Tailgate Net

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2000, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tailgate Net

I bought a tailgate net for my 2000 F150 a few months ago but haven't put it on yet. A few reasons:

1. I have a bedliner that makes it difficult to mount the hooks. Has anyone else installed a net on a F150 (1999-2000 model) that has a bedliner? Should I just drill right through the bedliner and into the bed to mount the screws?

2. I am weary (as a first-time truck owner) about drilling holes in my bed. Should I worry about sealing the area at all to prevent rust, or is OK to just drill screws into your bed without worries?

Thanks in advance!
Duke

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, 4x2, 4.6L automatic Supercab, Styleside, Blue with gold two-tone, 3.55 slip axle, class III towing package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, med parchment leather interior, in dash CD, Ford/Duraliner bedliner, Ford chrome nerf bars, Ford bug deflector, Steel Horse billet grille, Leer hard tonneau cover, K&N air filter

Old 01-18-2000, 05:50 PM
J-C
Duke,
What's the net to be used for? There have been rumors for years that a net will "improve your mileage". Ford and GM both did wind tunnel tests on their trucks about a year ago and have found that their truck's mileage is:
BEST with the tailgate up.
LESS with the tailgate down.
WORST with a net installed in place of the tailgate.

Maybe some others here can remember the web-site with the test results...

If you just want to keep stuff from sliding out - ignore the above.

Good luck and just drill away...

Old 01-18-2000, 05:54 PM
Cool

What happened to the tailgate that would make you want to put one of those tacky (my opinion) nets on? I sure hope somebody didn't mislead you into believing that it will help gas mileage, it doesn't. Nets actually create much more drag than having the tailgate on. Wind tunnel tests have proven that the best mileage is achieved with the tailgate installed in the closed position.

------------------
Michael
99f150@pickupman.com
mkrieger@mailcity.com
99 F-150 XLT Supercab, 4x2, Bright Red/Harvest Gold, 4.2L, Automatic, 3.55LS, 255/70R16 Goodyears, Captains Chairs, Keyless Entry, CD Changer, Tow Package

Accessories: SuperChip, Donnelly Compass Mirror, Lariat Wheelwell Moldings and Bumper Cap, Ford Splash Guards, Bug Shield, Bed Mat, WeatherTech Deflectors, Mobil1 Synthetic Oil

Modifications: Painted Tailgate Handle, A/C on/off switch

Old 01-18-2000, 06:01 PM
Wink

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! The reason for the net is this: I have a hard tonneau cover that isn't real easy to remove. I also like to surf with longboards that are 9' or longer, so they don't fit completely inside the bed. I can't just leave the tonneau cover open an inch or two because it's impossible (it's either all the way open or all the way closed). So, someone suggested that I get a tailgate net so I can keep the tonneau cover closed, put the tailgate down and still keep the boards from flying out. Who knows--maybe there is a better solution out there! I'm all ears...

Hang 10,
Duke

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, 4x2, 4.6L automatic Supercab, Styleside, Blue with gold two-tone, 3.55 slip axle, class III towing package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, med parchment leather interior, in dash CD, Ford/Duraliner bedliner, Ford chrome nerf bars, Ford bug deflector, Steel Horse billet grille, Leer hard tonneau cover, K&N air filter

Old 01-18-2000, 06:41 PM
Thumbs up

Duke
Check this out. AMP Reaserch makes a bed extender that you mount in the rear of your bed, flip it out and it will give you about 1.5 feet of storage room.Leave it flipped in and it is a good place to store small items in your bed.It retails for $195.00 but you can find it for less. there web page is http://www.amp-research.com

[This message has been edited by Don C (edited 01-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Don C (edited 01-18-2000).]

Old 01-18-2000, 06:48 PM
Exclamation

Don C, that actually sounds pretty cool--I think I've seen them before (looks like bars?). I tried to go to that website but got "This site is currently under construction". I'll look around, but if you know the correct page please let me know! Nevermind... I see you have corrected the URL!! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Duke (edited 01-18-2000).]

Old 01-18-2000, 08:44 PM
Unhappy

Well after some review of my two new options (and grabbing a measuring tape) to stuff surfboards into my truck I've come to the realization that neither will work because my boards are too long! The bed itself is around 6' and with the bed extender, it would give me a little bit more than 8'. My longest board is 9'6"! So, I either need to find a way to get my Leer hard tonneau cover to stay only partially open, or invent some bungie-slingshot aparatus to hold the boards into the bed!

Old 01-18-2000, 08:48 PM
Duke,
You might want to check on some State laws too. Seems like alot saw no to nets. Something inside to keep everything from sliding around would be nice though.

Old 01-18-2000, 08:59 PM
Thumbs up

I just spoke with my local Leer dealership and they said that I *could* tie down the tonneau cover such that the boards cleared the tailgate (if only a few inches open), but he had a better suggestion--using something I already had.

His suggestion was to close the tonneau cover, open the tailgate, and put a cargo bar (which I have) a good 10" up toward the back and tie the boards down to that so they didn't slide out. He also suggested I put some pads around the bar so that the boards didn't get damaged. So, I think I'll try this method. It doesn't cost me anything and will probably work better than any other solution I've seen.

Surfin' with my F-150,
Duke

Old 01-19-2000, 07:18 PM
J-C
Thumbs up

Here's a thought...
Put your stuff into the bed - all except the boards, close the tailgate, close the hard tonneau mount the boards on TOP of the hard tonneau - fins pointed up, of course.
Good luck - and happy surfing!

Old 01-19-2000, 11:38 PM
Smile

J-C--thanks for the tip, but I'd rather not scratch up my glossy tonneau! I've actually seen a tonneau cover on a truck with a roof rack mounted on it... didn't look very good!

------------------

Old 01-20-2000, 10:39 PM
Duke, have you tried taking your stop cables on the tail gate and loop them up over the metal barrels on each side of the bed, where the tail gate closes.
Go out and look at the inside of the bed where tail gate comes up, you'll see them, they're round/washer ends.

This lets your tail gate open up about 8" or so...Good Luck

------------------
fordyfour

2000 4X2 Flareside Lariat S/C
5.4,3.55 Ls
Tow Package
True duals, K&N Filter
Super White Headlamps

Old 01-20-2000, 11:44 PM
Thumbs up

fordyfour, you are a genius! I knew there was a reason why I kept coming back to this website. I just went out to my truck and tried it--put both cables up over the barrels on the sides and closed my tonneau... plenty of clearance! This solution can work well with many other things, too, I can imagine. So, next time I head out with my boards I'll be able to test this simple solution and reserve the cargo bar if for some reason it doesn't work out (I can't see why it wouldn't as this solution is even better!). This way I don't even have to mess with a cargo bar that has come un-done in the past and risk anything.

Wow--thanks again!

--Duke

------------------

Old 01-21-2000, 12:24 AM
J-C
Thanks for the update! A roof rack on a tonneau cover is what I had in mind. I'd never seen one.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Net