Why SHOULDN"T I buy a Tundra?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Hey Utah-Brian! Let me add one more reason for NOT buying a Tundra.

You do not get paid every week in YEN.

Enough said?

Old 12-10-2000, 03:00 PM
Thumbs down

Hey Utah-Brian! Let me add one more reason for NOT buying a Tundra.

You do not get paid every week in YEN.

Enough said?

Old 12-11-2000, 11:02 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You're too late. Utah-Brian bought the Tundra nine months ago then traded it for a Volkswagon when his boss started paying him in deutsche marks.

Old 12-18-2000, 11:10 PM
Banned
why shouldnt u buy a tundra? why shouldnt you buy a ford? the Tacoma is great. it was made for driving, the tundra was made for pulling and hauling and other things full sized trucks do. rice burners cant do what a good ole full size american truck can.

------------------
'97 F-150 XLT Clearcoat Red
4x2
17 inch Wheels
Stepside, K&N, bedliner
32inch tires,flowmaster,
tint, matching ford sticker
5spd fully loaded, hidden hitch
new spark plugs

Old 01-01-2001, 04:01 PM
I will look at this debate from another angle. Due to the fact that I own an auto repair shop, I think I have a little insight.

If you plan to keep your truck for a long time, be prepared to pay some horrendous prices to have the Tundra worked on. Not only are the parts prices 2-10X more expensive, but the labor to get to those parts is much higher also.

Timing belts are a cheap way to make an engine "seem" smoother..... when all they really are is a way for repair shops to make LOTS of money. They need to be replaced every 60K miles...... if you do not do this, and the belt goes, you are on your own warranty wise. If the belt...... or one of the tensioners lets loose (another common problem), your engine will self destruct. This is due to the fact that it is an interference engine (this means the valves WILL hit the pistons if out of time).

Believe me, I love technology....... I just love it done RIGHT. While I may make alot of money fixing them..... I would NEVER own one.

Also, Toyota is notorious for making their engines almost impossible to work on. Try changing a water pump on one of their V6's (if you can even find it). I am sure the V8 will be no better...... and possibly worse.

Remember, once a vehicle gets over 60K miles, there are things that may/will go wrong with it. It is a part of life. Things like brake overhauls, water pumps, alternators, starters, wheel bearings.... and so on. So, you have to take into account how long you plan on keeping your vehicle when you make the purchase decision. Then you need to think of not only your purchase price, but the future price you will pay to keep it running well.

Needless to say, I have slowly become a Ford fan over the years. This comes from seeing the repairs that I have made, and the breakdowns I have seen. With the exeption of the ZF transmission (can you say BIG POS) used in the heavy trucks (used by all the big three...... and it is a German trans, go figure), I have seen next to no real problems. Also, you have to consider that my shop is in a primarily Ford area.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Just thought some might like to see the other end of the story.

ps, my other has a new '01 Lightning on order. We can't wait.

------------------
Gloria
94 Lightning, daily driver
93 EB Explorer, 1000 RTI

Old 01-04-2001, 10:03 PM
Thumbs down

UtahBrian & Others:

I understand your pain. The Japs definitely know how to implement zero defect manufacturing, we taught them 50 years ago. I've owned several Nissan and Honda products over the last 20+ years, and they have been phenomenal. But....they haven't been innovative. As I've said in other responses, Honda missed the boat on SUV's, needing to have Isuzu produce one for them because they were so late to market themselves (about 5 years), and while half of all vehicles sold in this country are trucks, they still don't produce one.

I recently bought a new SCrew after looking at Toyota (give them a few years to learn how to perfect a full sized truck and 8 cylinder engine), Dodge/Chrysler (is this the year they produce decent quality or is it next ?) and GM (I'm better off buying a fugitive from the glue factory... a half dead horse). If you want a full-sized, 4 door, 8 cylinder pick-up, like I did, go for the SCrew. If you don't need or want a full-sized, 4 door pick-up there are a lot of good quality choices. How many share my expectation of quality when driving out of the dealership with a new vehicle ???? 75,000 miles of trouble free operation... and I don't mean problems fixed under warrantee without incurring cost, I'm talking about zero defects for 75,000 miles!!! Buyers of Big Three products probably don't know what it's like..........

Old 01-23-2001, 08:43 PM
I've owned a '87 Ranger and a '95 Tacoma.

I now on a '99 F-150, but I considered the Tundra.

Reasons I liked the Ford:
- Value: the Tunrda isn't even close . . WAY overpriced
- Size: Tundra should really be lumped in with Dakota
- Looks: The Tundra tried to copy the F-150, but didn't come close.
- Pride: There's just something about rolling down the road in an American-built, American-iron, American-company, Amercian profit vehicle. If you don't get it, then you need to watch more of the History Channel
- Three years into production . . at the time, the Tundra was brand new, and I don't trust anyone that much (even Toyota).
- Build quality: Toyota uses cheap cheap interior parts, cheap seats . . . where do I stop?

Reasons I like the Tundra:
- Toyota reputation for build quality
- Toyota service

It was a pretty easy decision for me.

Old 02-09-2001, 11:25 AM
Have to add my $0.02 here.

The Toyota Tundra was originally named T-150..as the evolution of the POS T-100 truck.

Ford didn't like the T-100 name, but they dealt with it. But, when Toyota announced the T-150 concept...Ford stepped up and said NO, I don't think so fellas. That's too close to F-150, and it looked quite similar in the concept as well. Toyota changed it from an alpha-numeric to an actual word. As well as ever-so-slightly massaging the appearance to further itself from the Ford.

Not sure what Tundra is suppose to mean...It's derived from the Russian word "Tundar" meaning: "A treeless area between the icecap and the tree line of Arctic regions, having a permanently frozen subsoil and supporting low-growing vegetation such as lichens, mosses, and stunted shrubs."

How cheesy is that?

To be honest with you, I actually considered a Tundra...until I saw the window sticker and compared the F-150 option list to the Yota. Then the choice was simple. Yeah, Toyota has a gret name and reputation for quality cars, but so Ford does when it comes to their trucks.

------------------
--Lariat4WD--

[This message has been edited by lariat4wd (edited 02-09-2001).]

Quick Reply: Why SHOULDN"T I buy a Tundra?