Lincoln Blackwood & Mark LT

Blackwood Tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2000, 03:03 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Blackwood Tailgate

I've been trying to think of one useful application for the 'Dutch Door' tailgate and it just escapes me. Is it just a gimmick for an expensive vehicle? It would seem you lose 25% of flat load space and the potential use of the 'cargo cage' the SuperCrew and SportTrac have just to avoid reaching past an open tailgate.

A 'Better' idea would have been a tailgate like the old LTD wagons had. It would swing down or swing out like a door. Different, expensive, everything Blackwood wants to be.

If Ford uses this idea, I only want 1/3 of 1 percent.

$60,000 X .333 X 5,000 units = 1 Million
U.S. currency, please)

Old 09-14-2000, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raoul, another good idea! I need to get you a job. Not sure why dutch doors became the gate of choice, but a gate like you mentioned would have been equally cool.

Oh by the way, production may be earlier than you think and where did you get $60k as the going price?

M. Schneider
Lincoln Blackwood Chassis Engineering
Ford Motor Co.

Old 09-15-2000, 04:35 AM
Cool

Hey!
I want a job with Ford!
Don't realy care what it is, juts as long as it's with Ford and it pays decent, and I get a company Blackwood. *S*

Old 09-15-2000, 04:37 AM
I would think that if you had a handle on the inside of the tailgate, it would be a great thing to have dutch doors. The we would see custom trucks with "french door tailgates" and they could sell, instead of bumper stickers, little "do not disturb" signs. Also, it would be great if you had some dutch stiff, and you wanted to be as real as possible while hauling it.

Old 09-16-2000, 09:00 AM
Really Old "Member"
Thumbs up

Micheal S.:

You are truly a brave man to come so far out of the closet and identify yourself as a Ford employee!! There are lots of you on this BB, but most remain incognito.

Seriously, my wife Pat cannot wait for the Blackwood and for her '98 Continental to come off lease which will be a year from next month.

She enjoys the Lincoln, but it doesn't "haul" much and she keeps having to get me to fetch stuff for her with my Lightning. She has gotten big time into gardening, by the way. She likes the Lightning, but it is too trucky and too street roddy for her. Also noisy, the way I have set it up.

As to the Dutch Doors that Raoul mentions, that baffles me too and seems to be more a marketing gimmick than anything else. Hauling a long, tall plant, which she does often, would seem to require having both the lower part open and both upper doors open and flapping in the breeze. I'm sure there is a locking mechanism in the open position, but you know what I mean.

As to price, my Pat is an expensive lady and only drives the top of the line. From what I read, a totally optioned Blackwood would run pretty close to Raoul's number when you add in the gas guzzler and luxury taxes if those are still out there in a year or so. Plus, of course state tax and license fees.

Bill

------------------
99.5 Lightning
Build #247
PSP Chip/Filter
Bassani full system
White/normal options
Tamiya 1/10 scale Bolt
Several old trucks/cars
Thunder & Lightning
Rag Doll Cats
E-mail MOSTOYSINC@AOL.com
Kennesaw, Ga. (Atlanta)

Old 09-16-2000, 10:12 AM
Ya....I've got to be careful what I say, big brother could be watching. I'll probably go back into the closet and just observe. I guess I'm really proud of what I'm able to do everyday, its hard to call it work when you enjoy what you do. The Blackwood has been a fun project and It's exciting to hear people start to talk about it. We always like to hear feedback.

I also have a Lightning, wow...what a fun truck!

Take care....
M.S.

Old 09-16-2000, 11:26 AM
Really Old "Member"
Hey Mike:

Well, you are out of the closet now, might as well stay out. BTW, sorry I misspelled your name. Pretty dumb, as my son is a Michael also. Guess that's why I always call him Mike

I understand your enthusiasm for your present job. I spent 25 years as a manager/executive with Volvo and SAAB-Scania in four countries and except for the last year had an absolute ball. The last year was 1990/1991 after GM purchased SAAB. Not a fun time. The other 24 were basically great, and I had the opportunity to work on some of their more interesting projects. Being in the Parts and Service end, I got very involved in Volvo's Rallye Sport division and pretty much got to put together SAAB's equivelant for North and South America. Got some really neat company cars out of the deal!!!

Relating to my own experiences, I offer my sympathy to you regarding the Firestone tire flap. You will not comment here, but according to your job title, I'll bet you are in daily "discussions" about tire/shock/spring specs and other such things trying to meld the impossible together.
Marketing wants a "ride", sales wants a "price", engineers want "stability" finance wants "profit" and now legal wants "no hassles-at all-period", which is relatively new in the mix.

On the same subject, I have been reading the trials and tribulations of Audi and Audi owners of the A series where they are popping bubbles on their high performance thinwall tires at an alarming rate. Audi has really taken the high road and is telling owners they purchased a high performance car, they need high performance tires and they have thin sidewalls and this is going to happen, live with it. Really classy response.

Reminds me of our Lightnings. I ruined one rear tire by just clipping a slightly jagged curb. Goodyear and my Ford dealer said tough luck and it took three weeks to get a replacement. I fully realize the truck will do around 140 mph, but I doubt seriously if I ever will and certainly not for mile after mile which is how the tires are specced.

Makes it hard for the engineering types like yourself who probably know more than anyone how the vehicles are really going to be used.

Jeez, what a long post. Sorry.
Bill

Old 09-20-2000, 07:03 PM
Really Old "Member"
Michael:

Sorry if I overwhelmed you.

Raoul is used to this sort of "All Things Considered" type of postings I make from time to time. It sometimes upsets others.

Do good work with the Blackwood. Pat will buy one for sure.

By the way, I signed on for the Mercury Marauder opinion poll as I might buy one of those when the Lightning comes off lease in a year and a half. Do you have any LM intell on that one, particularly if it will be supercharged or not?

If so, I am a definite player as I indicated on their poll site.

Bill

------------------
99.5 Lightning
Build #247
PSP Chip/Filter
Bassani full system
White/normal options
Tamiya 1/10 scale Bolt
Several old trucks/cars
Thunder & Lightning
Rag Doll Cats
E-mail MOSTOYSINC@AOL.com
Kennesaw, Ga. (Atlanta)

Old 09-03-2001, 09:59 PM
Will the Merc Maurader only come in black?

Old 09-07-2001, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Harley#356
Will the Merc Maurader only come in black?
Harley#356
According to the three or four articles I have read about it, yes. I also am very interested in this car - as much as i hate to admit it on a ford forum, i regret getting rid of my 1996 Chevrolet Impala SS that I had a couple of years ago. Ford: Please make the Maurader at least equal to the performance numbers that the 1996 SS was capiable of. Also, redesign the rear door windows into one piece as opposed to the current Merc/Ford two window treatment. This would improve looks of the car more than anyone may think. Bring back the days of a fulsize RWD sport sedan!! Please?

Quick Reply: Blackwood Tailgate