questions/build thread for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well its a crappy picture and i dont know how to rotate it. lol but here it is done. i will try and get some more pictures tonight, it wasnt quite dark yet when i took this one.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:47 PM
nice!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 AM
thanks! them suckers are surprisingly bright at night. lol

Old 05-23-2010, 03:10 AM
well once again nothing contributing to my main "build" that i set this thread up for. lol still savin up the cash.

BUT this did just come in the mail

following that shortly should be white overlays for the guages...and lots and lots of LEDs

Old 05-23-2010, 12:55 PM
great thread man!! I am looking to do this on my 02 screw. i want to use superduty axles b/c I want rear discs and keep the same bolt pattern all- around and still and I want to keep it all Ford stuff-no offence for using the chebby 14 bolt.If I did go w/ 8" of lift and ran 37/12.50/17 for tires would it look too small?Also i want wanting to run the superduty coil type suspension on the front like the 05-present sd's have or would it be better to do leaves up front?

Old 05-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by wookie13
great thread man!! I am looking to do this on my 02 screw. i want to use superduty axles b/c I want rear discs and keep the same bolt pattern all- around and still and I want to keep it all Ford stuff-no offence for using the chebby 14 bolt.If I did go w/ 8" of lift and ran 37/12.50/17 for tires would it look too small?Also i want wanting to run the superduty coil type suspension on the front like the 05-present sd's have or would it be better to do leaves up front?
well by far i am no expert at this...i am still learning as i go on here as well. there are some other guys on here that know A LOT more than i do...and they would be the ones to ask but i will see what i can tell ya...im sure if i am wrong...the SAS gods will come and correct me lol

the problem with some of the newer superduty axles is how they have a unit bearing and they dont take nicely to bigger tires....i have been told shouldnt be using bigger than 35s...u need the older axles. and the reasons i used a chebby axle, is its pure strength, after market support for parts...and my buddy had one laying around and cheap price. lol

i think it would look fine...i have somewhere around 10" of lift on 38s right now.

and if you could set up a 4 link coil system, that would be sweet but for me, the simplicity and ease of getting the axle in, i am just doing leaves up front. its preference and if you have the know-how and ability to do one or the other.

hope this helps you out some but for more detailed (and possibly more correct) answers, you should talk to 4.2trimble...he has been great help to me so far (thanks again man). and klitch...i believe he is doing newer superduty axles as well so he could help ya out as well. not to mention other people that are knowledable. good luck man.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:02 AM
got another package in the mail today here is what i did with it

cool white LED strips that are wired to turn on with the dome light (open doors or just turning the switch)

also wired up some red LED strips that are just on a toggle switch for me to turn on whenever.

also changed out license plate lights with LEDs

then the door lights as well

and last but certainly not least, all 3 lights in the dome light

i know they arent the best of pictures but thats what i got for right now...took me all of about 2 hrs...most of that was finding and wiring up the white strips to turn on with the dome light. haha i am very pleased...now i am just waiting for my white guages to show up so i can do my cluster. also plan on doing the head light switch and finishing the locks/window buttons.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:05 PM
ok everything looked good on it so i went ahead and got it...just needs rust work...everything seems to just be surface rust...nothing too bad. rotors look like they can just be cleaned up...a lot of the rust was coming off by me just rubbing it with my finger and bare metal came up. not sure if i can use the leaf springs or not but the guy thinks it was a 4" lift...it has the name brand on the leafs...but honestly i dont remember what it was...and the garage is too far to go look.

anyways, here are some pictures...tomorrow i am probably gonna open it all up and take a real good look at everything and see if i can determine how much work it needs.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Old 07-10-2010, 02:35 AM
well the axle is well on its way...i have it mostly cleaned up. got a little more rust to take care of but it is completely taken apart. found it has 4.56 gears in it but all the bearings and seals need to be replaced but other than that, everything seems to be in good condition. but that project requires a little more cash so i side stepped a little to something else that i have been wanting to do for a while...my head liner! my old one had holes in it and was falling off in the front. but why just replace it? lol i did the camo head liner. i picked the same pattern that my seat covers are and my steering wheel so it all matches. i dont have it in the truck yet...thats for tomorrow. but here is a pic of it done on my table.

i think tomorrow, my whole dash is coming apart. lol

Old 07-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Looks good man!!

Old 07-11-2010, 03:53 AM
thanks! well i got another update. was pretty busy today. lol

here is the head liner installed and everything:

i also decided to do my guages...and i bit the bullet and took the needles off. everything appears to be back in its spot. lol

i used some fine sand paper to sand the color off of all the numbers because i have red LEDs that i am putting on. i dont have a night picture of it yet though. here is what it looked like after finishing the tach:

and then i put my white guage overlays on. overall im impressed with them but i think they could have done alittle better job and matching the numbers...had a little issue getting them to match perfectly but it turned out ok. cant really tell and it did half way cover up the ABS light on mine and it covered up the high beam indicator. ABS doesnt really bother me because i disconected that light bulb so i dont have to look at it any more. lol the high beams is a little inconvienient but i think you can see it shine through a little at night but oh well.
here is what it looked like:

and i got some more plans for tomorrow...the dash still isnt put back together yet

had a kevin fowler concert so the truck had to be put on hold at about 6. lol

Old 07-12-2010, 06:38 PM
here is my next update of what the weekend yielded for me. lol here is a picture of the cluster at night...has some hot spots but not bad...especially being that i had 2 bulbs burnt out to start with so it was hard to see my high rpms and some of the small guages before. overall im very pleased with it.

and here is a crappy picture but this is the light in the air vents. decided to do this while i had it all taken apart. i like it because it isnt overpowering but it is noticable. i will try and get some more pictures of everything with an actual camera.

let me know what yall think

Old 07-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
what was the headliner made of? was it cotton or polyester?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 AM
cotton. if it were polyester, it isnt stretchy so it would bunch up on the curves rather than conform to it.

Quick Reply: questions/build thread for my truck