Component Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Component Setup

Where is the best place to mount the passive crossovers for the components in the door? The reason I am asking is because I have the factory amp I am leaving in the truck so the crossovers will be after the amp. Actually, where is the amp located?
All info is appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 08-07-2001, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't know...

The 99s had external amp.
I mounted my xovers on the side impact beam

Old 08-07-2001, 11:40 AM
Question

Did the 99's not come with an external amp? I was told from a local roadshop that my truck did, but they could be wrong. How do I find out?
Thanks

Old 08-07-2001, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Local shop

some of the 98s DID come with an external amp, I have yet to see a 99 or newer that has one.
Just pull it and put what you like in htere it's piece -o- cake

Old 08-08-2001, 03:04 AM
I put my component crossovers where the rear speakers were. The holes are fairly deep and both xo's fit on one side, leaving the other side available for my alarms.

Old 09-04-2001, 01:51 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm about to install a component set in my doors. First question, is there a kit that will let you mount the two speakers in the factory 5x7 location, so that it basically amounts to an expensive coax? If there is, do you have to go with a 5.25" size or will a 6" or 6.5" work? Second, do you have to use the included crossovers if you have a dedicated amp and you plan to run them full-range? And are the crossovers active? If so, where do you pick up power for them in the door? I know that's a lot of questions, but I've never used anything but coax and triax speakers. Thanks for the assistance.

Old 09-04-2001, 06:03 PM
I think most components come with a passive crossover and do not require power. The question I am wondering is why you would run full range to components? The purpose for components is to split the mid from the highs for better sound quality. I am not critisizing, just asking?
Thanks

Old 09-05-2001, 02:18 AM
I mounted my x-overs behind the kickpanels for now. will probably move them later.

fodman3 - a 6 or 6.5 will work, but will require some mods to fit. there are plates availble for 5.25s. The plates I used were supposed to fit both, but no way a 6.5 would fit w/o modifying (cutting) on the door. depth is also a concern for a 6.5 As far as the x-overs, they are passive meaning they take a speaker level input and split it high/low. An active x-over is mounted b4 the amps.

Old 09-05-2001, 08:57 AM
What mods are required to fit 6.5 in the doors? I am planning on installing some next week. If depth is a problem, what do I do to fix it?
Thank You!

Old 09-05-2001, 04:48 PM
There is actually plenty of depth, all the way to the outer door skin. But if your speaker magnets are big, you will probably want to cut a bit towards the front of the door. The track that the window slides in does overlap the original hole by just a hair. You can see in the picture below where I cut the hole for my Infinity mid. The back end of the Kappa Perfect is pretty big, I'd guess that since they fit, almost any 6.5" will fit.

Old 09-05-2001, 04:58 PM
Hey everyone,
Thanks for the comments. I don't know what I was really thinking about; I knew that you had to use the x-over to split to the mid- and tweeters. I just had a brainfart. I guess what I was meaning was, if I want to mount the tweeters alongside the mids in the doors, is this possible with a kit?. I'm not sure I want to cut holes in the door panels to mount the tweeters. Are there surface mount tweeters that could be taped/velcro-ed on instead of cutting panels, say on the A-pillar or on the outside of the door panel? I plan on dedicating a 2x25W Sony amp to the components, and having a 2x100W Clarion amp push a set of subs in the back. The trouble is, my Pioneer HU only has one set of preamps. Should I just split my one preamp to 2 amps and lose my F/R control, or should I send a front-channel speaker-level signal to the amp for the components? I really don't like doing that, but I may have to. What does everybody think? I appreciate it again.

Old 09-06-2001, 05:39 AM
Most component setups are designed for surface and flush mounting of the tweeter. You would still need to have a small hole to run the tweeters wire thru unless you don't mind having a bit of wire show.

As for splitting the signal, consider a 2 way crossover to split the signal. preferably one with a sub level control.

Old 09-06-2001, 02:10 PM
ChuckM,
I thought of another question/alternative. How would a component set sound just being driven by the HU's power? The Pioneer I have is rated at around 22-25W RMS per channel, I think. That may be peak. The Sony amp I have is a 2x25W RMS. Would the sound be drastically different? I'm just still thinking in terms of simplicity of installation. I of course would rather "amp" them. Please let me know your opinion on this idea, if you would. Thanks again.

Old 09-06-2001, 05:02 PM
ChuckM,
I thought of another question/alternative. How would a component set sound just being driven by the HU's power? The Pioneer I have is rated at around 22-25W RMS per channel, I think. That may be peak. The Sony amp I have is a 2x25W RMS. Would the sound be drastically different? I'm just still thinking in terms of simplicity of installation. I of course would rather "amp" them. Please let me know your opinion on this idea, if you would. Thanks again.

Old 09-07-2001, 02:43 AM
IMO you are better to use the sony. I say this because the amp built into the pioneer deck does not have the capacitance that a seperate amp does. even though the sony is rated for only 25 more than likely the amp can produce a little more than that while the pioneer is at the top of its ouput. plus by using the x-over between the amps, the sony won't be working to produce the sub freqs and your componet set will play louder and cleaner.

Using the HU power is simpler, but if you already have the amp, a few more bucks is worth the effort.

Quick Reply: Component Setup