Alpine 5x7s Vs. Polk db571

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alpine 5x7s Vs. Polk db571

I have a Kicker zx350.2 amp and a 12" Kicker shallow sub goin in on Friday... Im guessing I will quickly want to change out the door speakers once I have all the bass coming through.

Im lookin Crutchfield at the Alpine SPS-57C2 or Polk DB571. Alpines are $200 for 4 & Polks $150 for 4. Are the Alpines worth the extra $50? Also, CF says that the Alpines will only fit the front. Ive heard people talking about getting them on here and havent heard anthing about that...is it true or what other type S would fit in back?

At the moment, not gonna get an amp, but im sure amp + head unit will be not too far down the road. Will there be a problem adding an amp later on? Any 4 channel amps highly recommended or not-recommended?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Up N Tha Tuchas
I have a Kicker zx350.2 amp and a 12" Kicker shallow sub goin in on Friday... Im guessing I will quickly want to change out the door speakers once I have all the bass coming through.

Im lookin Crutchfield at the Alpine SPS-57C2 or Polk DB571. Alpines are $200 for 4 & Polks $150 for 4. Are the Alpines worth the extra $50? Also, CF says that the Alpines will only fit the front. Ive heard people talking about getting them on here and havent heard anthing about that...is it true or what other type S would fit in back?

At the moment, not gonna get an amp, but im sure amp + head unit will be not too far down the road. Will there be a problem adding an amp later on? Any 4 channel amps highly recommended or not-recommended?

THANKS
They sure are my friend!!
Alpine or JL Audio is all I'll run in my truck!!
Far better SQ and a great company to deal with also...

Get the Alpine

As far as amps go check out Alpines Mrp-..... A 75x4 channel will do ya!
The type S Alpine work with an amp but don't like to much power.
The Alpine type R work great with an amp but do need a little more power then just a HU.

Last edited by Mr. eXtreme; 01-30-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. eXtreme
They sure are my friend!!
Alpine or JL Audio is all I'll run in my truck!!
Far better SQ and a great company to deal with also...

Get the Alpine

As far as amps go check out Alpines Mrp-..... A 75x4 channel will do ya!
The type S Alpine work with an amp but don't like to much power.
The Alpine type R work great with an amp but do need a little more power then just a HU.
thanks for the info... sounds like alpines the way to go... will the s types fit in the back???

Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

polks are great too, dont count them out. i would run the polks if you use an amp. yes the type-s 5x7 or polk db 5x7 will fit the front and back.

check out www.sonicelectronix.com they are way cheaper then crutchfield, and since we live in Cali (where they are located) ground shipping takes 2-3 days max. ive ordered a lot of my equipment from them, good customer service as well.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:47 PM
I have a Kicker 60W RMS x 4 amp for my door speakers and it works great.
I would also suggest using a dual amp wiring kit if you are going to install another amp later. I bought a Rockford Fosgate dual wiring kit from Crutchfield and it works great, BUT, search around and you can get it a lot cheaper!

Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
polks are great too, dont count them out. i would run the polks if you use an amp. yes the type-s 5x7 or polk db 5x7 will fit the front and back.

check out www.sonicelectronix.com they are way cheaper then crutchfield, and since we live in Cali (where they are located) ground shipping takes 2-3 days max. ive ordered a lot of my equipment from them, good customer service as well.

Thanks for the info guys..

mSall150
that site has much better prices than crutchfield.. defintely gonna have to take advantage of them.. all i need to do now is decide on type s, type r or polk... do you have either of these in your truck? Any amp Suggestions?

where are you located in norcal??

REROG4x4
are you saying that i should get a dual kit for putting in my amp & sub tomorrow if im planning to add speakers and an amp to run them at a later time?? i bought an 8gauge Rockford Fosgate amp wiring kit from BestBuy for the amp/sub.. i dont think i even saw a dual one

Maybe I can just talk the guy thats installing my amp/sub into a deal on a full speaker setup too... Cant wait to get that 12 runnin tomorrow!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:23 PM

all i need to do now is decide on type s, type r or polk... do you have either of these in your truck? Any amp Suggestions?
I have used all 3 and here is a simple breakdown...
Alpine Type S - Love em, really good when powered off of headunit power, whether it be stock or aftermarket.
Alpine Type R - Have em now, you need to amp these with at least 75w rms, but they like more.
Polk db571's - I have used the older model, but pretty much the same thing. They sounded good off of aftermarket headunit power, but I like them alot better with an amp. I didnt put too much power to them, but they were nice.

Pretty much, all of those are good setups, but if you go type r, definately amp them. Maybe even go, type r up front, and type s in the rear, but amp the fronts and power the rears off of headunit power. You might just like it...

are you saying that i should get a dual kit for putting in my amp & sub tomorrow if im planning to add speakers and an amp to run them at a later time?? i bought an 8gauge Rockford Fosgate amp wiring kit from BestBuy for the amp/sub.. i dont think i even saw a dual one
That would make things easier as far as when you upgrade to your highs and mids amped. Pretty much it is just another 2 sets of rca's, a distro block, and some more power/ground wire.

I would def upgrade to 4awg power/ground though. You'll thank me later...

Cant wait to get that 12 runnin tomorrow!!!
Make sure you get some pics up in your gallery... Its the rules...

Devildog101

Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Boston Acoustic S85 sound Dam good without an amp and will sound better with one.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...h=s85&i=065S85

Old 01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
DevilDog

Thanks for all the great info.. Im lookin around for some decently priced Type R or Ss. Sonicelectronics seems to have a decent price. But Ill probably wait till I have the Sub in for a bit to replace the rest.

I have a Kicker ZX350.2, and was told that 8AWG would be just fine for that. Any specific reason you say to go to 4AWG? Also, Ill be sure to put up some pics once the sub/amp are in and runnin.

Since I dont really have any knowledge to contribute on here, Ill be glad to Photoshop anything on request. Gotta give back to this great site somehow.

Thanks all

Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

where are you located in norcal??
Davis.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:27 PM
DevilDog,

Thanks for all the great info.. Im lookin around for some decently priced Type R or Ss. Sonicelectronics seems to have a decent price. But Ill probably wait till I have the Sub in for a bit to replace the rest.
If you go with the type R's, they make a really nice 6 1/2 component set (SPR-17S) that fits in the stock 5x7 location without any modification. It comes with an adapter plate and doesnt require you to trim anything or mod anything at all. Simple install. Those are the ones I have. They are alot nicer than the older model SPR-17LS's. You will also benefit from having a round speaker instead of the oval setup and will have the seperate tweeter for better imaging. They are a little bit more money but like I suggested earlier, I would concentrate most of the funds to the front soundstage.

I have a Kicker ZX350.2, and was told that 8AWG would be just fine for that. Any specific reason you say to go to 4AWG?
Correct, the manufacturer probably wants you to run "at least" 8awg for that amp. They are not calculating that you are eventually going to add an additional amp (highs/mids). I know it might be somewhat down the road in the install but I will tell you, nothing sucks worst than having to go back in and re-install your power/ground wires when you upgrade. Been there, done that. Tried to save a buck and installed smaller wire, upgraded and had to purchase and re-install bigger wire wasting more time/money.

Like I said, "you'll thank me one day".

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email, I will be happy to help you budget shop online or give any technical support/advice that I might have.

Later bro,
Devildog101

Old 01-31-2008, 06:11 PM

THANKS
Just installed these very same Alpine's this past weekend in the front and rear door and am very pleased with the sound powerd by the factory head unit. Install on my '04 screw was a breeze.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Got my Alpine SPS-57C2 off e-Bay for about 40 bucks. New too. I put em up front and may get type R's later and move the S's to the back!

Quick Reply: Alpine 5x7s Vs. Polk db571