Crossovers, better at the amp, or in the door?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 07:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Crossovers, better at the amp, or in the door?

I just bought a set of Infinity "reference series" 605cs 6.5 components, and I'm wondering where's the best place to put the crossovers?? Would it make a difference if they were mounted close to the amp? Just trying to get some ideas and suggestions before I start the install next week. (The truck is on a transport to another state) I also finally broke down and bought a 4 ga. amp install kit with a distribution block for two amps. I'm so overdue for adequate wiring!!,,,,98

Old 05-01-2002, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the...

Door..!

------------------

Old 05-01-2002, 08:20 PM
Thumbs up

Short and to the point, I like that. Thanks Mega!!,,,,98

Old 05-01-2002, 08:42 PM
NP...

New ID and Sig Test

Sorry to be a post *****

Old 05-01-2002, 08:50 PM
In/ON the door is asking for problems with the potential of water getting in the doors (through the windows opening) Or on the crossovers if they are mounted ON the doors if it is raining out and you open the door and get water on them. At or near the amp is much better in my opinion, less chance of kicking, bumping or getting moisture on them.

Old 05-01-2002, 09:06 PM
I was thinking of Mounting them to the inside of the door panel somewhere, if I can find some room. That way they would be out of the water danger at least. There are plenty of places to run the wires through to the inside of the door. Of course that would make the door panels a pain to take off, too. What a dilemma, a nice one to have, but a dilemma just the same,,,,,98

Old 05-02-2002, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't mount the in the DOORS...........as stated above....may be damaged by water, also keep in mind that you slam your door shut every time, you will definately shorten the life of the crossovers by doing so, may be 1yr........may be 6yrs nobody knows. If they were "High End" components you would want them inside the cab so you could "tune" them with your system.

Old 05-02-2002, 10:21 AM
Everyone

Is correct, in the door would not be a good Idea. From Rain to the bang of the door closing could damage it. However I (Personally) would rather keep the unit closer to the speakers in the Kick panel rather than in the Read by the Amps.

This would require running ONE line per side to the front and then you can spilt it to the components and have a Shorter run to them leaving LESS chance for the cable runs to pick up interference. (Engine noise feed back)

Old 05-02-2002, 12:32 PM
Exclamation

They aren't ajustable, but they do have a minus 3dB hookup for the tweeters. That would be the only concern for "tuning", really. Hmmm, I'm thinking about on the floor under the carpet, up near the lower firewall. There's not much room on the drivers side kick panel, with the parking brake and all that junk in the way. As long as they don't overheat, and they don't have a whole lot of vents anyway. I'll take some pics when I decide where to mount them. I was remembering how much of a pain it was to run the speaker wires through those cramped rubber door to body boots. That's why I was thinking in the door panel. lots of factors to consider, sigh.,,,,98

Old 05-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Thumbs up

Well, they're in, and they sound incredible!! I put the crossovers in the door on the inside of the outer door panel. Double sided 3M tape worked very well for that I made some three sided water shields and put those on above the crossovers, to keep the water off. I'm not that worried about the shock value hurting them, the majority of the shock would be close to the latch area, IMO. Thanks for the advice guys!!,,,,98

Old 05-09-2002, 10:02 PM
So where are the Pics..?

Old 05-09-2002, 10:33 PM
Thumbs up

Right here! According to UPS the sub amp should come tomorrow, WOOHOO!! lol! I can't imagine how much better this is going to sound than it already does. The back speakers will finally be audible for a change, hehe.,,,,98

http://www.f150world.com/showownerpi...s=1&album=6773
http://www.f150world.com/showownerpi...s=1&album=6773

Old 05-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Looks Good..!

Congrats..!

Old 05-18-2002, 09:34 PM
Since the kick panels were mentioned as a good area to mount the crossovers in, I looked at mine to see what was there. There are a couple of bunches of electrical wires under the driver side panel, would that cause interference with the crossovers?
There looks like enough room to mount them there, it's just the wires that have me thinking twice.

Old 05-18-2002, 10:20 PM
I mounted mine to the inside of the door right behind the woofers. Used double sided tape, and pushed on them just hard enough to not break the crossover case. Twisted like hell to try and break them loose and they wouldn't budge. I also made some water shields to mount over them to keep any stray water off of them. Good luck!,,,,98

Quick Reply: Crossovers, better at the amp, or in the door?