The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

don't know what vechicle to buy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy don't know what vechicle to buy!

i am currently selling my 2001 f-150 work truck, and am tied between vechicles. one is a 1979 f-100 with some ungodly amount of lift on it and at least 40" tires on it, i am 6'2'' and the window starts at my eyes. it runs and all, and is in a little rough conditon but i can get it for 1500. the other is a 1999 for mustang, v6 with warranty i can get it for 7000. i do enjoy fast driving, but also some offroading, i was wondering if anyone had any opinions, or if they have owned a 70-79 f-100 and could tell me if their reliable, and what kind of mileage it gets (it has a 351W with a 4bbl carb). i am 16 and would be using the vechicle mainly to and from school and work, but also partying and having fun on the weekends. both have certian benefits for me, so any outside thoughts would help. thanks for all the comments, info and opinions!

Old 09-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Ever try and put a keg in a mustang...ever try and get a drunk girl into a truck with a 10" lift ?
I think I would give it some serious consideration.
...and the girl, I meant to drive her home..what did you think I was talking about? How about a compromise buy your mom's minivan

Old 09-08-2004, 07:06 PM
lol, i like the drunk girl part and i would give ehr a ride home. my first car was a '68 mustang (wrecked now) and kegs fit fine, but i have heard the late models have a small trunk space. my big worries are reliability of the truck, and the MPG it will get. i talked to the owner and it has been sitting for the better part of 6 years now, the tail gate has rust and has come off the hinge, and ther is some rust in the bed, on the back of the cab, and near the bottom of the door on the passenger side. it seems reliable enough, for after sitting for 6 years i turned the key and it started right up. i took a test drive and it rides straight enough and it is a 4x4, but i didnt drive it enough to get a MPG idea and the owner didnt know, for he hadnt driven it himself in a long time.

Old 09-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Sounds like a big difference in price 1500-7000 I say buy the truck and put the extra money aside you'll probably need it for gas and parts, have you already taken the truck to a good mechanic to get it looked over? The money you spend will be well worth not having a big surprise (transmission, engine problem) a month after ya buy it. With 40" tires you will definately stand above the rest of the crowd. As for gas I got 33" tires have not regeared the rear end and am lucky to get 14-16 mpg so rest assured my friend you'll be spending some time at the pump. Lastly how is the condition of those tires, you may want to price out some new one's and look at what you'll be spending on the next set. And the girl, well my friend I'm outta high school and that girl is still in my truck...should've taken her home...

Old 09-08-2004, 08:33 PM
yea i have had the truck checked out by 2 of m,y trusted mechanics (one being my auto shop teacher) and both said although the body has the afre-mentioned, mechanically its in superb condition. its height allowed wind to pass under it keeping it free of moisture. i've had an offer for 10,500 on my turck so if i spend 1500 on it, other than gas i got 9000 in the bank for college or gas or whatever. as far as the girl, i have one right now, been solid for 11 months now, an im hoping that it continues for a long time. thanks for the help, i realized although i do a lot of driving and the gas is gonna be bad, i use the truck enough to keep it, and the height will be a big bonus when it comes time to play. the tires look brand new, the owner bought them (he bought 5 tires so even the spare fits) and drove them for about 5 months before parking the ford. so the tires are still brand new, and it has a matching spare and all. all im gonna do to it is get the rust off, maybe go to a 2bbl carb for better gas, and maybe some loud dual exhaust. would it still be responsive with the 2bbl? i know ill lose some power, but will i lose enough to get stuck out in the mud and rocks?

Old 09-08-2004, 08:48 PM
You'll be better off with the 4 barrel. You have to change the intake manifold and all to change over to a 2 barrel, but you'll do better and stioll have the power if you just keep your foot from flooring the gas all the time (hard to do, especially when there's power there and it sounds good). The 351w won't let you down, and you'll get anywhere from 10 to 15 mpg, depending on driving. If there are no tranny leaks, then go for the big truck, you won't be disappointed.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
go big or dont go at all! get the truck, you will prob get like 10 mpg or less, when you wear out those tires you will be spending buku dollars, but you can go everywere and look cool doing it, how many big old trucks do you see compared to mustangs? get the truck

Old 09-09-2004, 04:12 PM
What kind of answer do you expect in this forum? Truck all the way.

As the song goes...

"You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill And I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe de Ville I've got an eight-foot bed that never has to be made You know if it weren't for trucks we wouldn't have Tailgates"

Old 09-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Just read my screen name!

Old 09-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Sounds like you got your answer. Post the pics of the truck and I'll tell ya whether or not we made the right decision just make sure ya get it all the way up the mustangs hood before snapping the pics.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:23 PM
i am going to go over tomorrow and get a pic or 2 of the truck, ill post them here (althoiugh ive never posted a pic b4, ill try my best) i found a small rust hole or 2 in the frame, and im starting to question if its worth it, because i drove it again and it started to make some sounds, im thinking it might be a giant burden waiting to happen, but im gonna get it checked out one more time. also, i feel the gas might end up killing me, i have to talk it over with my dad though because he really has the deciding factor in the end. in his own words, "there's a reason its 1500 dollars and has been sitting for 6 years"

Old 09-10-2004, 07:39 AM
get both.

Old 10-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by tme1129
"there's a reason its 1500 dollars and has been sitting for 6 years"
your 16 and have had about 3 or 4 cars already?

im only 16 and still haven't bought a truck

but my dad says the same things to me, like "theres a reason that engine was rebuilt" and stuff like that.

but i'd go for the truck all the way

Old 10-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Personally, I'm a truck guy myself. But, I would be somewhat hesitant about getting that truck. I've always been told to stay away from old, lifted trucks like the one you are considering buying. All it will be, most likely, is a constant fix and headache. I've had the same experience with a jeep. it seems that every time you want to drive it, there is always something wrong with it. There is a reason someone put 40" tires and a lift on an old truck besides just to make it look cool. If I had to guess, this old truck has been through the mill. My advice would be that if you want a 4x4, get one that is still mostly factory and a little newer (perhaps try to find one with EFI) and modify it yourself. In the end, I think you will end up with a lot more reliable vehicle.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:48 PM
At the most, you're looking at 3 or 400 bucks for a complete engine rebuild, and once you do that, it won't ever run bad again. The truck is definitely the way to go!

Quick Reply: don't know what vechicle to buy!