What aftermaket antenna are you guys using with the factory Sirius module?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What aftermaket antenna are you guys using with the factory Sirius module?

I am trying to add Sirius to my 05. I have the oem Sirius module and I have ordered the connector part#6L3Z-14588-AA. I need to know what are my options for buying an antenna for this. Ford wants a lot of money for the antenna and cable assembly. When I spoke with Dominic he said there should be an aftermarket antenna that's compatible.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Any aftermarket Sirius/XM antenna will work (may have to trim plastic on the connector, but no big deal). They are available at Best Buy or most other marketers of aftermarket satellite radios.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 PM
What's a good aftermarket one to use? Looks like some of them have bad reviews.

Thanks

Old 12-13-2008, 12:21 AM
If you visit a best buy or a circuit city, they have the antennas from sirius and from xm, they are all the same, one is not better than the other. Does the factory sat radio module have a pink antenna connector on it? If it does go with the xm antenna that has the pink end on it, i believe its called the micro.2... not 100% on that though, reguardless either one will work, and they are both equally great. Most sat radio antennas go bad from poor installation and routing.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:58 AM
It's not pink I think it was brown. I looked at the one from Best buy but the reviews were bad on it. Most say they would have to replace it at least once a year.

I would like to install under the tray in the dash. Do you think would that be a problem? Maybe it would hold up better too.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 AM
In my old truck, I had one of the replacements from Best Buy. I always had it inside on the dash. It lasted three years and was going strong until some thieves broke in, took the radio, and cut the antenna wire.

I've seen a lot of people putting the antenna in the dash and reporting it working fine. Others route it through the third brake light and put it on the roof. I wonder if the people with them crapping out are putting them on the roof, where it will be subject to weather and automatic car washes.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Personally I like the sirius antennas because they are thin, and a great spot to but them is under the plastic on top on the defrost vent. There is enought room for it to slide under without pushing up on the dash. I have a picture of one that I have done in an f-150 like that in my gallery under installs, It worked just fine and the customer hasn't come back after about a year or so which is always a good sign.

As for the antennas going bad from the reviews... It all depends on the abuse they go through. Do you live somewhere very hot or very humid, rain, washing the car, blah. They are both notorious for going out, nothing you can do about it, but i wouldn't say one is better than the other.

As for under the tray or whatever, there is a forum that has a lot of depth into that topic, I have heard of people using the metal behind the radio to put the antennas on and work without a problem... So either way you should be good to go.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by rangerdogy
In my old truck, I had one of the replacements from Best Buy. I always had it inside on the dash. It lasted three years and was going strong until some thieves broke in, took the radio, and cut the antenna wire.

I've seen a lot of people putting the antenna in the dash and reporting it working fine. Others route it through the third brake light and put it on the roof. I wonder if the people with them crapping out are putting them on the roof, where it will be subject to weather and automatic car washes.
Nah man I have had my cheapo antenna that came with my original Sirius on the roof for over 3 years and that thing is still in great shape. Trust me it has been through the ringer. Every moring in the winter when it is caked in ice and snow so much it cant get a signal I beat it with the ice scraper. My point being the caseing on those antenna's is pretty solid.

I have found the problems come from the wire and not the antenna housing. Those Wires are not very flexible and if they kink, can break internally no longer sending a signal. Another issue I have seen is a little diffucult to explain but I will try. Many people mount thier antenna too close to the point of entry where the wire is coming into the vehicle and end up trying to tuck the wireshield at the end up the antenna under their rear window or whereever. When that wiresheild is permanatly bent and exposed to the weather it will crack and frey. When you buy a Sirius Radio or car kit the included antenna also come with a small (about 3") wiremold with Heavy Duty 3M 2xsided tape. This is to mount your antenna about 3" from the point of entry for the antenna wire. It gives a cleaner look and protects that wire from the elements.

Quick Reply: What aftermaket antenna are you guys using with the factory Sirius module?