Lightning

Hand porting vs Machine porting the Eaton

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I opened the outlet about a 1/4 all around. If you use a hand tool the best thing you can use is metal burrs. They eat up the metal pretty fast. Using sanding wheels will take you forever, those are good for clean up and leaving everything smooth.

Old 01-01-2004, 02:12 PM
If I had a buddy, that really new his ***** and would definitely do his very best for me, I would consider letting him hand port something for my truck. Aside from that scenario, forget about it. I tried the hand porting deal on the upper plenum and had negligible results. Repeatability is what your looking for. Go Apten if you want piece of mind that you got the same work done as the last guy.

Unless you can do it yourself, and have the time to play with it until you have it just right.

Old 01-01-2004, 02:25 PM
I dont plan to do it myself in any means. I am just curious how much better REM's port job is than captainoblivious? No offence to the way he did it, I really like how his turned out. I just want to know if the hand port is worth the $300. It sounds like it is, but then from what yall say, fork up the extra $150 and get the Apten, that is well worth the money...
Shane

Old 01-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Its obvious to me that Apten has the outlet shape nailed down, or I should say they are getting big power from their work on the outlet side.

REM just kinda fluffs up the outlet and doesn't appear to remove much metal if any at all.

I think you actually get something for you extra 150.00 with Apten. Maybe about 20 more HP or more.

To me, when somebody takes a sanding roll and just rubs it over a piece of metal.......thats not a port job. A port job is when you get in there.....move some metal, sometimes a lot of metal and change the shape to something more aerodynamic or just plain give it more volume, this is what Apten does.

Anybody can rub on a blower case with a Dremel, but.....
Dale

Old 01-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Bad as L
Its obvious to me that Apten has the outlet shape nailed down, or I should say they are getting big power from their work on the outlet side.

REM just kinda fluffs up the outlet and doesn't appear to remove much metal if any at all.

I think you actually get something for you extra 150.00 with Apten. Maybe about 20 more HP or more.

To me, when somebody takes a sanding roll and just rubs it over a piece of metal.......thats not a port job. A port job is when you get in there.....move some metal, sometimes a lot of metal and change the shape to something more aerodynamic or just plain give it more volume, this is what Apten does.

Dale
I agree 100%. Apten has shown proven results by several L owners and many Cobra owners as well. I am taking advantage of their group purchase next week. $440, normally $599. The extra $140 over REM is worth it in my opinion, especially since you don't have to mess with removing the rotors like you do with REM.

Like I said before, if REM is equivalent to Apten like a few have said, then why don't they post pics or results and steal all of Aptens business

Old 01-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 12leavu
Hey, i hand ported mine yesterday....With a conventional milling machine! It pays to be a machinest!
Hey that looks familiar....

Old 01-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by 400HPHD
Captain, How long did that process take you?? And is it true about the blower whime getting louder when the holes are plugged???
1. A couple of weeks, but I was in rush and only did a little per day.
2. Yes if you pay attention, but it's really not that much louder.
Originally posted by ShaneMcKenna203
I am just curious how much better REM's port job is than captainoblivious?
Probably. I'm just a guy who pulled of his blower and wasn't affraid to port it myself. Figured that the worse that could happen was maybe needing a new blower (and w/ the KB around the corner ....). There wasn't to much theory behind it on my part. Mostly I talked with a few people who where knowledgable (Jim, Dale, can't think of who else).

I have no clue what REM or Apten does, so I can't compare what I did. Hell, I can't even say for sure if mine did make more power.

As for the difference between REM and Apten. Like it was said, machine porting will produce the same(or extremely close) results each time. Hand ported can be more varied, but I would also say that someone who is very good may be able to make more power then what was programmed into the machine.

Originally posted by Bad as L
Hey, I used more then a dremel and sand paper

Old 01-02-2004, 03:23 PM

That is HUGE compared to normal.... How has that set up worked for you?
Shane

Old 01-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Shane [/B][/QUOTE]

It made 50 extra h.p. just kidding! I'm gonna put it on this weekend. It really just looks big in the pic, because i took those 2 steps out of it at the base.

Old 01-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Shane [/B][/QUOTE]

I just got in on today, so i really haven't had a chance to get a real good feel of it. Seems to be working great though, it feels like it's pulling better up high. I hate to say anything before i dyno it or go to the track. i'll let you know in a few days when it cools back off down here...to hot and muggy right now to tell anything.

Old 01-03-2004, 10:04 PM
12leavu
when you gonna do mine

Old 01-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Do you notice that one of those blowers is a 99/00 and the other 01+

Old 01-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by JeffsLightning
So what do a pre 01 and an 01-04 look like side by side?

Old 01-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by JeffsLightning
thats because he just took my pic and compared it to some pic he had

Old 01-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by LatemodelRacer2
12leavu
when you gonna do mine
when you buy a PULLEY

Quick Reply: Hand porting vs Machine porting the Eaton