Radio removal tool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radio removal tool?

Radio tool? : What is this radio tool needed for? I'm trying to install a cd player and I can't figure out how to get the radio out. I've heard about a special radio removal tool and y'all here seem to know alot about F-150s, so if someone could give me some clues on what to do, I'd appreciate it. Is the radio removal tool necessary , or is there another way of getting it out?

Old 12-27-2001, 05:10 PM
heres a thread you might find handy... https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=56754
If you know what your doing you could probably just bend a clothes hanger to the right bend and so forth, but its best to have the tool, its only a few bucks...

Old 12-27-2001, 05:19 PM
Matt, thanks, that was a big help

That gave me a better idea for what I was looking for. I assume that the tool goes into the 4 holes in the radio face, and that the tool must have some kind of angle on it that must be pushed outward. Is the tool only available at a dealer or is it something that is at any auto parts store? Does it go into each hole separately, or all four at the same time?

Old 12-27-2001, 05:29 PM
actually it is a u-shaped tool, one for each side (so two tools). This page here is actually on how to install an mp3 player but the first few steps are removing the old one, it has some good pictures:
http://www.evisteon.com/b2c/mp3_Instructions.pdf

Old 12-27-2001, 05:37 PM
You're da man !!!!

Thanks Matt, that's what I needed to know. I'll try the coat hanger idea, and if that doesn't work, I'll try and locate the tool. That was a great link to that page, thanks again.

Old 12-27-2001, 06:25 PM
coat hanger works

It only took a couple of minutes of getting the feel for it . It worked great. Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2001, 10:54 PM
Smile

I recently purchased the radio removal tool from the audio (automotive) department at the local Wal-Mart. It was $3.99 (U.S.).

Radio was out in less than 10 seconds, using the tool. Unsucessful attemp was made by Me with (4) finish nails. I was afraid I would scar up the face of the radio--using the finish nails.

If you do a search on radio removal, here in the other audio forum, You should be able to find the part# on the radio removal tool.

Old 12-28-2001, 01:37 PM
$4 at Wal-Mart

I also got my set from Wal-Mart for about $4.

Here is a link to a a PDF document. On page 3 is a good illustration of how to use these 2 bend pieces of chrome wire!

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/FLM/PDF/356017.pdf

Old 12-28-2001, 02:26 PM
by the way when I bought the visteon in-dash mp3 player, it came with the tools to remove the old deck.

Quick Reply: Radio removal tool?