2003 F150 SCrew XM Roady XT Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2003 F150 SCrew XM Roady XT Install

Well - I finally found the time to install it properly. Using a PIE and a Pro-Fit adapter from http://www.myradiostore.com I've now got XM installed to my liking (and I don't have to put up with the crummy vent clip anymore)

Vehicle is a 2003 F150 SuperCrew with the OEM AM/FM/CD (6 disc changer ready) unit. PIE adapter XM5-FRDN and Pro-Fit VSM LC-70-98 K both from myradiostore.com . Also needed some splice connectors and the OEM radio removal tool from Wal-Mart.

Installation took a total of about 4 hours spread over two days, I had to go get some inline 12v connectors to complete the install.

Overall, instructions from both items were realtively straightforward, but the PIE instructions weren't exactly clear as to having to install the 12v and Ground onto the vehicles electrical system. One quick phone call to PIE Tech support and that was confirmed.

The F150 dash comes out fairly easily, and with the $4 radio removal tool the radio came out easily too. Had a little trouble tapping into the cigarette lighter power and ground, but only because to actually access them you would have to remove the entire dash (yuk). After about 1 hour I managed to get my meatball hands into the hole to make the connections, talk about bloody knuckles.

Reconnected the battery, turned the key and Viola! XM thru the CD changer controls.

Installed the antenna under the windshield cowl as some others here have demonstrated. Only trouble with that was figuring out where all the fasteners holding the cowl in place were hiding.

Pictures attached, I've still got to get a small length of wire loom to dress up the wires from the XT into the dash.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Looks good. How is your reception with the antenna under the cowl? full bars or what? Mines on the roof for the moment, I want to move it to under the cowl, but I want to make sure you can still get full signal.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:06 PM
So far I am noticing the same signal strength that I had with the antenna mounted on the roof. 3 or 4 bars, depending on the terrain (we've got hills here).

Haven't found any dropouts yet, even better the recpetion improved in the one area that I used to get dropouts in...

Talking with other people at xm411.com they all seem to see similar results with antenna mounted in the cowl.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:32 PM
What is a PIE ??

I have a dumb question but what is a P.I.E Adapter?

Old 02-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pruettfan
I have a dumb question but what is a P.I.E Adapter?

Just do a search here and you'll find it;here is a link... http://www.pie.net/

Old 02-25-2006, 11:25 PM
hey blackie, install looks nice and clean, glad to see another knoxvillian on here

Old 03-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Knox-vegas

Originally Posted by alex1118
hey blackie, install looks nice and clean, glad to see another knoxvillian on here
Thanks - rare when you run into someone online from Knox-vegas...

Old 08-08-2006, 07:21 PM
ff blackie, thanks for the reply in my sat thread. And I'm a Knoxvillian as well. Small world after all, ain't it.

Quick Reply: 2003 F150 SCrew XM Roady XT Install