LS question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS question

I have a 2001 4X4 F150 Supercab 4.6L and was wondering how to stop the right rear wheel from spinning when it is wet? I hate that my truck spins off to the right when I am on a wet hill. Even if I give gas slowly, it still spins a little. I know 4X4 would stop the problem but I don't usually drive in four wheel drive. Is there any product I can buy that would stop the tire spin? Do I need to oil something? I am totally lost.

Old 05-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Try lightly applying the brake. Helps even the forces, and lets the clutches do their job...

Old 05-28-2003, 07:04 PM
A light right foot will fix the problem. This is the nature of this beast, if you want a LS you gotta deal with this. I don't think I'd reccommend using the brakes all the time like that. Reason being is that you'll go through brakes alot, will hurt your mpg, and will put more stress on your driveline. Just don't mash the pedal when you're driving.

Old 05-29-2003, 09:13 AM
Are you sure you have Limited Slip? If so maybe there is a problem with it. From my experience if your right tire is spinning then the left tire should get the traction thus stopping the right from just spinning.

I am not an expert, but it sounds like either you do not have limited slip or if you do there is a problem with it.

Old 05-29-2003, 01:43 PM
I thought my truck had Limited Slip but I could be wrong. If the truck doesn't have LS then I should lightly apply the brake when accelerating from a wet hill? Thanks for all your replies

Old 06-03-2003, 04:22 PM
It sounds to me like you do have the LS.

Are you sure it's just your right wheel spinning?

If your rig slides to the right when you step on it a little it's usually because both rear wheels are spinning. If just the right wheel was spinning the left wheel would tend to keep the rear end anchored and it would not slide out.

The next time you feel the rear end start to slide to the right try letting off the throttle then EASING back into it. You will feel the clutches engage and you might be good to go.

Another thing that'll help is a couple hundred pounds of something in the bed over the rear axle. No matter what kind of rear end you have if the tires won't grab you ain't going anywhere.

Old 06-04-2003, 01:15 PM
You may want to replace the tires. The Goodyears that come with our trucks do no justice at all. Mine spin in wet weather even on flat ground with just a touch of the throttle. They have done that since new.

Old 06-04-2003, 03:22 PM
I agree with crashz, you need different tires. If you're still running the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires that came on your truck, they have VERY poor wet traction. On every vehicle I've had them on they've spun on wet pavement no matter how light I was on the throttle. They were also horrible about hydroplaning, even at low speeds.

If you have LS, the tag on your rear axle will have an L next to the ratio. You can also jack up the rear and turn one of the rear tires by hand. If the other tire turns in the same direction, you have LS, if it turns the opposite direction, you do not have LS.

Even an LS axle will spin only one wheel if there is significant traction difference between the rear wheels. That's why its called "Limited" Slip and not "NO" Slip. It just takes a greater traction difference to allow it to slip.

Old 06-09-2003, 02:07 PM
I had my Goodyear tires w/60,000 mi (and plenty of tread depth left) "siped" at Discount Tire. It made a huge difference in wet traction. It only cost $4/tire and they said they'd apply that money to new tires if I wasn't happy w/results.

Siping a tire is done by cutting slits in the center tread blocks.

Old 06-12-2003, 08:53 AM
A little weight in the back will do wonders too. I use about 250 to 300lb over stock.

Quick Reply: LS question