PowerTrax No Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey wlf,
good luck with the install. i hope it works out nice for you. i'm waiting to hear about those 4.30's. btw, do you know if you can get the 4.30 for the front diff? i have considered going 4.56 for the low-end. i have always run 4.56, or 4.88, but i don't really need to go that low now. 4.30 would be about perfect for what i want. later, Rich

Old 03-07-2002, 10:08 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hikerrich,
Go to Randy's ring and pinion and get their 800 number. The can tell you if 430's are available for the front. BTW the Yukon gears were real quality pieces and well packed. Randy's complete install kit really impressed the installer.
I'll post something this weekend.

Old 03-07-2002, 05:04 PM
What I think no one here really understands is this:

The diff is inside the carrier. Most diffs come with a new carrier (containing the diff). The ring gear is mounted to the carrier (and thus the diff). You change the carrier (new diff) and you have to change the ring gear over. You move the ring gear, and you have to get everything re shimmed. You can't just switch them over, there is more to it than that.

This is why I went ahead and spent the $250 in parts to get 4.10 gears installed while I was installing the Auburn diff.

Old 03-07-2002, 09:00 PM
WLF
Jayntguru,
In my case the Powertrax unit fits inside the orriginal carrier. Even so when installing new gears they have to be re-shimmed. The larger the ratio, the thicker the gear the the smaller the pinion. There is also bearing preload and other things to do.... better left to someone who knows what they are doing. I think $250 was a great deal...

Old 03-07-2002, 11:18 PM
jayntguru,

i don't quite understand what you mean by no one understands how a differential is set-up. kind of a broad statement, don't you think?

Old 03-08-2002, 12:21 AM
There were many references in this thread to throwing in a new diff without re shimming anything. You can't do this if you swap the carrier, too. From what was just posted, it looks like the powertrax sits inside the stock carrier, so no shimming is necessary. But most of them (LSD, locker, etc) come with a new carrier and will require shimming as a result.

Old 03-08-2002, 02:44 AM
jay how do you like the auburn??

i bought an auburn posi and 4.10's and was wondering how you like it? any problems? is it loud-clicking? overall opinion. thanks. mitch

Old 03-08-2002, 02:14 PM
I posted what I think of it so far here.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=69334

Old 03-15-2002, 05:08 PM
Did anyone find a better price on the PowerTrax than from Macromotive?

Did you guys who never received yours get them? What did you think?

Old 03-15-2002, 08:44 PM
WLF
I think everyone has recieved their powertrax. The problem is the factory was waiting for some special hardened metal. I don't know who else has had theirs installed but I have posted my impressions on a seporate post (4.30 gears and powertrax installed). Again I can only say good things about the entire package.
I am not one to tell you I like something if I don't.

Old 04-14-2002, 12:04 PM
Thumbs up Powertrax

Finally rec'd Powertrax unit. Never did get a straight answer from Powertrax on what the holdup was... guess keeping the customer in the dark is part of the game.

Installed it with help from my brother-in-law... 30 minute job. I did NOT change gears, so it was pretty simple. Have put over 1000 miles on it since installation and must say that I am extremely happy with it. No more spinning the inside wheel when turning from a stop, even when wet. And both tires will sling gravel now. It's a bit different than the OE Ford L/S my old truck had, but much more effective! Unless you understand how the unit works and what's happening, you might think something was wrong in some situations, like when tromping the gas going around a corner. But if I wanted a Rolls Royce ride, I wouldn't have installed the L/S. Personally, I like the sound and feel of the tires grabbing! A very good quality product, with excellent installation instructions (good enough for a neophyte like me).

WLF has very eloquently posted the subtle nuances of this unit, and has represented them accurately in my opinion.

Old 04-14-2002, 12:39 PM
You think your all cool just because you didn't strip the head for the pinion shaft pin and then embed a drill bit in the middle trying to use easy-outs, don't ya. Well you're no better than me anyway. Enjoy the unit. I'm sure I'll enjoy mine when the professionals put mine in and fix my FUBAR come May 2.

Old 04-14-2002, 12:39 PM
so theres no driveability problems in the street? this is my biggest worry about it, since im on-road about 85% (sometimes towing) and i only off-road acouple of times in the summer, thats it.

Old 04-15-2002, 08:25 AM
WLF
Thanks bhost for the good word. I hope you enjoy your Powertrax as I have mine.
Yesterday as I pulled out in the rain in traffic, it came to mind that I did not have to worry if I would sit spinning as traffic approached me broadside, hoping for my LS to get enough traction to move me out of harms way.
My wheels grabbed and I was gone...

Quick Reply: PowerTrax No Slip Differential