expertise and proven performance, I feel very confident in www.Madenterprise.com. He not only developed the lightning "kit" for us, he has designed and made/machined/fabricated parts for us and other "kits".

I like all "kits". As I have said before, I almost bought a used Powerdyne and ended up buying a used Allen roots kit. If you have very little money and want immediate boost, I think a used "kit" is a great value. If you have the money, no time, want a kit within several months or less, and want a "kit" warranty, then a new "kit" may be the best for you. But, if you want more than that or you are planning long term "power" goals, I think there are other options..........if you have a 5.4 or plan on getting one.

Green_Fox asked our input and gave the criteria of his goals. In my opinion, for what he is looking for, the lightning intercooled supercharger assembly would meet his current and future needs. I do not think that is the only system that could meet his needs, I just think it is the best system for his needs. He may conclude otherwise. Its not mine or your choice, its his.