PowerTrax No Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 10:41 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question PowerTrax No Slip Differential

Has anyone had any experiance with this differnetial? They claim The No-Slip Traction System uses SynTRAC technology and is the latest design in traction adding differentials. It provides the maximum traction of a locking differential combined with the smooth and quiet operation of a limited-slip device. In otherwords, no clicking or jerking when in corners.
Sounds like a nice locking rear. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge...

Old 01-08-2002, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wlf,

i've been watching for someone to reply to this thread, but no one has....anyway, i had a powertrax in a nissan i used to own, made it 4 wheel like a mad truck. i went places in 2whl that i used to have trouble in 4whl. i am planning on putting one in my ford. i want to change gears also and am waiting.

the one in the nissan did click and pop and you could feel it letting go around corners. just like a locker should feel. i haven't driven, or ridden, in anything with the new brands of soft lockers out. i hope someone will shed some light on this for both of us, Rich.

Old 01-09-2002, 01:28 PM
WLF
Hikerrich,
Powertrax claims the same performance as their old locker without the pop and click. Also no need for the special anti-friction additives. Sounds like a good deal to me.
I am ready for the gear change so I am checking pricing on the Powertrax unit. I'll let you know if I find a good deal. If you run across any deals, let me know...

Old 01-09-2002, 08:06 PM
I did a fair bit of Q&A with the experts, here and elsewhere before ordering Powertrax's no-slip locker for my 2WD F-150. Everything I could gleen from the experts (self-proclaimed and otherwise) pointed towards the Powertrax being the best quality unit for anything short of extreme off-road applications.

I wish I could say that I've found this to be true, but alas, I cannot. On the other hand, I can't say it won't end well either, because it's not over yet. I've had a unit on order for 5 weeks now (from Jegs) and each time I call to inquire about the status of my order, Jegs calls Powertrax while I wait on hold. And each time they come back with a different story from Powertrax. First, it was a couple weeks, then 2 weeks later they were building my particular unit that very day, and in two more weeks Powertrax said they couldn't give a ship date at all.

Last week I wrote Powertrax an e-mail directly asking if this just a hiccup in the manufacturing chain, or if it's an indication of financial trouble with the company. I have yet to receive a response to this inquiry.

I would genuinely like to receive the unit I ordered, as I still think that Powertrax makes (or made) the best behaved no-slip unit available for daily street driving.

Will advise of any new developments when they occur.

Old 01-10-2002, 08:40 AM
WLF
Bhost,
Did your truck come with the limited slip from the factory? From what I can see there are different part numbers for the open 8.8 rear and the limited slip. Also I see 27 and 31 spline. How do you know which one. If you have part numbers that would also help. I want to order and have this locker and gears before contacting anyone for an install.
I will certainly keep in mind what you are going thru. I will look for a dealer that has one in stock.
I found an article yesterday which shows this to be quite a good rear. I will find the web address and post it.

Old 01-10-2002, 08:49 AM
WLF
The web page is

http://rockcrawler.com/techreports/powertrax_tj/

The last page with the results of the install is especially good.
have fun

Old 01-10-2002, 10:23 AM
Would this...

Last weekend, I was pulling a trailer and I got into a situation where the driver's side wheel (I only have a 4x2) started slipping. I had to have a guy stand on the bumper on the driver's side to get enough traction to pull the trailer out.

So my question is this: Would going to something like this system prevent my 4x2 from having this happen again? I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I've never been towing much before with a 4x2 and the problem just came up for the first time with my truck. Had a problem like this towing with a Pathfinder before, but putting it into 4 wheel drive low yanked the trailer right out.

Thanks for any advice...

Old 01-10-2002, 12:12 PM
WLF
Rapier,
That is exactly what this is suppose to do. Read the article and see how they tested the rear.

Old 01-12-2002, 01:23 AM
27 spline axle count on 8.8 Ford diff. is for front diff. on 4 X 4.

Old 01-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Does anyone know if they ever got around to releasing the 9.75 version?

I would love a Powertrax for my truck but last I heard they only are making them for the 8.8...

Old 01-12-2002, 11:46 PM
WLF
gearmanx17,
Does that mean the rear dif is 31 spline? My truck is the 2x4 with tow package.

Old 01-14-2002, 12:19 AM
WLF, Your Truck has 31-spline axle shaft's.

Old 01-14-2002, 08:12 AM
guys who have tried powertrax already,
is it streetable? how streetable? im looking for good traction, but i spend 90% of my driving in the highway changing lanes at high speeds and taking sharp turns around town. would it be a bad idea for me to get a powertrax? should i just get a regular LS instead? thanks!

Old 01-14-2002, 03:45 PM
I really liked the article on the No SLip PowerTrax. I'm leaning in that direction. I am still kind of confused about the whole spline thing. I have a 1995 F150 4x4. I have a Data 44 IFS in the front and a Ford 8.8 in the rear. How do I find out about the splines? Thanks to all who have been posting.

Old 01-14-2002, 08:37 PM
UrbanCowboy,

Your 1995 F-150, rear diff. should be 31-spline. I can't remember the spline count on the Dana 44, IFS (front).

To my knowledge, all F-150's with 8.8" rear diff. have 31-spline axle shafts. All 1997 & newer 8.8" (OEM Ford) front axle's should have 27-spline axle shaft.

I do not know how streetable the Powertrax is; however, one of my coworkers (who moved East, from Southern California), has nothing but good reviews for the Powertrax. He noted that the Powertrax is very popular in Southern California.

Quick Reply: PowerTrax No Slip Differential