Permanent 12 volt wiring for sat.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Permanent 12 volt wiring for sat.

I have a 2006 frod expedition & I have a sirius "plug & play" unit I want to permanently mount in my car.

I'm tired of tying up the cig. lighter with powering the sirius as I want my phone charger there.

SO, How can I hard wire the sirius to a constant 12 volt supply w/o/ using the lighter? Can I use the fusebox? How? Other options?

thanks

tj

Old 02-26-2006, 01:04 AM
You can hardwire a cig lighter in and hide it under the the little panel under the dash. Sorry but i dont know what the panel is called but its the one just above the hump with the vent holes on either side.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Its the panel in the lower left corner.

I hid the lighter under there and ran the wire under the carpet and through a hole in the front of the console.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Similar to the other guys....

When I had my XM MyFi, I tapped into the powerpoint access on the dash from behind the radio and installed a female cig-cord plug in... I zip-tied it in place and ran the wire between the trim pieces back to plug in... I also had a PIE Interface box mounted back there... I had it in for several months prior to pulling it all for an in-dash satellite radio/navigaition/DVD setup...

Here are a few pictures of the old MyFi installed...

Hope that helps just a bit...

RP

Old 02-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Pro-Fit mount

Rockpick
Great looking King Ranch. Which Pro-Fit mount did you use to mount your MyFi? I looked at the mounts on Pro-Fit's website, but I don't see one that looks like yours. Or, perhaps it's just the camera angle? I'm trying to find a mount that I can use on the left-side of my radio (04 SCrew Lariat w/audiphile) to mount a Roady2 and an iPod.

Thanks

Old 02-27-2006, 05:14 PM
If it is an Audiophile unit you can splice into the # 2 wire (green with a yellow stripe)in the large harness in the back of your head unit. This will power your Sirius when the key is on and will keep the delay shut off feature when you turn the key off but the doors have not yet been opened.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by 8iron
If it is an Audiophile unit you can splice into the # 2 wire (green with a yellow stripe)in the large harness in the back of your head unit. This will power your Sirius when the key is on and will keep the delay shut off feature when you turn the key off but the doors have not yet been opened.
ya, and the ground is black/green stripe! works perfect

Old 03-10-2006, 04:45 AM
I bought one of those cig lighter splitters from Wallyworld and cut the cig lighter plug off and spliced the wires into the switched power from the radio. This gives me a place to plug my Sat radio and radar detector in and it's all hidden behind the radio and it all powers up when I turn on the truck. BTW, my radar detector is just above the dash tray and I just slid it out and ran the wire down behind the tray.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:00 PM
I installed my Sirius Streamer GTR, Pro-fit and PIE - FRD04-AUX in my 2004 f-150 with audiophile today. I used the - Mini Add a Fused Circiut from Pep Boys to connect the PIE and the Sirius kit (cigarette lighter plug in cut off) to power both units. I used fuse slot # 22, this gives you the factory time delayed power shut off for your Sirius and PIE. The only way this add a fuse will plug in to the fuse block is the correct way (wire pig tail towards the passenger seat). If you are using the Pro-fit mount (mine is at the top left - seems to work the best) and have the radio bezel removed you can unbolt the dash tray (2 bolts) you will find a factory bolt for your ground at the base of the windshield.

Quick Reply: Permanent 12 volt wiring for sat.