Why SHOULDN"T I buy a Tundra?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2000, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Mild Bill -

I posted a similar thread at the tudrasolutions.com website, entitled "Why shouldn't I buy an F-150?". I think you should check it out. I keep wavering back and forth between the two trucks. Right now I am leaning towards the Tundra. When I look at the problems both trucks have, I think that the Ford's are more severe. The door crack and 5.4l engine oil leak really bug me. Even when they get these problems fixed, what will be next?

Hey, if you still want a V8 5-speed F-150, do you want to buy mine? It's a 1998, under 19,000 miles, 4x4, XLT extended cab. Plus the doors aren't cracked (yet).

Old 03-22-2000, 09:56 PM
I agree that the F-150 is full sized, while the Tundra is not. That's important to me because I often fill my SC with my 4 kids (3 teenagers) and the Tundra is just not an option. .

How Toyota missed the target, I don't know. Tiny back seat. No step-side (now, they come out with one for the Tocoma). Impossible-to-find 6-cylinders in Canada. Almost impossible-to-find 4-wheel ABS. I also don't understand their shallow box. But they've missed the target before, with the Previa mini-van, for example.

But I also agree that Ford is completely missing the target on customer service and communications with customers. Ford is definitely in the dark ages and it's costing them repeat customers, even though they've got the better product (witness their stone-walling over recent Mustang Cobra engine problems).

A shame, really. I really have loved all my Fords (trucks, Mustangs, a Taurus wagon, even my flame-prone '71 Pinto and a huge '64 Merc Meteor Rideau 2-door -- anyone know what that is?).

But I HATE (repeat, HATE) dealing with the company and their know-nothing dealers and ignorant, confrontational service advisers.

I've been enjoying my 2000 SC since late September but I'm still waiting to hear from a dealer from back in the spring of '99 about my replacement clutch slave cylinder for my long-gone '98.

Still, if you pick an F-150 over a Tundra, you'll enjoy it and you made the right decision. Just don't expect "Service" from the company or the dealers.

------------------
Black 2000 SC XLT short-box. 4.2 V-6, 5-speed, 3.55 Limited Slip. Side steps, CD, remote entry, FORD box liner. Add-ons: Older Windstar driver's side wiper blade (with the air scoop, because I don't slow down when it rains), back-up beeper, "f150online.com" sticker and snazzy Tweetie Bird floor mats.

My third F-series: '73 F-100, '98 F-150 and '00 F-150. Great trucks!

[This message has been edited by Shifter (edited 03-22-2000).]

Old 03-22-2000, 10:32 PM
Red face

Yeah, I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder on my '98 F150 at about 6,000 miles. Another fine piece of Ford workmanship. If you are talking just plain size and mass, I guess the Ford wins. Hey, those Dodge trucks look even bigger, so they must be better than a Ford, right?

Old 03-24-2000, 02:47 PM
Having read UTBrian's thread on the Tundra site, I'm in the same position, so I'll update him here:

I'm 95% sure I'm getting the F-150.
Comparing invoice prices, comparable trucks for my needs/wants are either $250 or $800 in Ford's favor (the difference being 4x2 or 4x4 pricing). On top of that, I want a Limited Slip Differential, which only Ford offers (This then narrows the price gap, but then I'm not talking true comparables).

Plus, the Tundras have their problems - bad paint and vibrations being the most frequently noted. However, this isn't as pervasive as the door cracks on the F-150, and I'm worried about the head gasket leak on the 5.4L (which is more a match for the Toyota engine so is the comparable rather than the 4.6L - if I felt the 4.6L was a match for the Toyota pricing would be even more in Ford's favor).

The Toyota dealers seem to be doing a little more to support their customers. But the Toyota isn't perfect, bottom line for me.

Smaller size is a benefit for the Toyota in my book, but I'll be okay with the Ford, too.

So, that said, I was still back and forth, probably going to give up the LSD and go with the Toyota until . . . I found out one of my subcontractors had a fleet deal with Ford and would help me get fleet pricing for my truck! BIG savings. I'll offer Toyota a chance, but I'm not going to set up fleet status for my company with them, so I'm sure I won't be buying from them . . . they can't match the price anymore and the potential problems are worth it. Now it's just a matter of time, pretty much.

If I wasn't getting such a price break? Hard to say. I'd probably try to buy the Toyota, but would not get a reasonable deal, and would then go buy the Ford at a great price. Now I'm skipping step one and getting a phenomonal price.

my $0.02,
David

Old 03-24-2000, 02:57 PM
Angry

I must say, a strong arguement for the Tundra is that the "Tundra Solutions" website is a HECK of a lot faster than this one! It takes five minutes just to post this quick message! Arrrrrrgh!

Old 03-30-2000, 08:12 PM
Cool

Ny busineess partener and I bought new trucks in February. Me, a 2000 F150 supercab, 5.4, 4x4. Him a 2000 Tundra, 4x4,Access cab. I'll tell you right now the Ford is much bigger. We use these trucks for our business and when it comes to utility the F150 wins. He had to get an etended hight topper which still has his pissed off. I will however give his trucks props when it comes to his engine, that thing has an awesome engine. I felt the rear seating area was only large enough for children and would be tourture on long trips. I'll be honest though I was going to get a Tundra until I started looking at the F150. I just like the shear size. All the other bull crap of American vs "Jap" (you guys should be a little more carful with this name), is just that Bull. Reliability: in your first 100K the Tundra will win this battle, but aafter that you will have to replace certin things and that is when you'll find out just how pricy these vehicles are.

Old 04-04-2000, 11:48 AM
Lightbulb

Glassman, I'd be interested to hear how the truck fare head to head, maybe in a year or periodically. Keep us updated!

Old 04-04-2000, 08:46 PM
The f-150 is 5 times safer than the little truck. It's a fact, check out the latest crash test results.I wouldn't put my family in that little unsafe truck.The ford is much safer by far.

Old 04-05-2000, 02:23 PM
I checked the crash ratings at WWW.NHTSA.DOT.GOV. The F150 got a 4-star frontal crash rating, for both driver and passenger. The Tundra got a 4-star rating for the driver and a 3-star rating for the passenger. So they are equally safe during a frontal crash on the driver's side, and for the passenger side, the chance for receiving a serious injury in the Tundra could be anywhere from 1% to 14% greater when compared to the Ford.

For side crash ratings, the Ford received a 5-star rating for both sides. There is no side crash data for the Tundra.

I would say the Ford is slightly safer than the Toyota; however, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Tundra is UNSAFE. It's not like the Tundra is going to explode if someone runs into you (It's not a Pinto - oh wait, Ford manufactured that fine automobile).

Old 04-05-2000, 04:03 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Brian, why do I get the feeling that the 'Tundra Solutions' board is winning the tug-of-war for your soul?

Old 04-13-2000, 03:32 PM
Lightbulb

UtahBrian, First off, I would not consider myself an "enthusiast". I read this sight for the wealth of information and experience that other owners have to offer. I own an F150 because it suits my needs of a moderste to (occasionally) heavy work load. Only you know what you will do with your truck and that will play heavily into your choice. I have a 1996 F150 so the problems that y'all are discussing are irrelevant to me. One of the benefits of getting the last year of a model rather than the first. (this was a consious choice) However, like you mentioned I am interested in keeping this truck for a long period of time. I only go to the dealership for service because it is still under warranty (100,000). I'm not sure what you plan to do after that, but I would never pay dealer prices for service when mine runs out. I know of some really good mechanics that are fair and work with me well (ex-students-one of the benefits of being a teacher). I don't believe you will be able to find service as readily or cheap on a foriegn (this has nothing to do with the "USA" thing) vehicle after your warranty expires. In my case I hope that 100,000 miles will only be half the life of my vehicle, so it was a large consideration. Just something to think about from someone who is NOT an expert. Hope this helps -- Martin

Old 10-04-2000, 01:43 PM
Thumbs down

You should buy a Toyota Tun(o********)dra,
IF You receive your weekly paycheck
IN YEN!

No amount of high tecky crap will ever overcome V-8, rear wheel, tire smoking torque

Old 10-14-2000, 11:44 PM
I may make some enemies here but I have to speak out.
I am a die hard Ford fan - my very first car was a 1962 Galaxie & I loved that car. When it was stolen, AFTER I put in a '64 T-Bird HP 390, I was broken hearted. I bought anohter 1 years ago with the intention of restoring it but never got the chance to do so. I still have it & can't part with it.
I recently bought my first pickup - check my signature. I love this truck & plan on keeping it for as long as possible. BUT - my last vehicle, which my Dad gave me was an '85 Camry. It was by far the most dependable car I ever had. It got me thru snow which all my friend's American cars could't manage. It's a long story but the car was severly neglected, thanks to an abusive ex-fiance & it was still dependable. If I had the money to replace the rack & timing belt I'd still be driving it. I have instead given it to my sister as she has the same car/engine & can use many of the parts from my car. Both our cars were high milege - she took better care of hers & it's still going strong.
I can't speak about Toyota trucks but I can't knock their cars for reliability. I had a '70 Montego that was the worst vehicle I have ever had & that includes a '68 LeSabre & '67 Newport. All in all, the Camry would be my favorite CAR of all.
Again, I LOVE this truck. I am very impressed by the fact that the F150 has been the best selling truck for 22 years. I dare Chevy to EVER come close to beating that! Maybe in time Toyota will give Ford a run for their money with the Tundra - time will tell. I just know thier cars & have to give credit where credit is due.
Take or leave my opinion - I am only pointing out I had good luck with the Camry & expcet to have just as good a time with my F150. I will say this - it feels VERY good to be back in a Ford! They awlays were & always will be my favorite American car company - despite the best efforts of their dealers to alienate their customers!
Best of luck to you - somehow I feel you were purposely leading everyone here into an argument. I hope not - all these F150 owners are great, friendly hard working people who love their trucks.

------------------
If you can't beat 'em, you're NOT driving a FORD!

'97 F150 XLT ORP 4X4
4.6L/auto/power EVERYTHING,
nerf bars, 17" wheels, fog lights, trailer hitch w/electrical connector, front tow hooks, bed rail caps,
6 CD changer, lumbar support & 3 cow license plates - so far!
I'll fill in the rest as I get to know the truck better BUT it's big, it's pretty & best of all - IT'S A FORD! He's SO cute!

Old 10-21-2000, 02:29 PM
Red face

I would not get the Tundra because of the 4x4 system. My Dad had a ugly Tundra and the 4x4 system has failed many times when needed. It kicks out of 4x4 on its own and Toyota tried to tell him that it is a saftey feature. And it kicks the 4x4 out when too much stress is on the 4x4 system. But Toyota is full if Sh_t. This is my Dad second Tuntra the first was a lemon. And my Dad's friend has a 4x4 Tundra and his 4x4 system does the same thing. My Dad has already traded in this truck for a 2001 F-150 4x4. I drove me dads Tunrda and it does not drive like a Man's Truck but more like a geo metro. (not joking).. Be a real man buy a Ford buy American.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Ex-Cab 4x4 Auto Trans with 5.4L and Off-Road Package. Tan Captain chairs, Limited Slip Rear, "MAN"ual shift 4x4, Ford Wood Grain Option, Warn XD9500i winch mounted to a Warn Chrome Brush Gurad

[This message has been edited by Wes1356 (edited 10-21-2000).]

Old 11-12-2000, 09:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Tundra? Just say NO!! YUCK! what an ugly truck! Oh wait a minute,,It looks just like an F-150, What a beeuuuty!(Steve Irwin style) LOL!!

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Clear Euro tails(Altezza style)
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper 500HF Security system
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
www.my-f150.com .still want to lift it,YES!
Fender Guitars,ROCK!!!
http://www.bigsandy.net
officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

Quick Reply: Why SHOULDN"T I buy a Tundra?