PowerTrax No Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 04:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i ordered an auborn posi on thursday. i hope it works like the powertrax cause im tired of spinning that damn inside tire. i have an open diff also and it really sucks when you have 35" tires and people in hondas and mustangs are pulling out of the snow and im getting stuck. no more.

Old 02-20-2002, 07:35 PM
levi1998

I frequently have driven my uncle's truck which has Powertrax (I myself have a Ford LS on my F-150 4x4), and there will be no difference whatsoever in slippery conditions (i.e. rain, ice and snow are a different story) as long as you don't throttle in a turn. Actually, I would say although I'm sure the Powertrax will have you break loose earlier scientifically, I sure can't tell the difference and it seems they both break loose just as easy (my Ford LS and my uncle's Powertrax). Maybe that's because it doesn't take much torque at the inside wheel to break loose in rain on pavement.

Just in case you're wondering, I hit an empty parking lot in the afternoon after it rained, I'm not some nutso attempting to break loose in open traffic. It sure is fun spinning around in a split second though...wheeeeee!

Now dry street driving, I definitely can tell it's in there, but like you said, nothing bad about it.

Old 02-26-2002, 01:40 PM
Well it certainly didnt ship by the end of the week. As of yesterday they claim it went out last Friday

Old 02-26-2002, 03:03 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UrbanCowboy,
You need to raise h*ll. I ordered mine on 2/19 and my wife called today and said it was delivered to my house. I just have wait until I get home to verify it is the correct one for my truck. Did you order the one for the limited slip rear or the open rear? Mine was for the limited slip rear. They are different.

Old 02-28-2002, 08:46 AM
WLF
Angry

Well how do you like this?
Here I have my powertrax unit in hand and I cant find anyone here willing to install it. The only shop that will take it on wants to charge by the hour QUOTE "No matter how many hours it takes". When I first inquired they had a price and seemed willing. Now they will not give a fixed price. They said they have tried to install two in the past, one they could not get in (and still charged the customer for the hours) and the other one took 4 hrs to install.
I have contacted both Macromotive (where I bought it) and Powertrax for help. I may need to return it. Good thing I used my visa...
Seems you guys on the West Coast have it made as far as specialty shops go.
Any one want to buy my powertrax at cost???????

Old 02-28-2002, 11:20 AM
It's not the PowerTrax that's the problem I think. It's just that setting up the clearances in the rear end is a specialized thing. You will have to do this with any LSD that replaces the carrier.

Old 02-28-2002, 11:28 AM
WLF
I found one guy who says he can do the install. I am waiting for a price.

I know rear gears have to be set up and the shop has to specialize in doing that kind of work. They are all willing to install the gears. They just don't want to install the Powertrax unit.

I'll see what this guy can do for me. He comes highly recomended by one of the local 4x4 clubs...

Old 02-28-2002, 11:44 AM
Is there something about the Limited Slip unit that is more complex than the Open Diff Version? I don't expect to take longer than an hour and a half to install mine at home. And yes, I finally got mine 40 days after ordering. Unfortunately, I dont expect I'll find any time to do the work until late march. I hate college.

Last edited by UrbanCowboy; 02-28-2002 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:49 AM
urban cowboy,
so youre saying that the instructions are easy enough so that you can install it at home by yourself? if so, that wuld be great, that means i might not have to pay for an install when i get mine.

Old 02-28-2002, 11:56 AM
Installing the locker looks to take like a half an hour. It only takes longer because of all the other stuff you have to do to get in and out of the pumpkin in the first place. Oh, and I'm replacing an axle seal while I'm down there. IF you look at the Power Trax No Slip webpage, it says that the company can install one in 5-minutes since they know what they are doing. Maybe the Limited Slip Version is more difficult. *shrug*

Last edited by UrbanCowboy; 02-28-2002 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:08 PM
WLF
It does look easy as far as the instructions go but I am going to pay someone to install the Ring and Pinion anyway so I can't see doing it myself. I don't have the tools to install and set-up the ring and pinion.
I don't think the L/S version is any harder, just a different carrier.
Like I said, I'll see what the price is.
**I will tell you guys this, I contacted Macromotive and they will take my return without question. THATS SERVICE.**

Old 02-28-2002, 04:16 PM
So you're having someone do the Ring and Pinion for a reason other than the Powertrax No Slip? I would highly suggest having someone do the Ring and Pinion first, put it all back together, and then do the No Slip at home yourself. It is way easy. I don't see why you would return it just because you have to take a couple hours to install it yourself.

If you're messing with the ring and pinion just because you're installing a No Slip, there is no reason for that. I would assume you have an alterior motive for changing the ring and pinion but I know very little in that department.

Old 03-01-2002, 10:04 AM
WLF
Truth is that it made me think twice when NO-ONE wanted to put in the Power-trax unit. I am past that. I am doing the ring and pinion to 410 or possible 430 gears to get the Truck into it's power and torque band at highway speeds. With the 430 rear the rpms will be about 2000 at 60MPH. This will give good towing characteristics without really killing the milage. In fact, when towing I should get better milage. It should also really improve the off line performance
I just cant see having the rear done and then going home and opening everything up again (new fluid and under the truck work) after just paying someone to open the rear anyway. I think I will find someone and I am going to stay with the powertrax.

Old 03-03-2002, 10:20 PM
WLF
OK guys, got a good quote of $350-$400 max for the install. That includes the ring and pinion, all bearings including axle, new seals and installation of the powertrax unit. This is a labor price only and I think it is fair.
I ordered 4.30 ring and pinion from Randy's ring and pinion. Also got the delux install kit and axle bearings and seals. Total was under $300 for Yukon parts, also a fair price.
I'll let you know when all is said and done. I want to break in the ring and pinion correctly so I probably won't push it too hard at first (if I can help it).

Old 03-06-2002, 08:12 PM
WLF
Dropped the truck off at the shop today. Will pick it up on friday. I'll have something to report by the weekend.

Quick Reply: PowerTrax No Slip Differential