Installing Sirius in my 04

Old 09-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Sirius in my 04

I have a single CD HU (4L3T-18C869-GE) in my 04 which I want to add Sirius to. I attached a sirius receiver (7R3T-18C963-EA) to it using wiring harness 6L3Z-14588-AA. When I press the AUX button on the HU, I get a message that says "no aux attached". I do have power to the receiver and I know it works because I attached it to the HU in my 05 Mustang GT without a problem.

Is it possible that the 04 HU does not accept Sirius? If I need to replace the HU, what year and model should I use?

Thanks,

John

Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Ever Find an Answer or Solution?

Hi,

I'm in the same boat. Did you ever get a reply or figure out a solution?

On my install, the power supply is good, the OEM radio works, antenna is properly connected -- but, same "No AUX Attached" message.

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:15 PM
I am not sure if the 04 head unit excepts Sirius. I dont know when Ford started offering Sirius. You should no have a problem with a 2007 Head unit and possibly a 2006 Headunit.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Well, there's "shouldn't" and then there's the way it is . . .

Thanks for the response. Since leaving my last post, I've received a very valuable education in FoMoCo audio electronics for F-150s.

First, while there is only one part number for Ford's AM/FM/Cassette/CD head unit, there was actually two (2) suppliers that year -- Vistron (early) later replaced by Delco. Second, while the Ford Parts sticker may have (for example) an '05 date (e.g., 5L3T-18C868-AC) you should also look to see if there is another, different part number etched/stamped into the metal housing of the head unit. In my case, the aforementioned '05 head unit was actually made in '04 by Altec Electronica (VP-4L3F-18K884-CC). Also, the stamped/etched part number tells you who made it ("VP" stands for Visteon). Last, Altec Electronica is either a subdivision of or contractor to Visteon.

Why all the fuss? Because while the Ford part number and harness connections are the same for both head units, they do not have the same capabilities. Visteon head units with this part number and equipped with an AUX button will NOT take much in the way of auxiliary items, and NOT work with any Ford's OEM satellite radio option.

Apparently, there's lots of Visteon units on the used market looking for a home at an unsuspecting buyer's garage. I strongly urge anyone reading this to verify the manufacturer of your unit before buying.

Delco units apparently WILL work with Ford OEM satellite units; Visteon will not.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:59 PM
guys, I have an 04 lariat that had an in dash 6 cd changer. Here is how I got it to work:

buy a newer head unit - mine is from an 06, though I think most 05 will work - make sure that MP3 is printed above the cd load slot.

purchase an OEM Sirius (ford) tuner from Ebay - if you want to keep stuff OEM. If you don't - well, I did not test that out.

From there, you will need the 'jumper' harness (if it does not come with your factory tuner) to connect to the head unit.

From there, all you need is an antenna. ANY Sirius antenna will work - just ask a local stereo place and they are bound to have one. You may need to modify the plug, but that is very simple. My antenna was standard, magnetic, low profile and ith a long wire to get up to the tuner. I put it on the roof, just in front of the third brake light and favoring the passenger side. I then loosened the light, and routed the wire so it went into the cab from the BOTTOM, not the top or side, to allow weather protection. Basically, under the plastic on the right side edge of the light, then under bottom edge to the middle of the light and into the cab. Can't see the wire at all.

To reiterate - with a 2004 HU, it will not work.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:44 AM
JHC
I just purchased a 2005 Lariat. It has the CD6/MP3 HU and an XM Satellite antennae on the roof (aftermarket). I have a Kenwood Sirius Satellite receiver I took out of my Dodge to install in the Lariat. Based on what I have read the OEM HU won't accept the Satellite signal so do I need to get a satellite unit I can mount on the dash? Will it hook up to the HU so the sound comes through it?

Sorry, but I am a new to this.

Thanks.

JHC

Old 12-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by JHC
I just purchased a 2005 Lariat. It has the CD6/MP3 HU and an XM Satellite antennae on the roof (aftermarket). I have a Kenwood Sirius Satellite receiver I took out of my Dodge to install in the Lariat. Based on what I have read the OEM HU won't accept the Satellite signal so do I need to get a satellite unit I can mount on the dash? Will it hook up to the HU so the sound comes through it?

Sorry, but I am a new to this.

Thanks.

JHC
You have a few options. First is you can buy a Kenwood Aftermarket Headunit that is compatible with that Kenwood Reciever that you have. Your next option is to get an external Sirius Unit and there are a few ways to get sound out of it. The external units all have FM modulators built in so you can tune your car stereo to an FM station and it will pull the signal from your SAT reciever. Honestly in certain Areas this option sucks and some areas it is ok. Ususally it is a problem in cities where you get a lot of interferance. The next option which is the best way to go is to. Go to TSSRadio.com and get an adapter, Depending on which Sirus unit you buy this will hardwire the sound and power (needs to be a 5v Sirius Unit) http://www.tss-radio.com/ford-xm5frd04-p-3775.html. I would double check with them and ask them to make sure that this particualar one will work with your head unit because there are a few models.

If you go with an external, this is how I mounted mine, it gives a a nice clean look. http://www.tss-radio.com/ford-all-f1...ge-p-4264.html

In addition if you are purchasing a new External Satelite unit I highly recommed one of the higher end units like the Starmate or Sportster these units have nice features like Pause, Rewind as well as store favorite songs and will alert you when they play on another channel and they include the car kit. I personally use the Stiletto. This is the portable unit that will replace your ipod. You can record songs or content right from Sirius and listen to them on here anytime and you can transfer songs from your computer onto this so it actully replaces your ipod. The only downfall is this unit is a little pricey and the car kit is not included its about $50.00 extra or if you already have the antenna and power supply you can buy just the dock from TSS.

If you have any questions you can email the guys at TSS radio and they usually get back to you pretty quick.

Last edited by F150RYDER2K8; 12-08-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I gotta say in the few weeks I have had my 08 w/Sirus, I am not sure I will keep up the subscription once it runs out, do you guys find it sounds has good as a good fm station or hd radio for that matter, sound quality that is...? Or is it the channel selection yall like?
Just curious, don't mean to hijack your thread.....

Old 12-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by BayouSupercrew
I gotta say in the few weeks I have had my 08 w/Sirus, I am not sure I will keep up the subscription once it runs out, do you guys find it sounds has good as a good fm station or hd radio for that matter, sound quality that is...? Or is it the channel selection yall like?
Just curious, don't mean to hijack your thread.....
I got Sirius for Howard. But I do have to say, if he goes I will prob stay because, I like many of the features on my acutual unit plus I like the commercial free music. I hated FM radio because there are too many commericals, I hate CD's because I dont like listening to 1 particular Band and I hate shuffling through CD's while I drive. There is always the mp3 route which I went for awhile but sometimes I want to more than just music. When I got my Sirius 3 years ago, I justified it as: I buy 1 cd a month for around $12.95. If I don't buy a CD than it is a wash and sure enough 3 years later I have not bought a CD or song from itunes nor have I listened to FM radio.

I am going to completely honest with you though, I am not a big fan of the Factory Built in Sirius Units. They are clean looking however when I mentioned I liked the features, I was talking about how the aftermarket External Units have so many nice features that you do not get with the internal unit. Some of the models you can pause and rewind whatever you are listening to for up to 45 mins. I like this feature for the times I am listening to Howard or Sports and someone calls the cellphone, I pause and then FF through the commercials. Also many of the externals you can set "Favorite" artists or songs and the unit will alert you when a "Favorite" is getting ready to play on another channel. Or you can get the Stiletto portable unit which replaces your ipod. You can store your own mp3's on it or when you hear a song u like hit record and it will record the song to your library. The best part is you can take external units into your home or if you have multiple cars.

Last edited by F150RYDER2K8; 12-11-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:54 AM
F150RYDER2K8-you seem to know a lot about these systems so I have another question kinda related, but again sorry to hijack your thread:
My screw has the 6 disc w/sat as we discussed, best I can tell the ONLY differences the audiophile system has is, which mine is not: tweeters in the front doors; a sub in the back, and on the h/u itself a setting for playing just certain speakers to play like front, middle, rear, etc. Which leads me to wonder if all 6 discs units are the same and its just the additional speaker hardware to make it "audiophile" and some setting made at time of built with certain buttons to access a hidden menu? or are their truly two 6 disc am/fm/ sat/mp3 radios?
Any info greatly appreciated...btw I have the rear area dvd entertainment system also, if that matters?

Old 12-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by BayouSupercrew
F150RYDER2K8-you seem to know a lot about these systems so I have another question kinda related, but again sorry to hijack your thread:
My screw has the 6 disc w/sat as we discussed, best I can tell the ONLY differences the audiophile system has is, which mine is not: tweeters in the front doors; a sub in the back, and on the h/u itself a setting for playing just certain speakers to play like front, middle, rear, etc. Which leads me to wonder if all 6 discs units are the same and its just the additional speaker hardware to make it "audiophile" and some setting made at time of built with certain buttons to access a hidden menu? or are their truly two 6 disc am/fm/ sat/mp3 radios?
Any info greatly appreciated...btw I have the rear area dvd entertainment system also, if that matters?
Dont worry about hi-jacking the thread man, I like to hear myself talk. All I can tell you is DAMN, your truck is much fancier than mine. I know more about Sirius and installs than I do about Ford Electronics. If I had to guess I would guess there is (2 or more) different 6 disk systems, Ford uses a few different companies to manufacture these radios. About 10 years ago when I installed car stereo's I would cringe when a Ford came in. Why? Every other make of car had 1 wireing harness. Weather is was a 1982 or a 1999 Honda, Nissan, Toyota, GM, Chysler and almost everyone except Ford. Ford has a crap load of different wireing harness's because they have so many different radio's, I never really understood why. Thats about it for my knowledge on the subject Sorry I couldnt give you a definate answer.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:30 AM
No problem, thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing Sirius in my 04