questions/build thread for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nah, reverse that. 99-01 (part of 02 from my understanding) used D50 on SRW axle equipped trucks, DRW had D60 no matter what.

02-04 (maybe 05?) were the only SRW Leaf sprung D60's

pre 99, I thought for a fair amount of time they still used drum brakes but wasnt sure. I wouldnt mind the D50, but the aftermarket selection BLOWS....

Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
interesting project

Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klitch
nah, reverse that. 99-01 (part of 02 from my understanding) used D50 on SRW axle equipped trucks, DRW had D60 no matter what.

02-04 (maybe 05?) were the only SRW Leaf sprung D60's

pre 99, I thought for a fair amount of time they still used drum brakes but wasnt sure. I wouldnt mind the D50, but the aftermarket selection BLOWS....
oh ok.

no D50 they arent work the hassel.

D60 is the only way to go.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Im rolling down the same road .. i ahve my parts ordered just waiting for them to get here then i will have tons of pics of the swap
D60 rear from an 82' f250

4.88 yukon gears
eaton 15" 8x6.5 conversion wheels
master install kit
detriot locker

all on the way....and i relized im really an impatient person lol

still lookin for a front i really want to keep the coils in the front but i want something like a D60 .. and so far it lookin like i have to swap in springs

Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 PM
alright guys....seems i have run into a problem...not sure if it is related to what i just did but seems kinda odd that it happens now. lol

so today i have been driving around and i could hear someting...not really a grinding sound really but more of like the sound that the brakes make if the pads are just rubbing on the rotors the whole time....but i doubt thats it. then i can also hear a clicking kind of noise that almost sounds like a rock in my tire. the sound changes with my speed. and from what i can tell, i have no rocks in any of my tires. so anyways the problem is that i cant turn left...only when stopped. when i am moving i can turn both ways with no problem and it doesnt pull either way. but when i am stopped, i turn the wheel to the left and it barely turns the wheel then stops...no whining or anything of that sort...just feels like when you turn the wheels all the way lock either way. seems kind of odd to me. but i can turn right with no problems at all.

so another problem i have just noticed by looking at all this, is on the passenger side, the truck is sitting lower...when this happened i dont know but i just noticed it tonight. when the wheels are straight, i probably have 4 inches between my tire and the bumper on the left....but on the right i have almost 7 inches between the tire and the bumper...seems like a big difference i would have noticed before.

so anyways, tomorrow i am going to jack up the truck and see if i can diagnose it somehow but i wanted to see if any of yall following me on here would have an idea.

thanks for any help yall can offer

p.s. thanks for all the compliments guys.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:55 PM
sound iffy, im not sure what it could be.

I had a stud come loose and it was tapping on the cast steering knuckle. but this was the front end. Your rear end should do that.

not sure about the turning issue either.

let me know what you find out.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Steering issue, Guess its a bind, check your vacuum system, and the actuator. it may be not fully retracting the linkage/fork. otherwise I would have to say there may be an actual problem with the PS system.

if the clicking is coming from the rear, pull the cover and check the ring gears retaining bolts, also the pinion cross pin. I had clicks before a big THUD of the bolts being broke off my ring gear. different axle I know, but really sucks to fix.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:20 AM
KLITCH: PM sent

Old 02-03-2010, 01:48 PM
ok as for clicking...i feel stupid now but there was one rock on the tire but it was more to the inside of the tire and i looked right over it. lol

but as for steering, i got in the truck today and held it as far left as it would go and rolled forward slowly and then all of a sudden it just turned fine...and now it appears to be turning fine...not sure why but something must have been in a bind. i am still going to check everything under the truck today to make sure everything is fine and see if i can find the source of this bind so it doesnt happen again.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 PM
hope it aint nothin major ... always hate to see a downed rig (for mechanical issues)

Old 02-03-2010, 11:26 PM
ok once again feel a little stupid but SO thankful! i jacked up the truck to see what i could figure out...didnt find anything with the steering issue and its not happening anymore so not sure whats up with that. BUT...while i had it in the air, i found that one of my spacers were loose. so i had to get that taken care off...might have been the noises i was hearing. and of course i put the tires on with an impact but i dont have an impact with me so i called up my cousin and asked him to bring his portable compressor and impact gun to help me out. got it all tightened up...now i hope it stays that way. lol hopefully if i have time this weekend, i am going to put lock tite on the lugs.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 PM
uh. No... you shouldnt ever need loctite on the wheel studs threads..

Old 02-04-2010, 12:08 AM
i was going to put it on the ones that hold the spacer on...the must have come loose for some reason. i had one guy tell me to put loctite on them...is it a bad idea?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:34 AM
my bad, I spaced the spacers

Those wouldnt be such a bad idea since your wanting to keep them on, BUT you need to torque them down correctly before you move to trying that. Theres not a whole lot wrong with the idea of using loctite, but I'm leery of there being an underlying problem causing them to back off in the first place.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:36 AM
haha yeah...well i am not sure...i didnt do that side...my buddy did that side while i did my side so maybe he forgot to hit them with the impact? i dont really know. i guess maybe i will see how this goes first...the spacers wont actually come off because the second plate on the spacer covers the lugs from the first so there is no way for them to back out completely. they will just become loose like they were today.

Quick Reply: questions/build thread for my truck