how do I remove my head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do I remove my head unit?

ok keep in mind I am a stereo idiot when describing this to me. Luckily I"m not doing any sort of a fancy headunit, just putting in the ford in-dash 6-disk changer. The mod to the inside I think I can handle, it's getting the stock deck out that I'm having trouble with.
I picked up the tool I supposedly need (u-shaped device) but I insert it and I was under the impression that that would unlock it and I'd be able to remove the deck... what else do I have to do? I remove the piece of the dash surrounding the deck, but upon inserting the tools in the holes its still just as tight as it was before. Do I need to remove the black piece of plastic that surrounds the deck and the heater controls?
I guess if I can't figure it out I'll end up taking it to a local stereo shop and have them yank it out, but Iwant to figure out to do things on my own, LOL.

Old 11-15-2001, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matt,
Push the clips in just far enough to feel a slight click but don`t push all the way in. The idea is just to insert them enough to release the clips but not push the tool in far enough that it spreads them open. It took me awhile(20 min) the first time till I realized I was pushing the tool too far in. You just need to remove the surround with the vents around the radio and thats it.

Old 11-15-2001, 09:31 PM
6-disc....

Will that deck fit into your dash w/o mods? I thought you had to cut the supports to fit those. Just curious....
Doc

Old 11-15-2001, 09:34 PM
according to the thread talked about earlier "it was called "whats the correct part number for visteon 6-disk" or something like that, says I should need to cut out part of the plastic in there, but nothing else.... we'll see once I test it out .

Old 11-15-2001, 09:41 PM
ok so I put insert the tool until I hear the click... then did you remove it by grasping the tools or the faceplate or what?

Old 11-16-2001, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by mattadams
ok so I put insert the tool until I hear the click... then did you remove it by grasping the tools or the faceplate or what?
Matt,

. . . put slight pressure on each tool, toward the outside, while keeping the pressure on pull toward you . . .

Old 11-16-2001, 04:14 PM
swampview, excellent! Thanks for the tip! Outward pressure did the trick! Got it out and I can definately see whats ahead of me now as far as grinding that part out of there. I tried removing the head unit a few times just to make sure I could do it, outward pressure was all it took . Here i'd been struggling with it for several night, trying to squeeze the tool together or see if it needed to be pushed in further or trying to squeeze inwards, but all it took was outwards . now I can't wait until mr. ups brings my new 6-disk in-dash cd changer!

Quick Reply: how do I remove my head unit?