where to get/ how to fiberglass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to get/ how to fiberglass?

well just like the title states where do i pick up supplies to do some fiber glass work for subwoofer box. Also how thick does it need to be?

thanks

Daniel

Old 02-22-2008, 04:05 PM
There are some numerous places to pick up what you need. Auto body supply stores, hardware stores, boat repair stores, home improvement stores....the list goes on. My advice (and everybody else who does a lot of fiberglassin) is to stay away from Bondo brand. It works, but it is a PITA to work with. I have been using Poly-Glass (from a local boat supply store) resin and Evercoat body filler. Evercoat Rage Gold is about the best, but be prepared to pay for it.

Thickness depends on what subs you are using. For your average 10's or 12's, 4-6 layers will be plenty. I personally would go to the thicker side of that, maybe into 8 layers. It also depends on how much of the box is actually 'glass. If its a wide, flat spot that you wanna glass, you gotta go a bit thicker...fiberglass gets its strength in curves and odd shapes.

Feel free to ask anything else if you need to.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by Crewwzin
There are some numerous places to pick up what you need. Auto body supply stores, hardware stores, boat repair stores, home improvement stores....the list goes on. My advice (and everybody else who does a lot of fiberglassin) is to stay away from Bondo brand. It works, but it is a PITA to work with. I have been using Poly-Glass (from a local boat supply store) resin and Evercoat body filler. Evercoat Rage Gold is about the best, but be prepared to pay for it.

Thickness depends on what subs you are using. For your average 10's or 12's, 4-6 layers will be plenty. I personally would go to the thicker side of that, maybe into 8 layers. It also depends on how much of the box is actually 'glass. If its a wide, flat spot that you wanna glass, you gotta go a bit thicker...fiberglass gets its strength in curves and odd shapes.

Feel free to ask anything else if you need to.
Pretty much echo exactly what he said. But I use duraglas over my fiberglass, sand just after it setup but before it hardens, then Rage/Rage Gold (much easier to sand).

8 layers for any sub it takes abt 2-3 hours with dry time. And strong as hell.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH MEKP AND HOW MUCH YOU USE!!!

P.S. watch my thread... You may learn something..

Last edited by Low_e_Red; 02-23-2008 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:56 AM
i do 7 layers

i lucked out about 2 years ago i got about 30lbs of some very thick fiberglass from a guy on ftw, still have pleanty to make my console and only need at most 5 layers with this stuff but yeah you can order it online or home depot or walmart or boat stores..........

the site i learned from went down but ill talk you through it on aim some time its really pretty easy just time consuming and very intimidating the first time, my first fiberglass box actually caught on fire when welding near it, i was soooo glad i caught it before it was destroed after the several days of working on it, o and also for a first box i would highly recomend not using mat at all if possible but if you do only use it the first layer or two then use weave over that because mat is very hard to get flat and smooth if you dont know what you are doing

Old 02-23-2008, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
i do 7 layers

i lucked out about 2 years ago i got about 30lbs of some very thick fiberglass from a guy on ftw, still have pleanty to make my console and only need at most 5 layers with this stuff but yeah you can order it online or home depot or walmart or boat stores..........

the site i learned from went down but ill talk you through it on aim some time its really pretty easy just time consuming and very intimidating the first time, my first fiberglass box actually caught on fire when welding near it, i was soooo glad i caught it before it was destroed after the several days of working on it, o and also for a first box i would highly recomend not using mat at all if possible but if you do only use it the first layer or two then use weave over that because mat is very hard to get flat and smooth if you dont know what you are doing
Thats what a bone roller is for.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
yeah well i didnt have one when i did my first fiberglass box

which is here, o man what a learning experience that was

Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 AM
Is that the same as those whale bone folding tools? The kind you find at art supply stores?

Old 02-23-2008, 03:30 AM
don't forget the fleece first, I usually start there with an mdf skeleton. stretchand staple the fleece to the mdf and soak it in resin, then I usuly do two layers on top and three on bottom

Old 02-23-2008, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by c0ckac0la
Is that the same as those whale bone folding tools? The kind you find at art supply stores?
Idk. Never looked there.

Its just like a miniature paint roller in shape. But @ the end its like a hot air curler... Round inside but with spikes all over it and normally Blue in color.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by styxnpicks
don't forget the fleece first, I usually start there with an mdf skeleton. stretchand staple the fleece to the mdf and soak it in resin, then I usuly do two layers on top and three on bottom
that or foam, which is how i am going to do my console, its alot easier to get a specific shape, never used it before so hopefully i dont end up with a puddle of melted foam

Old 02-23-2008, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
that or foam, which is how i am going to do my console, its alot easier to get a specific shape, never used it before so hopefully i dont end up with a puddle of melted foam
I have never used foam... Ive always done MDF skeletons or FBG freehand...

Old 02-23-2008, 03:44 AM
I have never used foam... Ive always done MDF skeletons or FBG freehand...
yeah me too but with this console im making it will have some pretty complex curves that would be kinda hard and very time consuming, so im gonna just get a block of foam and start carving away, then lay down some foil and glass over it

Old 02-23-2008, 03:54 AM
Idk. Never looked there.

Its just like a miniature paint roller in shape. But @ the end its like a hot air curler... Round inside but with spikes all over it and normally Blue in color.
This is what I was thinking:

My fiance got one to fold paper for our invitations and such. Doesn't sound like the same thing. Is that actually made of bone? Can you get it at Home Depot?

Old 02-23-2008, 03:59 AM
Originally Posted by c0ckac0la
This is what I was thinking:

My fiance got one to fold paper for our invitations and such. Doesn't sound like the same thing. Is that actually made of bone? Can you get it at Home Depot?
Nah, its just plastic. Works well to smooth out the glass evenly and to get the air out from between the layers. Ill get a pic of it prolly Wed/Thurs of this week.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Really cool site to help you first timer and even regular fiberglassers.Fiberglass ForumsSome really cool tips or even just some great ideas to look at.* Some of these guys just get CRAZY with thier work.* There's a kid on here that built his own wide body kit for his car.* Took him about a year but came out amazing.

Quick Reply: where to get/ how to fiberglass?